Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, emesde said:

Make up your mind ........I thought you wanted them levelled down 😊

The whole Tesco situation is simply wrong they should never have been allowed to hold such a high market share. I can’t think of many geographies where one retailer has such a dominant position. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

The whole Tesco situation is simply wrong they should never have been allowed to hold such a high market share. I can’t think of many geographies where one retailer has such a dominant position. 

Shoprite did though?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, IOM said:

There is nothing to stop other competitors. They choose not to. They are not stopped. There is no anti competition. 

Its not ideal though and we can only hope that tesco do not seek to exploit the situation

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Not really, Shoprite had a major competitor on Lake Road - probably by far the busiest supermarket on the island.

Tesco don't.

And whose fault is that? Oh yes, our Manx to the Max government who do not have the necessary competition legislation in place to prevent the takeover.

It remains to be seen whether it will be good for the island or not, but the constant griping isn't going to change what has happened.   If you don't like Tesco, shop elsewhere, like the Co-op who may be encouraged to broaden their offering if the turnover can be seen. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, IOM said:

You should try playing Manx Monopoly.

image.png.ed14a62a8ad6d441ed560834f54d3d4e.png

It's got Manx Telecom, Manx Gas, Manx Utilities and a few others on there too.

Someone's nicked all the community cards though, and there are 15 'Go to jail for trivia' spaces. All the houses are the same price, but there are no hotels.

And all players need £10k to start, which doesn't actually come with the game here.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

And whose fault is that? Oh yes, our Manx to the Max government who do not have the necessary competition legislation in place to prevent the takeover.

It remains to be seen whether it will be good for the island or not, but the constant griping isn't going to change what has happened.   If you don't like Tesco, shop elsewhere, like the Co-op who may be encouraged to broaden their offering if the turnover can be seen. 

Constant griping? 

Well, I thought I was offering a new aspect that Tesco could consider! The Island is tiny in Tesco's world wide operation? Could they not look at us as a special case? A small community with a sense of ' we're in this togetherness ' and lighten up on margins that would normally drive them???

There's nothing to say that a 'mergers and monopolies' would have stopped this sale, it was more of a transfer than a takeover?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Well, I thought I was offering a new aspect that Tesco could consider! The Island is tiny in Tesco's world wide operation? Could they not look at us as a special case? A small community with a sense of ' we're in this togetherness ' and lighten up on margins that would normally drive them???

There's nothing to say that a 'mergers and monopolies' would have stopped this sale, it was more of a transfer than a takeover?

Absolutely no chance of that Tesco is a well drilled business that tries to make customers think they are looking after them offering supposed great prices and quality but sadly it’s not really doing that . 

• Like 1

Be fair, Tesco offer a Nationwide service to try to compete in their market but they are not truly competing here on the IOM? They could vary their business model, we're such a small market that it would not make much difference to them just to keep the whol;e Island happy???

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Be fair, Tesco offer a Nationwide service to try to compete in their market but they are not truly competing here on the IOM? They could vary their business model, we're such a small market that it would not make much difference to them just to keep the whol;e Island happy???

You're confusing charlatans for charitable!

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well you know it’s not that bad. 

From my experience Tesco sell a wide range of products at a relatively competitive price.

Whats all the whinging about?

So explain why the prices in Lake Road are now higher ( relative to across ) than prior to the acquisition.