Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Just now, Fred the shred said:

They seem to change the items in the imaginary basket from time to time and I think sometimes it is just to show what they want you to see sort of a smoke and mirrors effect.   I know a good accountant can make figures show what needs to be shown , without any wrongdoing, presentation is everything .   It is swings and roundabouts with shopping and if you have the time and means to shop around and take advantage of offers you have a distinct advantage.    As for shopping daily that is what I would describe as hand to mouth shopping and such a waste of time but each to their own .

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

And yet another misrepresentation

See if any of these random products are misrepresented. The first price is Tesco Uk the second Lake Road 

Anchor spreadable butter 400g 335 v 350

kellogs cornflakes 720g 320v 335

Penguin Biscuits 7 pack 175 v 185

Whole Earth smooth peanut butter 450v 475

Mars Duo chocolate bar 100v 105

Onken Yogurt Mango and passion fruit 195 v 205

Tesco Unsmoked Dry cure bacon 6 slices 350v 370

Richmond Sausages 250 v 265

Hartleys Strawberry jam 170v 180

Bonne Maman 370g conserve 345 v 380

5 mini Mr Kipling Battenberg 250v 265

Andrex super quilted toilet rolls x9 650 v 685

Rowse honey 680g 400v 420

mccain straight cut oven chips 1.6kg 430 v 450

Baby plum tomatoes 300g 100v 105

Tesco mini carrots 320g 100v 105

Tesco tinned marrow fat peas 300g 50v 55

Tesco Garden Peas 290g 50v 55

• Like 1

I'm afraid you'll all have to suffer.  There's been so much quibbling I've had to do one of my tables.  Here's the number of lines currently at Lake Road according to the website:

Lines Spec Offs
Fresh 3020 1144
Bakery 634 103
Frozen 810 139
Food Cub 4676 1186
Drinks 2377 899
Health & B 2229 772
Pets 595 90
Household 864 638
Home & Ents 1326 193
Baby & Tod* 400 100
  16931 5264

Baby and Tod is a bit of an estimate as I reduced it due to some overlap with Household etc and I haven't included categories such as Snacks or easter, though it's possible they have some unique items under them.  But 18,000 seems a good if high working estimate.  Note also the high number of special offers (which doesn't appear to include price match).

• Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, IOM said:

See if any of these random products are misrepresented. The first price is Tesco Uk the second Lake Road 

Anchor spreadable butter 400g 335 v 350

kellogs cornflakes 720g 320v 335

Penguin Biscuits 7 pack 175 v 185

Whole Earth smooth peanut butter 450v 475

Mars Duo chocolate bar 100v 105

Onken Yogurt Mango and passion fruit 195 v 205

Tesco Unsmoked Dry cure bacon 6 slices 350v 370

Richmond Sausages 250 v 265

Hartleys Strawberry jam 170v 180

Bonne Maman 370g conserve 345 v 380

5 mini Mr Kipling Battenberg 250v 265

Andrex super quilted toilet rolls x9 650 v 685

Rowse honey 680g 400v 420

mccain straight cut oven chips 1.6kg 430 v 450

Baby plum tomatoes 300g 100v 105

Tesco mini carrots 320g 100v 105

Tesco tinned marrow fat peas 300g 50v 55

Tesco Garden Peas 290g 50v 55

Pretty good I think, the additional operating costs on the IoM probably exceed some of those markups when everything is taken into consideration?

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm afraid you'll all have to suffer.  There's been so much quibbling I've had to do one of my tables.  Here's the number of lines currently at Lake Road according to the website:

Lines Spec Offs
Fresh 3020 1144
Bakery 634 103
Frozen 810 139
Food Cub 4676 1186
Drinks 2377 899
Health & B 2229 772
Pets 595 90
Household 864 638
Home & Ents 1326 193
Baby & Tod* 400 100
  16931 5264

Baby and Tod is a bit of an estimate as I reduced it due to some overlap with Household etc and I haven't included categories such as Snacks or easter, though it's possible they have some unique items under them.  But 18,000 seems a good if high working estimate.  Note also the high number of special offers (which doesn't appear to include price match).

This is very  helpful thankyou . I will apologise for estimating the number of special offers at such a low level 5000 is considerably more than I thought . That said my estimate for the total line count of the store was fairly accurate so even if you assume the line count is circa 17000 then you arrive at about 11000 lines that can vary slightly -slightly lower than my original 13000 . In my earlier post I demonstrated another random selection of these variations. 

I did my own exercise with items I frequently buy, measured against Tesco superstore in Liverpool 1.  May have been better to compare with another island superstore, but any way.

Some items, which I would class as basic necessities, were the same, some were dearer here around 5% of UK prices rounded to the nearest 10p. 

It was hardly exhaustive, but yes, it would seem there is a premium being applied.  Is it profiteering?  Well, given the higher transport costs, probably not, but to be absolutely sure, I suppose we need to compare total actual sales priced here against the same items priced in the UK plus freight. 

26 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Pretty good I think, the additional operating costs on the IoM probably exceed some of those markups when everything is taken into consideration?

Except that nothing has changed when it comes to Lake Road the operation in that store is exactly the same as it was before the acquisition. 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

This is very  helpful thankyou . I will apologise for estimating the number of special offers at such a low level 5000 is considerably more than I thought . That said my estimate for the total line count of the store was fairly accurate so even if you assume the line count is circa 17000 then you arrive at about 11000 lines that can vary slightly -slightly lower than my original 13000 . In my earlier post I demonstrated another random selection of these variations. 

but how many special offers are actually special offers ??? more likely they are marketing tools , the only real special offers will be when there is overstocking ( didn't sell as well as expected )  or end of line stuff they want to clear the shelves of to make room for new stock. the MFI 'sale' lasted about 20 years.

Edited by WTF

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

I did my own exercise with items I frequently buy, measured against Tesco superstore in Liverpool 1.  May have been better to compare with another island superstore, but any way.

Some items, which I would class as basic necessities, were the same, some were dearer here around 5% of UK prices rounded to the nearest 10p. 

It was hardly exhaustive, but yes, it would seem there is a premium being applied.  Is it profiteering?  Well, given the higher transport costs, probably not, but to be absolutely sure, I suppose we need to compare total actual sales priced here against the same items priced in the UK plus freight. 

Well at least you are starting to get the point about a premium I find it very frustrating when people say I am being disingenuous and misleading. 

I don’t think it’s profiteering but it is a premium for those people who shopped at Lake Road or online . In effect they are probably going to be subsidising the old Shoprite shoppers but only time will tell . 

Just now, WTF said:

but how many special offers are actually special offers ???  the MFI 'sale' lasted about 20 years.

Who knows but perhaps when you start to read some of my posts and analysis you can see that I don’t talk xxxx all the time which is what you ‘kindly ‘  posted the other week ! 

Just now, IOM said:

Who knows but perhaps when you start to read some of my posts and analysis you can see that I don’t talk xxxx all the time which is what you ‘kindly ‘  posted the other week ! 

perhaps, but it still sounds like shit to me.  😉

1 hour ago, emesde said:

Not sure as the report doesn't specify.But I believe it is product items.

Obviously if it was SKU it would give a higher figure . However it would also give a false and inflated product figure as every different pack of the same product would need it's own designated number. Eg if there was a consumer offer or added value pack etc etc .

10 tins of Heinz beans would be 10 items but only 1 SKU

26 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Liverpool 1.  May have been better to compare with another island superstore, but any way.

Liverpool 1 and all the other island superstores pay exactly the same (based on what I have seen) so it makes no diffference.

22 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well at least you are starting to get the point about a premium I find it very frustrating when people say I am being disingenuous and misleading. 

I don’t think it’s profiteering but it is a premium for those people who shopped at Lake Road or online . In effect they are probably going to be subsidising the old Shoprite shoppers but only time will tell . 

I have never disputed whether there is a premium or not, or your reported discrepancies.  What I have disputed is what can be done about it, if anything, by who and at whose cost? 

I have also questioned whether these increases are anywhere near the mark ups Shoprite had, so are we, generally, any worse off?

• Like 2