Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

IOM, you're failing to recognise the Tesco have a business model which they follow in the UK, my argument is that we are such a small part of that model that they could vary it to keep the whole Island happy with Tesco!

If enough of us make a fuss, they may well do?

Edited by Kopek
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

So explain why the prices in Lake Road are now higher ( relative to across ) than prior to the acquisition. 

No one has to explain. Every business is having price increases due to the all the reasons we all know. If people think that Tesco don't give good value  they will choose to shop elsewhere. Shopping isn't just about price. Market forces may or may not cause a company to change pricing policies,but those decisions are made by them and whinging and whining at every decision they make is just ridiculous. They are still in the process of investing in rather run down stores in a move that will cost vast sums. No other retailer seemed interested in the opportunity to come here. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

IOM, you're failing to recognise the Tesco have a business model which they follow in the UK, my argument is that we are such a small part of that model that they could vary it to keep the whole Island happy with Tesco!

If enough of us make a fuss, they may well do?

Do you seriously believe they're here to keep us happy?

A delivery 🤣 you have more chance of winning the lottery and ONCHAN is hardly a remote village….how very dare you !!!!!! 🤣  I was happy with Onchan Shoprite at least I knew people down the road weren’t getting the same product cheaper because they lived in the CITY of Douglas and sold by the same Company.

• Haha 1

Just now, emesde said:

No one has to explain. Every business is having price increases due to the all the reasons we all know. 

What a lot of nonsense. Of course there is inflation in the wider economy that’s expected and prices will likely rise to follow suit . But what has happened here is the Tesco Lake Road prices have risen independently of any inflation just in recent weeks . Yes stores get refurbished new ones are built I could show you any number of these across . The difference is those businesses are investing in their store estate for their customers and don’t charge higher prices when those investments happen . Indeed Tesco do exactly they across build new stores , refit old ones and don’t increase prices in that area once complete . And I don’t really get this whole issue about people making comments on here or so called whinging and whining as some like suggest the last time I looked this is a forum for sharing views and opinions . 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

A delivery 🤣 you have more chance of winning the lottery and ONCHAN is hardly a remote village….how very dare you !!!!!! 🤣  I was happy with Onchan Shoprite at least I knew people down the road weren’t getting the same product cheaper because they lived in the CITY of Douglas and sold by the same Company.

Is the victoria Rd Tesco further from onchan than central Douglas? Can't be much in it can there. It hardly the incredible journey is it? 

5 minutes ago, finlo said:

Do you seriously believe they're here to keep us happy?

Well if everyone had that attitude, all of them would take us for a ride, Steam Pak, airlines etc etc would think, we've got them by the short n curlies, we'll screw them!!!

Is that what you want???

Speak out.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kopek said:

Well if everyone had that attitude, all of them would take us for a ride, Steam Pak, airlines etc etc would think, we've got them by the short n curlies, we'll screw them!!!

Is that what you want???

Speak out.

Well, that's pretty much what we've got!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are missing the point.    A product I buy is a different price in three places I shop in Shoprite,M&S and the Coop only coppers but different I don’t object to that but I think the Company, Tesco, should charge the same amount for a product when the stores are close together so no real excuse for the differential it is just cheap and low.  Anyway I am bored now….goodnight.

4 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is that what you want???

Speak out.

I agree with the speak out bit . If you have a view or opinion you should be allowed to share it openly that’s what these forums should be about . 

3 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Is that what you want???

Speak out.

But speak out to the right audience.  Make your concerns known to Tesco not on here, which is like going into the shed and screaming.  By all means tell us what you have done, but don't expect anything to change just because you have whined about stuff here.   

• Like 1

Just now, Gladys said:

But speak out to the right audience.  Make your concerns known to Tesco not on here, which is like going into the shed and screaming.  By all means tell us what you have done, but don't expect anything to change just because you have whined about stuff here.   

Am not sure I agree with this . If you take some of my earlier posts on this subject I clearly articulated where the price differences existed and what was happening. To some posters this was something they were not aware of . By not providing an outlet to let people say what they think or explain what they are seeing could be preventing people from understanding some facts . Of course once people have those facts and information it’s up to them to make up their own minds . 

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

Am not sure I agree with this . If you take some of my earlier posts on this subject I clearly articulated where the price differences existed and what was happening. To some posters this was something they were not aware of . By not providing an outlet to let people say what they think or explain what they are seeing could be preventing people from understanding some facts . Of course once people have those facts and information it’s up to them to make up their own minds . 

So, what do you want to achieve? Change or just another voice in an echo chamber? 

Just now, Gladys said:

So, what do you want to achieve? Change or just another voice in an echo chamber? 

But it’s not an echo chamber is it ? People read these forums they can either agree , disagree or change their mind based on what they have seen  . They may discuss what they have read with friends or families and that may be of help .
It could be interpreted that you are very happy with Tesco ( it’s fair enough if you are that’s your right of opinion) but by saying to people they should not be commenting on here might suggest that your opinion is the only valid one in town and that’s the end of it . I don’t really get the negativity to comment I mean if you don’t like it don’t read it or move on that’s everyone’s right . 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

But it’s not an echo chamber is it ? People read these forums they can either agree , disagree or change their mind based on what they have seen  . They may discuss what they have read with friends or families and that may be of help .
It could be interpreted that you are very happy with Tesco ( it’s fair enough if you are that’s your right of opinion) but by saying to people they should not be commenting on here might suggest that your opinion is the only valid one in town and that’s the end of it . I don’t really get the negativity to comment I mean if you don’t like it don’t read it or move on that’s everyone’s right . 

Comment away, but be prepared when someone takes a different view. 

I don't think I have said people should stop commenting, but have said these comments would be better addressed to Tesco.