Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

Is there a 5-25p premium on most items at Lake Road? I’ve noticed a 2-3% increase on something’s.

There is on a lot of things now, but there are also a lot of Aldi price matches and when things actually are that bit dearer here than in the UK, there is often a multibuy Clubcard offer that means whilst you will pay 5% extra for one unit, you can have two (or whatever the offer is) for the UK price. If the item you buy is not on offer there may well be a similar item that is. The price matches/offers tend to be on popular staple items. People keep quoting price differences without taking this into account, as I posted in detail over the weekend.

Overall, although some things are even more than 5% more expensive (Mrs W has seen up to 20% in an isolated case), we concur with your estimate of about 3% including items that are up on the UK and those that are the same. Obviously it depends on your specific basket. It was around 2% differential before the takeover, so it has moved but only a little. It remains to be seen what happens next.

27 minutes ago, woolley said:

There is on a lot of things now, but there are also a lot of Aldi price matches and when things actually are that bit dearer here than in the UK, there is often a multibuy Clubcard offer that means whilst you will pay 5% extra for one unit, you can have two (or whatever the offer is) for the UK price. If the item you buy is not on offer there may well be a similar item that is. The price matches/offers tend to be on popular staple items. People keep quoting price differences without taking this into account, as I posted in detail over the weekend.

Overall, although some things are even more than 5% more expensive (Mrs W has seen up to 20% in an isolated case), we concur with your estimate of about 3% including items that are up on the UK and those that are the same. Obviously it depends on your specific basket. It was around 2% differential before the takeover, so it has moved but only a little. It remains to be seen what happens next.

They're still peddling a load of shite, bottom of the pile in the UK Sainsbury', Morrisons, Waitrose, Booths etc are far superior but they somehow seem to keep you and Gladys happy!

Edited by finlo

13 minutes ago, finlo said:

They're still peddling a load of shite, bottom of the pile in the UK Sainsbury', Morrisons, Waitrose, Booths etc are far superior but they somehow seem to keep and Gladys you happy!

Utter nonsense, as usual. There is little difference in quality from the big UK supermarkets. A lot of the stuff is made on the same lines in the same factories, as is made embarrassingly obvious when there are product recalls.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

Utter nonsense, as usual. There is little difference in quality from the big UK supermarkets. A lot of the stuff is made on the same lines in the same factories, as is made embarrassingly obvious when there are product recalls.

If you keep telling yourself that over and over then I suppose you have no other choice than to believe it!

• Like 1

Just now, finlo said:

If you keep telling yourself that over and over then I suppose you have no other choice than to believe it!

You've produced nothing to convince me to the contrary. Just meaningless bile against a successful company. Did you have a corner shop and they opened a branch nearby or something, because that's the only logical explanation for your rancid stance.

1 minute ago, woolley said:

You've produced nothing to convince me to the contrary. Just meaningless bile against a successful company. Did you have a corner shop and they opened a branch nearby or something, because that's the only logical explanation for your rancid stance.

I'm guessing your experience of them doesn't go beyond buying your Wurthers originals from them.

There's little to choose between the products of the big 4. Even within the same stores the tertiary range product is often exactly the same as the main own brand product.

Tesco own brand 400g cheese is £3.00 UK or £3.15 IOM.

Creamfields, their tertiary brand is £2.49 Aldi price match in both places. Same product, different label.

6 hours ago, finlo said:

They're still peddling a load of shite, bottom of the pile in the UK Sainsbury', Morrisons, Waitrose, Booths etc are far superior but they somehow seem to keep you and Gladys happy!

Booths is certainly a much better shopping experience, but:

a. It comes at a price

b. There isn’t one here

I try and call into Garstang, or Scotforth or Carnforth on my way to the boat.

However, if you think Morrisons is superior to Tesco, it’s for you, but I disagree. Sainsbury is no better than its competitors nowadays and Asda is a mixed bag. Waitrose, standards have slipped.

8 hours ago, finlo said:

I am not a blind fan of Tesco, but they suit me in terms of quality, range and price.  Although the latter may not be the edge in the future, we shall see.

My position has been to compare them with Shoprite, as was.  Shoprite was always very much second-rate in comparison, IMO, and I have always said that that was due to their comparable buying power. 

The simple fact is that Shoprite have sold their stores, presumably because it was what the owners wanted and suited them in terms of price and ongoing revenue from rent.  It was a commercial decision.

I just don't understand the personal offence that some people seem to be taking at Tesco, a waste of emotion.  The deal is done, we have yet to see how this will impact in prices, so as IOM says, if people are price sensitive, shop around or modify what you buy in Tesco. 

I do not understand the Internet equivalent of sticking pins in voodoo dolls; it isn't going to undo the deal, nor is it going to encourage another supermarket to come here.  We have what we have and we have yet to see just how it will settle once all the stores are converted. 

As for peddling a load of shite, they stock most well known grocery brands, are they all shite? 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, woolley said:

Sorry I have always made reference to Aldi price match and Club card offers being the same price if you look back at any of my posts . The fact is that out of the whole store those two combined account for circa 1000 products . As I have repeatedly said Lake Road will stock around 15000 plus lines so there are 14000 to vary . Do you really think nobody buys these products because I can tell you for sure Tesco wouldn’t stock them if they didn’t ! To be honest the more I examine it the more I believe the inflationary effect is more than 3% but only time will tell .