Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

49 minutes ago, WTF said:

a lot of discrimination  is actually that the old buildings are just not suitable to convert to allow wheelchair access , all new builds should be suitable by design these days.

Or that owners don’t make small adjustments, that cost next to nothing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

a lot of discrimination  is actually that the old buildings are just not suitable to convert to allow wheelchair access , all new builds should be suitable by design these days.

Fully agree.

If buildings are been refurbished it should be part of the approval process to include 

Not every public building being required to provide '\changing Places', what is required of our Govt is that reasonable number of sites are provided around the Island and publicised to those who may need them?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I see the little shoprite signage in Port Erin has come down to reveal the old Iceland signage.

Is that due to become a Tesco too?

I would presume Tesco purchased shoprite brand so won’t want it on other buildings or used elsewhere 

14 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I would presume Tesco purchased shoprite brand so won’t want it on other buildings or used elsewhere 

incorrect, I guess it's just Shoprite tidying up the remainder of their estate, or maybe they have new tenants for that building.

6 minutes ago, User Name said:

incorrect, I guess it's just Shoprite tidying up the remainder of their estate, or maybe they have new tenants for that building.

So they haven’t purchased the brand?

strange to them potentially be allowed to use it again on island in competition 

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I see the little shoprite signage in Port Erin has come down to reveal the old Iceland signage.

Is that due to become a Tesco too?

5 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

No

57 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

42 minutes ago, User Name said:

35 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

So they haven’t purchased the brand?

strange to them potentially be allowed to use it again on island in competition 

I’m sure there will be an anti competition clause in the business sale agreement. Tesco clearly bought the right to use the Shoprite name, they’re doing so at 6 stores at the moment. 

I can’t imagine the Nicholsons have the appetite to re enter the grocery market.

2 suggestions. 

Their lease on the “little Shoprite” branch in Port Erin has come to an end and they’re tidying up ready to hand back to the landlord under the obligations in the lease?.

They did say they’d continue with the subway franchise, maybe they’re prepping for that?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woolley said:

If I was starting a supermarket business in the Isle of Man, even from scratch, the very last name I would use would be Shoprite.

Agreed but in other areas Shoprite is a major name.In South Africa I believe  it is one of the largest retailers. In USA it is quite a large group among some Eastern states. Obviously a well respected name. (no connection with IOM Shoprite but a well respected name worldwide)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emesde said:

Agreed but in other areas Shoprite is a major name.In South Africa I believe  it is one of the largest retailers. In USA it is quite a large group among some Eastern states. Obviously a well respected name. (no connection with IOM Shoprite but a well respected name worldwide)

I know. Shoprite even used to bring some of their branded stuff to the Island.

''....he subway franchise, maybe they’re prepping for that? ....''

or a spar/post office???

I always thought the shop was owned by Shoprite, left empty so as not to compete with the PE shoprite?

The Tesco agreement would be sure to prevent food sales???

26 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I always thought the shop was owned by Shoprite, left empty so as not to compete with the PE shoprite?

It was Maypole, Liptons, Presto, Safeway, a diy shop, then Shoprite, not necessarily in that order. Wasn’t it once The Gutless Gourmet?

I thought  that whole block of 1950’s/60’s low rise shop units was developed and owned by McArds

• Like 2

I think McArds built most of it but the Chinese T/A is not theirs now I believe? So Shoprite could have bought their shop?

There was Hanna Bananas on the hill to the beach and a short lived restaurant at the top of the hill, name??? I don't remember the Gutless Gourmet tho' I can think of some customers who would fit the description!!!

Was it the Model Shop at one point? The other shops seem to change frequently, tho' not the Iceland since closing? Of course, Shoprite could have kept paying rent to avoid the competition!

PE shops seem to be a 'daily needs', not a destination?