Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, Declan said:

wow

Widely used in catering, but in huge quantity. Domestically for home baking and a byproduct of USA food faddism, where yolks are excluded by ladies who lunch because of their alleged high cholesterol content. Omelette made only with egg white is an abomination, but exists across the Atlantic.

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Widely used in catering, but in huge quantity. Domestically for home baking and a byproduct off USA food faddism, where yolks are excluded by ladies who lunch because of their alleged high cholesterol content. Omelette made only with egg white is an abomination, but exists across the Atlantic.

That's a savoury meringue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

48 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Widely used in catering, but in huge quantity. Domestically for home baking and a byproduct of USA food faddism, where yolks are excluded by ladies who lunch because of their alleged high cholesterol content. Omelette made only with egg white is an abomination, but exists across the Atlantic.

Also by those who want to increase protein intake with zero fat like body builders. Friend of mine used to throw away the egg yolks but now uses this .. it's supposed to reduce  food waste..

I've eaten an omelette made with this and it  didn't taste that great ..  I suppose you can add a yolk or two for flavour by mixing  with real eggs ..

19 hours ago, IOM said:

The very idea of having to keep track of this and plan my shopping absolutely fills me with dread ! Each to their own I accept it is helpful to some people . However I can’t help thinking back to the most successful retailers at the moment Lidl , Aldi and M and S none of them have a sea of multi buys , special offers , loyal card deals etc they just focus on one price -  interesting that isn’t it ? 

If you're so keen to buy from Aldi why don't you open an account and get on line delivery. I had one a few years back and they delivered wine to me on the isle of man. I don't know if they deliver food lines ,but sign up and see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, emesde said:

none of them have a sea of multi buys , special offers , loyal card deals

I’ve certainly seen four packs on sale at M&S, Aldi, Lidl, at less than 4x the price of one. They just don’t trumpet it.

As for the loyalty thing, well, all the major food retailers have been at it, for decades, from Co-op divi, stamps, membership loyalty card, through green shield and pink stamps, coupon clipping, etc.  None of them will stop unless the others do. People love to think they’re getting a bargain, even if they aren’t. And it’s world wide. Ive loyalty cards with Caprabo, Carrefour and Esclat in Spain. I only use the Esclat one. Over a year I can build up credit enough to cover one shop.

It’s really not hard to select from the offers, or ignore them. I know I’m unusual, I shop almost exclusively on line for home delivery. But I’m no more unusual than someone disorganised who shops daily.

When I log onto the Tesco app, I can shop the whole range, my last shop, my usuals, or I can select to shop offers. But I do check prices. And it’s easier on line than in the shop. 

I am looking forward to the collect by car when it arrives over here.

Anything to avoid going in store.

4 hours ago, emesde said:

If you're so keen to buy from Aldi why don't you open an account and get on line delivery. I had one a few years back and they delivered wine to me on the isle of man. I don't know if they deliver food lines ,but sign up and see.

Aldi stopped mail order last year ☹️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IOM said:

To be fair this will be a good addition to the island and help provide some much needed choice . 

Tesco have always done bits and bats of small electrical appliances at Lake Road. Kettles, toasters and the like.

11 hours ago, IOM said:

To be fair this will be a good addition to the island and help provide some much needed choice . 

What can they offer that JACstores can’t?

One of the best, most underrated and underused businesses on the island.

Order from their website and your item will be with you the next day, if not the same day.

We also have MTV, Colebournes, Ken Quines, Felton’s and some other proper local businesses that sort you out for any of the items Tesco might offer.  Even the Co-Op do them if you are desperate, or M&S.

We are stuck with Tesco coming in and people going there by default, but don’t forget the local businesses.  Like I said, if you haven’t tried JACstores website yet you should have a look.  Prices and service are superb.  PLEASE don’t just everyone default to Tesco for a new kettle.

https://shop.jacstores.co.uk/

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

What can they offer that JACstores can’t?

One of the best, most underrated and underused businesses on the island.

Order from their website and your item will be with you the next day, if not the same day.

We also have MTV, Colebournes, Ken Quines, Felton’s and some other proper local businesses that sort you out for any of the items Tesco might offer.  Even the Co-Op do them if you are desperate, or M&S.

We are stuck with Tesco coming in and people going there by default, but don’t forget the local businesses.  Like I said, if you haven’t tried JACstores website yet you should have a look.  Prices and service are superb.  PLEASE don’t just everyone default to Tesco for a new kettle.

https://shop.jacstores.co.uk/

Agreed I use a lot of the stores you list they are very good . But a wider choice of non food General merchandise would help the island the stores you mention can only offer a limited choice .