Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Sorry to go on with this but the “ thanks” emoji is a picture of a cup ( sporting trophy kind of thing)

I use this emoji if I agree strongly with a particular post or if it is one that supports a point I have made ( thus “ thanks”).

Am I using it right? Because it does seem to be multi purpose one. 

Could mean:-

Thats a great post.  ( worthy of a cup)

Thanks for pointing that out to me. I’d not thought of that.

Thanks for agreeing with me

Thanks for your put down of the post/poster with which/whom I don’t agree 

Or something entirely different 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Sorry to go on with this but the “ thanks” emoji is a picture of a cup ( sporting trophy kind of thing)

I use this emoji if I agree strongly with a particular post or if it is one that supports a point I have made ( thus “ thanks”).

I feel exactly the same. I’ve no real idea of what It’s for. 

35 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

31 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I feel exactly the same. I’ve no real idea of what It’s for. 

I use it when someone has posted something that is helpful. it's like a you are a champion/Thanks emotion.

I never use the laugh sarcastically even when sometimes I am very tempted.

I wish the forum was more friendly all round. There is much bitterness which is a shame.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Blue heart = good

Purple cup = very good or thank you

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Invision, who provide the software - and determine the meaning of the emojis say. MF have no control over this

IMG_5062.jpeg

I have an optimistic view of the Shoprite takeover. I think Shoprite are a mostly subpar supermarket. The quality of the fresh produce is poor in particular the fruit and vegetables. Only this last weekend i purchased a cauliflower for yesterdays tea and it had started to go mouldy less than 36 hours after i bought it. 

The constant media news is starting to grate on me a little with all the wailing.  Lets not forget that shoprite approached waitrose and sainsburys with each refusing to buy the 9 additional stores. This is also (allegedly) the 3rd time they approached Tesco before they agreed .  Tesco have not come along and forced Shoprite out of business. They SOLD their businesses. All the Tesco moaning and wingeing is uncalled for.

Whilst i understand the reasons why farmers are worried about their livlihood ( and their concerns are not unwarranted) i think we should be giving Tesco the opportunity to come to an agreement with the farming community . They already sell manx milk and meat items - i see no reason as to why they wouldnt include vegetables unless the produce is poor. Same for the manx alcohol, sweets, and chocolates. Manx residents will contine to buy them because i beleive that most people will want to continue supporting local business. However, should talks fail there are other alternative solutions - such as Robinsons expanding, or finding a suitable location that could be used as a farmers market on a weekly basis. 

i am really hoping that Tesco will start to stock home ware, clothes at least as there are very limited choices for both here on the island. I also really hope that this opens the door for other retailers to consider opening a store as Shoprite are notorious for blocking anyone from opening a store that would have an impact or an exisiting stores ( prime example is the co op in Port Erin wanting to move into the currently empty old iceland store and shoprite blocking them). The old wilko is another example of shoprite making life hard to they didnt renew their contract. This is also another building that is just sat empty. 

Edited by PeachTea
  • Like 3

think one fear is that Tesco will turn the smaller stores into Express stores which are more expensive , another expectation is that they will have a Tesco on their doorstep will not happen as the smaller stores have not the space to carry all the varied stock you can get at Lake Road, Victoria Road being the exception.   Also being a tight community people know of the 60 families who will be affected by redundancy so no celebration there.   A monopoly situation is never a good prospect.    However the deed has been done and I think the Coop and Marks and Spencer’s will do very well out of it so every cloud etc.

2 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

think one fear is that Tesco will turn the smaller stores into Express stores which are more expensive , another expectation is that they will have a Tesco on their doorstep will not happen as the smaller stores have not the space to carry all the varied stock you can get at Lake Road, Victoria Road being the exception.   Also being a tight community people know of the 60 families who will be affected by redundancy so no celebration there.   A monopoly situation is never a good prospect.    However the deed has been done and I think the Coop and Marks and Spencer’s will do very well out of it so every cloud etc.

the potential redundancies are definately not good. I will keep my fingers crossed that Tesco do their best to find the people concerned a role. 

Edited by PeachTea
  • Haha 1

They are not potentials unfortunately they have already happened to some employees, management level already .  I don’t know how many but I know of one person who has worked there for years and was told last week.    I suspect some of these families will be leaving the Island as there is not much going in the same line of work over here, ironic really when the Government is trying to encourage people to come and work here.     There are vacancies around but mostly hospitality or in the care industry, it is very sad.

6 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Would the Express stores be any more expensive than Shoprite?  The Express stores were always a couple of pence dearer than the big stores.  There may be a bigger variance now,  but there is quite a differential between Shoprite prices and Tesco, so even if dearer,  any Express stores may still be a better bet than Shoprite. 

The smaller Shoprite stores do not carry the full stock that the Victoria Road store carries (went into the Castletown Shoprite the other week and there was no fresh meat other than chicken, bacon etc), so how would Tesco?

No-one would celebrate anyone losing their job, whether they know them or not.