Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

On 3/12/2024 at 9:16 AM, IOM said:

So why were they able to exactly match the U.K. price at Lake Road on everything prior to the Shoprite acquisition? They were paying the freight costs then . 

You've asked this a few times now, so I'll give it a go.

First off, things weren't exactly the same before. There were always some things priced higher. Alcohol and bulky products like nappies, toilet rolls, etc. come to mind. I'd say possibly a 2% effect on an IOM shop back then. Now with the differentials on a much wider range of items (but ameliorated by many Clubcard offers on popular lines that remain at par with the UK) we reckon it's now up to about 3%. So depending how you want to look at it, the uplift has gone up by one percentage point, or in cash terms it's 50% more than it was pre Shoprite takeover by our calculations on our Tesco shops here against our Tesco shops across.

Beyond that, I would surmise that they are taking more notice now. It was one Tesco shop before. Maybe they weren't so au fait with the prices of the competition they were up against here, and perhaps their shipping costs got lost in their national logistics overhead. They've just done a deal to take a bigger share. Could be that Shoprite have assisted them in the nuts and bolts as part of the deal? In any case, they have Shoprite's books open on their desk, so they can draw their own conclusions.

When I heard about the deal, this was the very first thing I thought of. They are going to take a lot more notice of the IOM pricing. Previously, it did always feel like we were getting a bit of a free ride in a very low margin sector. Between here and Heysham is one very expensive piece of water. I've spent millions on it over the years.

If I had been running Tesco Isle of Man, I tell you I could have made that one store an awful lot more profitable than it was, but it would have been at the expense of the Manx public. I'm also pretty sure I would have let Shoprite keep their shops and stuck with the one. But then I don't have the books, and I can't see what they can see.

25 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

They each just give me a list.  They shouldn’t have to think or worry about if they could get it cheaper at a different branch or by buying in different quantities.  I guess I will do that and shield them from it, and I guess I am in a minority in thinking it’s unfair.

No. If that's the way it shakes out then it is unfair. Changing it is a different matter.

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wow.

Here goes then with the bit I didn’t want to share because people constantly take the piss.

I was using her as an example.  She gives me £40 a week for her shopping, and I give her a random amount of change upto £4 because that’s what she thinks her shopping costs.

Last week it was nearly £65.  The truth is in 2024 she can’t afford the little luxuries she gets pleasure from, but I make sure she still gets them.

I ditched the final paragraph, but fair play to you on that.

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Wow.

Here goes then with the bit I didn’t want to share because people constantly take the piss.

I was using her as an example.  She gives me £40 a week for her shopping, and I give her a random amount of change upto £4 because that’s what she thinks her shopping costs.

Last week it was nearly £65.  The truth is in 2024 she can’t afford the little luxuries she gets pleasure from, but I make sure she still gets them.

The point is I hate tescos business model And you won’t ever change my mind.  I will stick to the Co-op and wish we had shoprite back because their pricing was at least transparent and consistent.

Nothing to reply 'Wow' to, just ask her if she is happy to have something on offer, if it is a different brand or size.  She may not be able to use up the item if it is a larger size, or has an absolute preference for a particular brand.  Checking that is hardly offensive, particularly if it could save her some money. 

However, you seem to be subsidising her shop, so no need and good for you for being so kind. 

1 hour ago, woolley said:

You really have to help yourself by looking at the best buying options for the home just as you do in business. It's a transaction when all is said and done. You are not misrepresenting individual items, but you are misrepresenting the way people select those items in the real world. Every time you and @CrazyDave come out with another list of items you miss the best ways to buy them economically. I wouldn't send the two of you shopping.

But you are assuming everyone shops like you do . I honestly don’t think I am misrepresenting how people shop you would be surprised what happens in reality . And on some of your points some people  don’t want three of every item or two packets of bacon or a 1kg of peanut butter it’s way too much for a lot of people . 
Also I don’t understand the thinking here if the lines were not viable Tesco would stock them they know for sure some people will buy them outside of offer and there’s where they make extra money . And part of the reason I posted this stuff is to highlight it . You might be surprised but a lot of people have no idea what’s going on they just select what they want and pay at the till . At least by highlighting it all it’s making it clearer for people and surely that’s a good thing ?
Sounds like you are clued up on it all though which is good but honestly don’t assume everyone is . And finally worth reminding before the acquisition nearly everything at Lake Road was the same as the U.K. but that’s no longer the case ! 

25 minutes ago, woolley said:

You've asked this a few times now, so I'll give it a go.

First off, things weren't exactly the same before. There were always some things priced higher. Alcohol and bulky products like nappies, toilet rolls, etc. come to mind. I'd say possibly a 2% effect on an IOM shop back then. Now with the differentials on a much wider range of items (but ameliorated by many Clubcard offers on popular lines that remain at par with the UK) we reckon it's now up to about 3%. So depending how you want to look at it, the uplift has gone up by one percentage point, or in cash terms it's 50% more than it was pre Shoprite takeover by our calculations on our Tesco shops here against our Tesco shops across.

Beyond that, I would surmise that they are taking more notice now. It was one Tesco shop before. Maybe they weren't so au fait with the prices of the competition they were up against here, and perhaps their shipping costs got lost in their national logistics overhead. They've just done a deal to take a bigger share. Could be that Shoprite have assisted them in the nuts and bolts as part of the deal? In any case, they have Shoprite's books open on their desk, so they can draw their own conclusions.

When I heard about the deal, this was the very first thing I thought of. They are going to take a lot more notice of the IOM pricing. Previously, it did always feel like we were getting a bit of a free ride in a very low margin sector. Between here and Heysham is one very expensive piece of water. I've spent millions on it over the years.

If I had been running Tesco Isle of Man, I tell you I could have made that one store an awful lot more profitable than it was, but it would have been at the expense of the Manx public. I'm also pretty sure I would have let Shoprite keep their shops and stuck with the one. But then I don't have the books, and I can't see what they can see.

I completely agree with this yes they now understand the island better than they did and realise they can claw the logistics costs back from the customer . Nothing wrong with that but it’s now making shopping with them more expensive and the Lake Road customers have got nothing for it - absolutely nothing . Of course Tesco shareholders benefit I get that but that’s why I am posting to help people understand Tesco are not the saviours some people might make them out to be . Already some lines are cheaper at the Coop and in some cases M and S so worth shopping around .  I don’t see what the problem is surely highlighting it helps people ? 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Might see a bit more kick off about the express pricing when the Port Erin one shuts.

Same in Ramsey.

They have closed the one that is going to be the express.

For what I assume will be a couple of months after TT, everyone in Ramsey who wants to shop in Ramsey shoprite/tesco will have to use the new express store.

Thos people are in for a shock

Bloody hell you lot. It's not been so lively on here since COVID, the destroyed letter and Dr Glover. All over the price of beans. Everything has changed 

@IOM seems to have taken over my role of prime protagonist of JW. 

I'm sorry though, I just can't get that excited about it.  I'll shop around. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Same in Ramsey.

For what I assume will be a couple of months after TT, everyone in Ramsey who wants to shop in Ramsey shoprite/tesco will have to use the new express store.

Clarification please - will Ramsey's main store (near the town hall) be an express?

Just now, GD4ELI said:

Clarification please - will Ramsey's main store (near the town hall) be an express?

No, the one in St Pauls will be an express. They'll have that one up and running when they shut the proper one, and everyone in Ramsey will get screwed. 

Coop will do well though.

Just now, TheTeapot said:

No, the one in St Pauls will be an express. They'll have that one up and running when they shut the proper one, and everyone in Ramsey will get screwed. 

Coop will do well though.

Ta muchly. I never really cared for Shoprite, my mother loved it.

38 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Same in Ramsey.

Yes it’s interesting how they are converting the small stores first rather than the other way around it’s going to force people into an additional premium given they will have little choice although at least in Ramsey there is the larger Coop. 

2 hours ago, woolley said:

I'd turn it back on you to ask: Who has time for messing around shopping every single day? (although it's feeling a bit like that on here at the moment.) You mean to say you really do that every day?

Actually I do. Living in Ramsey we have two supermarkets. 

I make a list of what we need and decide whether that list looks more like a Shoprite/ Tesco hybrid shop or a Co op shop. Amongst the deciding factors are variety, and obviously cost. 

In terms of these the Co op is way better in terms of fresh fruit but in terms of say frozen foods Shoprite is better.  Both stock wines I like so I have to look at my cellar to decide which ones I am running low on so that has an influence on which I visit. I try and alternate on different days but if I have a lot of time on my hands I will do a two centre shop on the same day.

2 hours ago, CrazyDave said:

The point is I hate tescos business model And you won’t ever change my mind.  I will stick to the Co-op and wish we had shoprite back because their pricing was at least transparent and consistent.

This, and contrary to popular belief the smaller Shoprite's  pricing was/is exactly the same as the larger stores.