Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

11 minutes ago, Kopek said:

There was Hanna Bananas on the hill to the beach and a short lived restaurant at the top of the hill, name??? I don't remember the Gutless Gourmet tho' I can think of some customers who would fit the description!!!

What has happened to Jack White?

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

I think McArds built most of it but the Chinese T/A is not theirs now I believe? So Shoprite could have bought their shop?

There was Hanna Bananas on the hill to the beach and a short lived restaurant at the top of the hill, name??? I don't remember the Gutless Gourmet tho' I can think of some customers who would fit the description!!!

Was it the Model Shop at one point? The other shops seem to change frequently, tho' not the Iceland since closing? Of course, Shoprite could have kept paying rent to avoid the competition!

PE shops seem to be a 'daily needs', not a destination?

It became Guiltless gourmet under Shoprite's ownership it was the Toolbox before that repairing sewing machines etc run by the chap who had the model shop in the Strand so there may have been a crossover into models in PE?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, finlo said:

It became Guiltless gourmet under Shoprite's ownership it was the Toolbox before that repairing sewing machines etc run by the chap who had the model shop in the Strand so there may have been a crossover into models in PE?

Most of the shops in Port Erin are owned by Lloyds and Whittaker, the only ones owned by Keith McArd were Trend and where his offices were,

• Like 1

That about explains it! Was Gutless a restaurant or a Deli? Did Shoprite own or rent their shop?

There were thoughts that the Co op would like the shop, bigger than their Station rd, would have brought more footfall to Church rd. Good all round for PE???

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Kopek said:

That about explains it! Was Gutless a restaurant or a Deli? Did Shoprite own or rent their shop?

There were thoughts that the Co op would like the shop, bigger than their Station rd, would have brought more footfall to Church rd. Good all round for PE???

It was a stab at being a higher end supermarket with in-store tastings etc and Shoprite own the building (well its ultimate owner does).

• Like 2

17 hours ago, John Wright said:

It was Maypole, Liptons, Presto, Safeway, a diy shop, then Shoprite, not necessarily in that order. Wasn’t it once The Gutless Gourmet?

I thought  that whole block of 1950’s/60’s low rise shop units was developed and owned by McArds

Google Streetview (April 2010) actually shows it as the Guiltless Gourmet, so nearly right.  The building is a different construction from the others in the row, so may have been as a supermarket, but I think McArds only kept the corner plot for themselves.  MId-late 60s construction I think.

I'm fairly certain the Nicholsons owned it from fairly early on, presumably buying it from the last non-Shoprite supermarket.  That's why the only time it was let out, it was to a DIY shop, which wouldn't compete directly.  Presumably the Coop would love to have it.  How limited by contract the use of the bits of their portfolio that aren't now Tesco is, would be interesting to find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Kopek said:

I think McArds built most of it but the Chinese T/A is not theirs now I believe? So Shoprite could have bought their shop?

Was it the Model Shop at one point? The other shops seem to change frequently, tho' not the Iceland since closing? Of course, Shoprite could have kept paying rent to avoid the competition!

PE shops seem to be a 'daily needs', not a destination?

Restaurant on the corner at the top of the hill was called Trader Jacks, I think.

The Tool Box moved from the corner where the shoe shop is now, to where Liptons was. At the time, it was a father and son outfit. The son started selling radio controlled models and accessories from there. Tool Box then moved to Orchard Walk where the restaurant/ grill is now. The son later opened a model shop in Orchard Walk. He later moved it to Strand in Douglas. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

The Castletown store now has a security guard. 

As does both Douglas stores, as well as staff wearing bodycams.  It may be a general company requirement, possibly driven by insurance conditions, rather than something arising specifically in the locations. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gladys said:

As does both Douglas stores, as well as staff wearing bodycams.  It may be a general company requirement, possibly driven by insurance conditions, rather than something arising specifically in the locations. 

Possibly a knock on effect from the increase in organised shoplifters in the UK

• Like 3

The high prices make anyone carrying cash a target for robbery!!!

Thanks to all above for the info on PE shops, I don't remember the Gourmet shop or the Model shop being in Orchard walk, often wondered how the Strand centre shop could have paid! Maybe it didn't?

Are the father and son still operating somewhere?

Knew the LLoyds were involved not sure about Fistard but logical to be on their doorstep!