Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, IOM said:

The very idea of having to keep track of this and plan my shopping absolutely fills me with dread !

Takes a lot less time than your comparisons on here. Mrs W can be around a supermarket shop in about an hour (or if I'm with her, 40 minutes). Then that's it for at least a week.

38 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Eother way, who wants to live a life where you plan your shopping like that to save a few quid?

It's not really a question of that. People tend to know what their regular items are. They keep a list of those and add extra products to it as they go along. It isn't at all burdensome. I bet doing this and shopping once a week takes less time than being disorganised and going into the damned place every day which seems like the ultimate pain as well as being the least economical.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, woolley said:

No, they are actually saving up to £32.01 a month.

I’m not sure how you get that figure and tbh I don’t really care. 
I find it weird that people subscribe to shop at Tesco, like they do for Amazon. It reduces your choice. But then again modern people don’t consider this and see it as supposedly convenient because they are not prepared to be prepared or even think. Then they wonder why they are skint and scream ‘cost of living crisis’   They are just slaves to the consumer rhythm. It’s still fucking mental. 

Can someone please explain why any discount retailer would want to open on the IOM.

Currently Aldi have an operating profit level in the UK of 1.2 %.

With shipping costs, extra admin costs of running an off shore supermarket ,the only way would be to sell goods at a considerably higher price than they do in UK. Or sell at a substantial loss .

Why would a company do this. ??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, woolley said:

People tend to know what their regular items are. They keep a list of those and add extra products to it as they go along. It isn't at all burdensome. I bet doing this and shopping once a week takes less time than being disorganised and going into the damned place every day which seems like the ultimate pain as well as being the least economical.

People are different.

I live off the Square, so for me I'd hit the big Douglas tesco occasionally (as rarely as possible really because its in Douglas) and stock up on bigger or cupboard items, spend a few quid, but i would genuinely go in shoprite and/or the coop pretty much daily for the little things, fresh stuff and what am I having for tea. You can say its disorganised if you want, but I'm only cooking for me and the nipper for some of the week, and just me the rest of it. I didn't need to carefully plan for weeks ahead.

Also, there was always someone to speak to.

I will adapt to the changes of course, but its still a damn nuisance.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, woolley said:

Takes a lot less time than your comparisons on here. Mrs W can be around a supermarket shop in about an hour (or if I'm with her, 40 minutes). Then that's it for at least a week.

What a load of nonsense the comparisons I have done have taken minutes . Anyway I have shown they exist and I won’t be doing anymore unlike you who does that every single week ! 

5 minutes ago, Gizo said:

I’m not sure how you get that figure and tbh I don’t really care. 
I find it weird that people subscribe to shop at Tesco, like they do for Amazon. It reduces your choice. But then again modern people don’t consider this and see it as supposedly convenient because they are not prepared to be prepared or even think. Then they wonder why they are skint and scream ‘cost of living crisis’   They are just slaves to the consumer rhythm. It’s still fucking mental. 

What?

I hate Tesco, and that post makes absolutely no sense at all.

40 minutes ago, IOM said:

What a load of nonsense the comparisons I have done have taken minutes . Anyway I have shown they exist and I won’t be doing anymore unlike you who does that every single week ! 

But the comparisons you have chosen are not really standard shopping basket items they include a high number of sugary products, which most people will buy very occasionally, if at all.  

• Confused 1

If you shop at the same retailer most of the time, how would you know you are saving money?

As I said a few weeks age, retailers, in all sectors, use many tricks to make you think you are saving money with their 'special offers', 'price comparisons' and x amount off!

Currys make this easy to see, their 'reduction' sticker will tell you what it was sold at a week or so ago and their 'bargain price reduction' now but if you've been following that item you will remember that the reduced price is the same price that it was before the reduction???

They can put the price up for the required number of days, 14 I think, then reduce the price to the previous price and tell you it's a bargain reduction!!!

Don't forget, Shoprite were doing Tesco price matches in their stores just a month or so ago!!!

Don't trust big retailers???

2 hours ago, IOM said:

Sorry yes I should have written club card and club card plus I understand that . Don’t get me wrong if I am wrong about something I will own up to it - notice I said yesterday I was wrong in my estimate of the number of special offers .  Anyway whilst I admit I have not looked at all 11000 lines here are some more 

Soreen banana loaf 260g 160v170 sugar

Tesco Fruit sliced loaf 135v 140 sugar

Herta frankfuters 140g 170v 180

Peach slices in juice 410g 110v 115 sugar

Silver spoon caster sugar 1kg 225v235 sugar

Silverspoon Royal icing sugar 500g  170v 180 sugar

Pepsi max 24x 330ml 1050v 1105 sugar-free, but healthy?

On 3/13/2024 at 3:14 PM, IOM said:

See if any of these random products are misrepresented. The first price is Tesco Uk the second Lake Road 

Anchor spreadable butter 400g 335 v 350

kellogs cornflakes 720g 320v 335

Penguin Biscuits 7 pack 175 v 185 sugar

Whole Earth smooth peanut butter 450v 475 sugar

Mars Duo chocolate bar 100v 105 sugar

Onken Yogurt Mango and passion fruit 195 v 205

Tesco Unsmoked Dry cure bacon 6 slices 350v 370

Richmond Sausages 250 v 265

Hartleys Strawberry jam 170v 180 sugar

Bonne Maman 370g conserve 345 v 380 sugar

5 mini Mr Kipling Battenberg 250v 265 sugar

Andrex super quilted toilet rolls x9 650 v 685

Rowse honey 680g 400v 420 sweet, possubly healthy

mccain straight cut oven chips 1.6kg 430 v 450

Baby plum tomatoes 300g 100v 105

Tesco mini carrots 320g 100v 105

Tesco tinned marrow fat peas 300g 50v 55

Tesco Garden Peas 290g 50v 55

Another sugar fest.  The tinned peas probably also have a fair bit of sugar.

The point I am making is that there is a high skew in your results.  CBA going back any further, but each of your comparisons struck me at the time as having a lot of prepared sweet and sugary food.  Not a lot of fresh or unprocessed stuff.