Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

It does. However the procedure is that the company has to give notice of risk of redundancy to all the staff. They then have to consult and attempt to find alternate roles during that period. I know it's probably not much consolation, but some staff might be redeployed to different roles.

I did wonder about the consultation, but both Tesco and Shoprite would have been fully advised.

44 minutes ago, newaccount said:

No Tupe legislation in IOM. That's something lOM Government could have done to protect workers.

Presumably there was no trade union recognition as well otherwise we would have heard 

The island is too small to make TUPE work.

You get the odd thing like Shoprite/ Tesco that due to the amount of peeps involved it may just about scrape by but generally the islands businesses are too small.

Edited by Blade Runner

27 minutes ago, newaccount said:

No Tupe legislation in IOM. That's something lOM Government could have done to protect workers.

Presumably there was no trade union recognition as well otherwise we would have heard 

TUPE means that if there is a transfer of a business (as opposed to buying the whole company), the employees transfer too on their existing terms,  but not sure it protects against redundancy.  It is who is responsible for any redundancies that is then the issue, the seller or buyer and it is often factored into the price. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

It does. However the procedure is that the company has to give notice of risk of redundancy to all the staff. They then have to consult and attempt to find alternate roles during that period. I know it's probably not much consolation, but some staff might be redeployed to different roles.

@CrazyDave. What has confused you? It's not that complicated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

just hope there is enough in the pension scheme to keep everyone happy  sometimes  these things have sad endings , ,

I think there is water to go under the bridge yet ,and sincerely hope  the sale and staffing position have  an easy  transition  , 

I dont think a handful of redundos is going to make much impact on tesco finances 

7 hours ago, Omobono said:

smylies but thet were mainly wholesale 

Smylies were in the unit on the diagonal corner to Loweys, backing on to Marina Lane, they moved to the Cooil road and were taken over by Agrimark. Edmunson electrical took on the Derby square unit.

2 minutes ago, mollag said:

The same John 👍

I don’t remember TE Lowey Cash & Carry. I knew a TE Lowey - retired police sergeant. Think his office was up there. He ran an enquiry agency. Sitting in his car outside houses overnight to gather evidence of comings and goings and over night staying as corroboration in adultery cases.

Often it was contrived, husband and wife agreed and he was tipped off.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mollag said:

Smylies were in the unit on the diagonal corner to Loweys, backing on to Marina Lane, they moved to the Cooil road and were taken over by Agrimark. Edmunson electrical took on the Derby square unit.

Did the smylies place eventually become securicor ?