Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

6 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think a better solution would be

1) a more even distribution of the current retailers . The addition of a small number of M and S simply stores , a larger coop in Douglas and one in the South . And just to be clear I would have had added more Tesco stores just maybe not nine . 

2) One large Aldi or Lidl based on the outskirts of Douglas maybe near the B and Q site . 

This way you end up with a more balanced offer which ensures a competitive landscape and offers those that want to trade up more options . 

But how? 

That is not a solution, just a wish list with no hint as to how to achieve it, action by who and at whose cost? 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And will the catchment market support that?

My preferred solution is an M&S food store, with delivery

One Aldi or Lidl

A Booths

With those I’d abandon Tesco

Yes I think the catchment area would support that . Take a look at the retail landscape of Jersey admittedly it’s got another 15000 residents but there is a much broader retail landscape down there which includes 

Waitrose 3 full size stores 

Several M and Simple plus a large M and S 

Morrisons ( operated as a franchise by Sandpiper) 

Several Coop

Iceland 

So a fairly balanced retail landscape although with a more of a premium skew ( something which is lacking here given we only have the one M and S ) 

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

As for peddling a load of shite, they stock most well known grocery brands, are they all shite? 

Their branded stuff no, however there was a program on TV a few weeks ago forensically examining supermarket own brand stuff showing how many ingredients had been removed then bulked out with "cheap shite"

Care to guess who were the worst offenders by a country mile?

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

But how? 

That is not a solution, just a wish list with no hint as to how to achieve it, action by who and at whose cost? 

I was asked a question to provide what did I see as a better solution . I answered that question . You keep asking me how - i  am just offering my view of the ideal solution. I agree it’s not easy to get there but if we had in place the proper legislation to begin with it might have been easier . And if you note with the exception of Aldi or Lidl my solution uses all existing retailers here so does not introduce a whole load of new entrants who don’t have a route to market. 

Just now, IOM said:

I was asked a question to provide what did I see as a better solution . I answered that question . You keep asking me how - i  am just offering my view of the ideal solution. I agree it’s not easy to get there but if we had in place the proper legislation to begin with it might have been easier . And if you note with the exception of Aldi or Lidl my solution uses all existing retailers here so does not introduce a whole load of new entrants who don’t have a route to market. 

But it isn’t a solution, it is an outcome of the solution. 

Just now, Gladys said:

But it isn’t a solution, it is an outcome of the solution. 

Well at least I have offered a view . That’s my opinion I appreciate others might think differently they are entitled to their view . I try to offer an opinion based on logic but equally have accepted it’s not easy. But never say never I very much doubt it will stay as it is before long some of the other retailers ( Coop M and S Aldi ) may think it’s worth investing over here .

I don't see the point of Teso doing a price check with Aldi. I thought the whole point of these things was to show that it was no cheaper at the other store, so there was no point in going there. As there isn't an Aldi here, why do the price check?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well at least I have offered a view . That’s my opinion I appreciate others might think differently they are entitled to their view . I try to offer an opinion based on logic but equally have accepted it’s not easy. But never say never I very much doubt it will stay as it is before long some of the other retailers ( Coop M and S Aldi ) may think it’s worth investing over here .

I accept that it is your view, but wanting something to be doesn't make it happen. 

That is the point really. 

Edited by Gladys

3 minutes ago, kevster said:

I don't see the point of Teso doing a price check with Aldi. I thought the whole point of these things was to show that it was no cheaper at the other store, so there was no point in going there. As there isn't an Aldi here, why do the price check?

Because it is a store-wide thing? 

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I accept that it is your view, but wanting something to be doesn't make it happen. 

That is the point really. 

I don’t I have ever specifically said it would happen but it would for sure be a better outcome than the current. I guess there are several views 

1) those happy with the Tesco acquisition 

2) those that are unhappy and demonstrate the disadvantages 

3) those that are unhappy but sit on their hands and do and say nothing . 

I will also be in the second category. I will always aim to try and do what I can even if in this case it’s highlighting some of the problems that are emerging so at least people can then understand it and make an informed decision. Sitting on my hands and shrugging my shoulders is not in my nature ! 

18 minutes ago, IOM said:

I don’t I have ever specifically said it would happen but it would for sure be a better outcome than the current. I guess there are several views 

1) those happy with the Tesco acquisition 

2) those that are unhappy and demonstrate the disadvantages 

3) those that are unhappy but sit on their hands and do and say nothing . 

I will also be in the second category. I will always aim to try and do what I can even if in this case it’s highlighting some of the problems that are emerging so at least people can then understand it and make an informed decision. Sitting on my hands and shrugging my shoulders is not in my nature ! 

That's fine, but there comes a point where you either come up with a solution or let it pass.  People can make their own minds up and whether it suits them or not will become quickly apparent when they do their weekly shop. 

Happy to discuss, but you have to decide whether to actually do something rather than complain on an Internet forum.  Perhaps have a conversation with the local Tesco manager, or start your own FB page solely for the purpose of highlighting the price disparities of our stores to those elsewhere.  That may actually grab Tesco's attention, whether it will change anything is another matter. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

That's fine, but there comes a point where you either come up with a solution or let it pass.  People can make their own minds up and whether it suits them or not will become quickly apparent when they do their weekly shop. 

Happy to discuss, but you have to decide whether to actually do something rather than complain on an Internet forum.  Perhaps have a conversation with the local Tesco manager, or start your own FB page solely for the purpose of highlighting the price disparities of our stores to those elsewhere.  That may actually grab Tesco's attention, whether it will change anything is another matter. 

But why should I let it pass in an open forum for views and opinions. This thread is littered with comments from people that are factually incorrect. If I can go some way to changing that and making them realise what they are saying is wrong isn’t that a good thing ? Personally I think too many people don’t look beyond the obvious ( in this case they think Tesco is wonderful) and by not understanding it better they end up perpetuating the problem . Companies like Tesco thrive on that it’s why I would say there is a lot of smoke and mirrors ( they offer Aldi price match on a selected range of products a range of special offers ) and hope that makes people think they are competitive and cheap . All the while they are premium pricing outside of those two mechanisms . 

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Irony alert

To be honest I just don’t get why people want to shut debates down and complain themselves about too much debate and discussion about something. It’s not like people are forced to read these forums if people don’t want to be  bothered then that’s fair enough stop reading the thread ! 

I'm sure we would all love an Aldi or lidl (or both) on the Island,Both companies will no doubt have looked into the Island, but they will  have found it's just not economically viable, you just have to look at their turnover and profit, so see that they wouldn't even break even after taking shipping costs into concideration.

• Like 1