Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

44 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Also the clubcard plus @£7.99  a month gives a 10% discount upto £20 on upto two shops a month.

Unfortunately it’s only physical, in store, shops and doesn’t apply to on line shops.

16 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Unfortunately it’s only physical, in store, shops and doesn’t apply to on line shops.

Never been able to get a slot for those.. End up  going to the shop 😞

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

Also the clubcard plus @£7.99  a month gives a 10% discount upto £20 on upto two shops a month.

So if someone spend over £80 a month in Tesco it's worth it ..

Just need to plan ahead and consolidate the shopping into two large ones of around £200 each for maximum benefit. 

I know large families who end up spending  much more than this and so have two clubcard plus subscriptions..  so that's  4 × £200 shops covered    and a £80 saving for a £15.98 cost 

Clubcard Plus doesn't have a minimum term and you can stop whenever you want (I freeze my payments when I'm away from the island for longer periods ) 

Indeed. I posted about this some way back up the thread which now seems like a different lifetime.

If you take advantage of this, you can get 10% off your shopping (less the subscription), so effectively, you can shop for less than everyone in the UK that doesn't have it, rendering all of the arguments about price differentials redundant!

(Yes, I know this will trigger some people who will say that not everyone can do this because of mobility, income, etc, and it hits the most vulnerable who are likely to be the ones excluded. I accept those points without you having to make them.)

42 minutes ago, woolley said:

Indeed. I posted about this some way back up the thread which now seems like a different lifetime.

If you take advantage of this, you can get 10% off your shopping (less the subscription), so effectively, you can shop for less than everyone in the UK that doesn't have it, rendering all of the arguments about price differentials redundant!

(Yes, I know this will trigger some people who will say that not everyone can do this because of mobility, income, etc, and it hits the most vulnerable who are likely to be the ones excluded. I accept those points without you having to make them.)

I accept there is the club card discount you have helpfully referred to that before but it does seem odd it’s not available online . I also agree you can save with multibuys etc if you want several of one thing . The bit I get frustrated about is people saying I am being disingenuous in saying a premium has been applied to a lot of the prices at Lake Road . My analysis holds true if you want to buy one item of many things in the store that one time is now more expensive than across by anything from 5p upwards ( and that was not the case before the acquisition) . 

1 minute ago, IOM said:

I accept there is the club card discount you have helpfully referred to that before but it does seem odd it’s not available online . I also agree you can save with multibuys etc if you want several of one thing . The bit I get frustrated about is people saying I am being disingenuous in saying a premium has been applied to a lot of the prices at Lake Road . My analysis holds true if you want to buy one item of many things in the store that one time is now more expensive than across by anything from 5p upwards ( and that was not the case before the acquisition) . 

Annoys me that they won't sell me one fish finger!...,got to buy the whole bloody packet of 6!

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:
2 hours ago, John Wright said:

Never been able to get a slot for those.. End up  going to the shop 😞

Yeah, people block-book them for weeks/months in advance.   I believe I’ve been bequeathed a delivery slot in my great-aunt’s will - so that’s something!

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

accept there is the club card discount you have helpfully referred to that before but it does seem odd it’s not available online

You’re confusing two things.

Clubcard. Free. Those deals are available on line and on home delivery

Clubcard plus. You pay £7.99 each month. You get club card deals, plus you get 10% of your grocery shop on two, in store, shops a month.

3 hours ago, Kopek said:

Gosh, it's a lot of trouble to go to for a pint of Milk and some crisps!!!

It will make them money, because it’s likely that most people who pay for it never come close to realising the full benefit or getting their £7.99 back.

Anybody who plans their shopping that carefully has a void in their life that needs filling IMO, but I guess I am in the minority again.

I would say the same about anyone who books a slot days in advance then has to make sure they are home at a set time, with sufficient space in the fridge, freezer etc etc.

Sound like a woeful existence to me.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

I would say the same about anyone who books a slot days in advance then has to make sure they are home at a set time, with sufficient space in the fridge, freezer etc etc.

Sound like a woeful existence to me

What?

I book a slot, put a few staples like milk, bread, bacon, eggs, in the basket.

Then, at any time up to 23.00, the evening before delivery, I can add, or cancel, against what I have in my fridge/cupboard.

Much less stressful than going to the store.

Im away a lot. I can book a delivery for the day after I get back.

Just now, John Wright said:

What?

I book a slot, put a few staples like milk, bread, bacon, eggs, in the basket.

Then, at any time up to 23.00, the evening before delivery, I can add, or cancel, against what I have in my fridge/cupboard.

Much less stressful than going to the store.

Im away a lot. I can book a delivery for the day after I get back.

Sounds awful, but clearly suits you.

Bolocks to having to be home at a set time the day after I get back from somewhere, or thinking about what I need in advance.

I see it suits some people, but if I need something I just run into the shop, grab it and put again.

I doubt i have spent more than 10 minutes in a shop at one time at any point in the last ten years (other than doing a weekly shop for other people)

Ours is pretty much daily and takes a few minutes at most.

The co op members card is pretty good. You get member's prices ( on admittedly  a small selection of items) but you also get to chose two offers a week, one of which for me is 75p off a reasonably decent bottle of wine, the other being a similar amount off any Andrex product.

Re delivery, it would be unusual not to be able to get a slot on the same day you look for one, particularly  if you go online in the morning.

And nine times out of ten there is a promo code for free delivery which saves you £1.99, although there is usually one  99p slot in the day ( they are in 2 hour intervals).

winner, winner Chicken dinner!

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Anyway, I’m going out to dinner with a Tesco exec this evening. I’ll raise the complaints for him to take back to HQ.

Ask them why Manx Butter is 40p more in the Castletown Tesco than it is in the Coop, or S&S, or Station Garage, where in all 3 it is £2.50. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You’re confusing two things.

Clubcard. Free. Those deals are available on line and on home delivery

Clubcard plus. You pay £7.99 each month. You get club card deals, plus you get 10% of your grocery shop on two, in store, shops a month.

Sorry yes I should have written club card and club card plus I understand that . Don’t get me wrong if I am wrong about something I will own up to it - notice I said yesterday I was wrong in my estimate of the number of special offers .  Anyway whilst I admit I have not looked at all 11000 lines here are some more 

Soreen banana loaf 260g 160v170

Tesco Fruit sliced loaf 135v 140

Herta frankfuters 140g 170v 180

Peach slices in juice 410g 110v 115

Silver spoon caster sugar 1kg 225v235

Silverspoon Royal icing sugar 500g 170v 180

Pepsi max 24x 330ml 1050v 1105

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

[...] The bit I get frustrated about is people saying I am being disingenuous in saying a premium has been applied to a lot of the prices at Lake Road . My analysis holds true if you want to buy one item of many things in the store that one time is now more expensive than across by anything from 5p upwards ( and that was not the case before the acquisition) . 

I don't think anyone is denying that there is a premium - and always has been to some extent.  The real question is about how widely it is applied and whether the percentage of lines it is on has been changing recently.   Generally I get the impression that is has increased, though whether quite to the level you suggest I'm not sure.  It has been as high in the past, I think, but dropped maybe 4 to 5 years ago (there's discussion on MF elsewhere I think).

What the reason is is another matter.  I actually think that the number of items with a Manx premium was increasing even before the takeover, so it may have been happening anyway.  But it seems to have continued to be applied to more.

But in truth we won't really know the company's final intentions till the takeover has been completed, all the stores have been converted and systems integrated.  

• Like 1