Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Just now, IOM said:

I am not sure you can qualify that Shoprite would have been more expensive than Tesco Express. From my view of Castletown it’s considerably more expensive than Shoprite was . 

You can only compare like with like at the time and Shoprite before the acquisition was always more expensive than Tesco at the time.  I have not shopped in Tesco C'town yet so can't offer a view.

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I have not shopped in Tesco C'town yet so can't offer a view.

It's genuinely terrible, don't bother.

Like how people said, with good reason, that's shoprites approach to Sainsburys stuff was UK retail price +30%, in the express its Lake Road +30%.

Assholes.

5 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

There's no justification for the express thing, its fucking bollocks, the behaviour of absolute bastards. I hope someone firebombs it.

I think that is as close as I will get to an agreement with my post 😂

Cheers

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So you went on line and made 2 orders at 2 different stores in 5 mins? 

That high score will take some beating. 

No.

Added 50 (ish) random items to the shopping list on the app, then changed store.

It takes no time at all.

Why question it when you obviously don’t understand how to do it?

6 minutes ago, IOM said:

I am not sure you can qualify that Shoprite would have been more expensive than Tesco Express. From my view of Castletown it’s considerably more expensive than Shoprite was . 

It varies .  For example, I'd reckon fruit and veg are still a bit cheaper, but no one with any sense bought those at Shoprite except in emergency.  But other things are more expensive where you can make a direct comparison.  Of course Castletown had the advantage of Tesco stuff at Lake Road prices (mostly) for some months before the  refit, so the jump in prices feels particularly harsh.

One other point is that Expresses don't stuck Tesco's budget lines such as Growers Harvest.  So in actual fact the cheapest item of a particular sort may be considerably more than at Lake Road, not just the standard 15% or so of Express.  Again it's the poorest who will notice.

The other problem is that Castletown now doesn't have a 'proper' supermarket, just four convenience stores.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Gladys said:

You can only compare like with like at the time and Shoprite before the acquisition was always more expensive than Tesco at the time.  I have not shopped in Tesco C'town yet so can't offer a view.

I agree that Shoprite was in the main more expensive than Lake Road was prior to the acquisition. I don’t think you can say however it was always more expensive they used to have a selection of products that they advertised as the same price or cheaper than Tesco . 

30 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

No.

Added 50 (ish) random items to the shopping list on the app, then changed store.

It takes no time at all.

Why question it when you obviously don’t understand how to do it?

Cheeky boy. I do know how to do it but I couldn't select 50 random items and then again in 5 mins. 

If I ever win an e supermarket dash I'll get you to stand in for me. 

3 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Cheeky boy. I do know how to do it but I couldn't select 50 random items and then again in 5 mins. 

If I ever win an e supermarket dash I'll get you to stand in for me. 

You don’t have to do it again 😂. You just do it once, then 2 seconds to get the same prices from any other Tesco in Britain for the same items

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The other problem is that Castletown now doesn't have a 'proper' supermarket, just four convenience stores.

This is probably market forces though, population of just over 3k. Whereas Port Erin/Ballasalla have grown significantly Castletown hasn't so catchment fairly low by today's standards.

49 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I hope they are paying more than they do in the Uk then, because this was an announcement last week.

Tesco has reached a pay rise agreement with the Usdaw union that will significantly increase the hourly pay for colleagues in stores from £11.02 to £12.02 per hour – above the 2024 'real' Living Wage outside London.”

I have also just realised that on 1st April, their previous wage of £11.02 would have become less than the new minimum wage in the HK.

What a generous employer, waiting until they were legally obliged to offer a pay increase

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

shoprites approach to Sainsburys stuff was UK retail price +30%

Sainsburys would have added their markup onto what they paid for it, and then Shoprite would have to pay shipping and add there own markup

1 minute ago, Mercenary said:

This is probably market forces though, population of just over 3k. Whereas Port Erin/Ballasalla have grown significantly Castletown hasn't so catchment fairly low by today's standards.

I think you are right . I feel for those local businesses in Castletown though when people realise what’s going on it will be even less footfall in that area .