Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

If a shop of 122 items results in just a £1 difference, then is there an issue?  Presumably a large number of those items will be the usual staples, whether on offer or not, so would be common to many other people's shopping list (unless it is all Champagne, pate and smoked salmon). 

17 minutes ago, IOM said:

And within those 122 items you likely have selected Aldi price match lines and club card special offers . Probably very little from outside those two groups . Nothing wrong with that you are choosing to shop key items and special offers . Most other people won’t . 

Why wouldn't a prudent, cost-aware shopper not avail themselves of the offers? 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I like to buy what I want, not what they try to encourage me to want.

I hate offers full stop.  Just sell stuff for a fair price to everyone all the time 

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

If a shop of 122 items results in just a £1 difference, then is there an issue?  Presumably a large number of those items will be the usual staples, whether on offer or not, so would be common to many other people's shopping list (unless it is all Champagne, pate and smoked salmon). 

Don't forget the foie gras and roquefort...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

I like to buy what I want, not what they try to encourage me to want.

I hate offers full stop.  Just sell stuff for a fair price to everyone all the time 

Yes, but if what you want is on offer, would you not take the offer?  It is entirely up to you if you want to take it or not.  Others may be grateful for it. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WTF said:

most people buys key items , if they didn't they wouldn't classed as key items, they'd just be items. 

Well yes they will buy key items but they will buy a lot more besides beyond that set of products otherwise Tesco would not stock them !!

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Ok then explain why Tesco choose to have around 15000 products in the store if nobody wants them or is buying them ? 

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Then you don’t understand what is going on it’s not factually incorrect . I suggest you take a further look at the pricing outside of Aldi price match and club card special offers . The vast majority of products now carry a premium to the U.K. it’s a fact . 

OK, but in a typical basket those Aldi price match and Clubcard offers are going to represent a good proportion of the total shop because by their nature, they are some of the biggest selling lines. I take your point that they are a minority of many thousands of unique lines, but they probably are the majority by volume sold.

My main bones of contention with your approach are that you highlight the new differentials against the UK, but give insufficient weight to the fact that many of the most popular items that carry those differentials can easily be bought as part of a Clubcard or multibuy offer at the UK price. You'll remember that in your list of 5, I pointed out 3 where this was the case. You also imply that an IOM uplift is an entirely new departure and that prices were 100% at par with the UK before, but this was not the case. I think that all things taken into account, our original UK+3% estimate for a shop here is pretty accurate. As has been said, this is not cast in stone. It's a developing situation.

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well yes they will buy key items but they will buy a lot more besides beyond that set of products otherwise Tesco would not stock them !!

Yes, but they certainly won't sell as many of some items as others, so an Aldi price matched fmcg item that flies off the shelf will carry far more weight in calculating the total price difference between UK and IOM than the slowest moving item in the store that had 5% (or even 20%) added to it.

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok then explain why Tesco choose to have around 15000 products in the store if nobody wants them or is buying them ? 

They have very many customers. There's a lot of leeway between "everybody" and "nobody".

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

you don't buy a new mop or new set of crockery etc every week but they still stock them.  just because one person buys heinz and kellogs products doesn't mean everybody does ,  some buy other brands , if they have the shelf space to offer choice so people keep coming back and can get their preferred selection of goods at the same place then tesco will offer multiple ranges to facilitate that ,  they don't stock every range of tinned soup , or indeed every flavour of a particular manufacturers range of products , e.g. they don't stock  baxters cream of mushroom soup at lake road , in fact the only place i have ever seen it for sale locally is paul howards at rosemount ( not recently sadly ) the most palatable cream of mushroom soup i can find is M&S own brand . tescos will only stock what they can sell before the quantity they have had to buy is sold before its sell by date, no point otherwise.

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

OK, but in a typical basket those Aldi price match and Clubcard offers are going to represent a good proportion of the total shop because by their nature, they are some of the biggest selling lines. I take your point that they are a minority of many thousands of unique lines, but they probably are the majority by volume sold.

My main bones of contention with your approach are that you highlight the new differentials against the UK, but give insufficient weight to the fact that many of the most popular items that carry those differentials can easily be bought as part of a Clubcard or multibuy offer at the UK price. You'll remember that in your list of 5, I pointed out 3 where this was the case. You also imply that an IOM uplift is an entirely new departure and that prices were 100% at par with the UK before, but this was not the case. I think that all things taken into account, our original UK+3% estimate for a shop here is pretty accurate. As has been said, this is not cast in stone. It's a developing situation.

Ok so how many Club card offers and multibuys are there and how many Aldi price match are there ? I can tell you about 1000 combined. Then ask yourself how many products there are in the store . I can tell you it’s about 15000 so there remains a lot of product that varies . If you only buy club card offers and Aldi price match as John appears to then that’s fine but you are allowing Tesco to determine what you consume . Some people prefer to buy to their own choice and preferred favourite brands .,