Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

I will take unsophisticated in shopping habits as a compliment.  I can’t image a thing more dull than spending anymore than the minimum time required diving into a supermarket.  The idea of thinking about it beforehand and weighing up options on a run of beans makes me shudder.

Time spent in a farm shop or a deli can be a pleasers, but Tesco or the co-op?  In and out with the minimum hassle of brain power thanks.  It’s like hoovering or ironing.  Just a chore.

Well Woolley is obviously married to Gladys and they think its wonderful!

• Haha 2

43 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Agree...Looks like there are people who would be happy to go to Tesco multiple times a week ..  I am happy with my weekly shops..😀

As, I should think, are most people. Totally bizarre to be in and out of shops every day to me. No love for them at all. Use them as effectively as possible for the shortest time possible then stay away for the longest time possible. Along with this approach come multibuy offers without having to think about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Wooley, surely you recognise that not everyone, or indeed a majority of shoppers will take such care as you do?

I can't take much of the credit. It's Mrs W's domain really, but it really isn't a matter of "taking care". It's blindingly obvious and takes no additional time at all. Someone going into the confounded place every day is spending more time there than us. I reckon most people have their heads screwed on tightly enough not to pay over the odds by ignoring offers.

14 hours ago, John Wright said:

Anyway, I’m going out to dinner with a Tesco exec this evening. I’ll raise the complaints for him to take back to HQ.

Vic Road opening in 2 weeks. Biggest problem has been unexpected need to replace transformers for all the electrical equipment.

St Pauls Square and Port Erin will completed before TT. The rest will stay as Shoprite until after TT. Changeover by end August.

Pricing not his field, but he’s taking back the gist of what’s been said on here to the area manager.

No white goods. Generally consumer electrics being phased out across UK.

Grocery collect by car will be coming asap. Whoosh probably, later.

Express will have more own brand lines and club card offers (UK wide to compete with ALDI/Lidl)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thanks John.  What is meant by 'white goods' is that just large appliances, or does it include small electricals like kettles? 

I understand it to mean fridges, washers, dryers, freezers, etc. you’ll recall Tesco applied for, and were refused, PP to construct a mezzanine at Lake Road to have increased floor space to allow them to sell clothing and white goods.

Not sure what the position with smaller consumer electrics will be. 

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I understand it to mean fridges, washers, dryers, freezers, etc. you’ll recall Tesco applied for PP to construct a mezzanine at Lake Road to sell clothing and white goods.

Not sure what the position with smaller consumer electrics. 

Thanks John. 

9 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think they will lose the larger items and they seem to be actively promoting small home electricals. Hopefully this link will work

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/shop/home-and-ents/electrical/home-appliances

Thanks emesde, tried searching to see what white goods they stock, unsuccessfully.  Not overly bothered either way, but it would be good to have another alternative for small appliances and household goods.

16 hours ago, IOM said:

Sorry yes I should have written club card and club card plus I understand that . Don’t get me wrong if I am wrong about something I will own up to it - notice I said yesterday I was wrong in my estimate of the number of special offers .  Anyway whilst I admit I have not looked at all 11000 lines here are some more 

Soreen banana loaf 260g 160v170

Tesco Fruit sliced loaf 135v 140

Herta frankfuters 140g 170v 180

Peach slices in juice 410g 110v 115

Silver spoon caster sugar 1kg 225v235

Silverspoon Royal icing sugar 500g 170v 180

Pepsi max 24x 330ml 1050v 1105

why don't you phone up Aldi , get a pallet full of dry/tinned goods that you usually buy on a weekly basis shipped over and come back and tell us how much you saved compared to what it would have cost you at castletown tescos prices ? ?

• Like 2