Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

4 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But in truth we won't really know the company's final intentions till the takeover has been completed, all the stores have been converted and systems integrated.

I would put money on their intentions being to make as much money as they think they can get away with from a relatively captive market, while making a few nods in the direction of keeping it local, to make people think they give a shit.

See @TheTeapot’s example above about the butter.

They are a business after all, they will milk the island for everything they can get and the prices we are seeing now will only go up and up, and the IOM premium will do the same

Edited by CrazyDave

25 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

It will make them money, because it’s likely that most people who pay for it never come close to realising the full benefit or getting their £7.99 back.

Anybody who plans their shopping that carefully has a void in their life that needs filling IMO, but I guess I am in the minority again.

I would say the same about anyone who books a slot days in advance then has to make sure they are home at a set time, with sufficient space in the fridge, freezer etc etc.

Sound like a woeful existence to me.

The very idea of having to keep track of this and plan my shopping absolutely fills me with dread ! Each to their own I accept it is helpful to some people . However I can’t help thinking back to the most successful retailers at the moment Lidl , Aldi and M and S none of them have a sea of multi buys , special offers , loyal card deals etc they just focus on one price -  interesting that isn’t it ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Not really, but it’s very in keeping with the rest of this thread 😂

My point is that simple pricing without deals and complications appears to win in the market ! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

The very idea of having to keep track of this and plan my shopping absolutely fills me with dread ! Each to their own I accept it is helpful to some people . However I can’t help thinking back to the most successful retailers at the moment Lidl , Aldi and M and S none of them have a sea of multi buys , special offers , loyal card deals etc they just focus on one price -  interesting that isn’t it ? 

And the winner is, by a country mile

Tesco

Tesco is at the top of the list with an annual turnover for 2022 that amounted to €58.13 billion, according to Retail-Index. Founded in 1919, the retailer has 367,321 employees (as of 2021) and 4,673 stores (2021). Tesco's chief executive is Ken Murphy.12 Jan 2024

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

And the winner is, by a country mile

Tesco

Tesco is at the top of the list with an annual turnover for 2022 that amounted to €58.13 billion, according to Retail-Index. Founded in 1919, the retailer has 367,321 employees (as of 2021) and 4,673 stores (2021). Tesco's chief executive is Ken Murphy.12 Jan 2024

I was referring to most recent sales growth . Of course Tesco are the winner in turnover terms they have the largest number of stores ! 

7 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Some are.  Others aren’t.

Eother way, who wants to live a life where you plan your shopping like that to save a few quid?

Perhaps those where every penny counts? 

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Perhaps those where every penny counts? 

I don’t buy this.

Time is valuable, and the people you mention are probably the same ones who drive past three petrol stations to get to one where they save half a penny a litre.

Edited by CrazyDave

58 minutes ago, IOM said:

Sorry yes I should have written club card and club card plus I understand that . Don’t get me wrong if I am wrong about something I will own up to it - notice I said yesterday I was wrong in my estimate of the number of special offers .  Anyway whilst I admit I have not looked at all 11000 lines here are some more 

Soreen banana loaf 260g 160v170

Tesco Fruit sliced loaf 135v 140

Herta frankfuters 140g 170v 180

Peach slices in juice 410g 110v 115

Silver spoon caster sugar 1kg 225v235

Silverspoon Royal icing sugar 500g 170v 180

Pepsi max 24x 330ml 1050v 1105

Apparently you can (excuse the pun) get 50000 cans of pepsi into a shipping container (if packed right on pallets). At a difference of 2.3p a can, that means 50000 cans are £1100 more expensive here.

How much do the racket cost to ship a full container here then ship it back empty?

See where I'm going here?

15 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I don’t buy this.

Time is valuable, and the people you mention are probably the same ones who drive past three petrol stations to get to one where they save half a penny a litre.

Well, as they say "every little helps".