Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, kevster said:

Actual new jobs, or just rebranding ex-shoprite employees?

If you think about it there must have been a lot more than 100 Shoprite employees to start with so it has to be extra.  But the rebranded stores are open for longer hours (I reckon Castletown is up 18 hours a week) which will require more staff and if they are going to employ security guards as well[1], that's more people needed.

It doesn't say these are full-time (or even FTE) jobs so 100 extra staff seems very possible.  Of course there will also be job losses to balance these at Shoprite HQ (buyer and so on) but many of these will already have happened and there won't be much in the way of transfer.  Which makes 100 extra jobs possible, but also means that they will have difficulty filling them.

[1]  It's possible they are hoping to have a system (which I have seen in Expresses in the UK) where there are only security staff on duty (or at least visible) and customers have to self-check-out.  Given that at the moment the new tech isn't even working well when the staff operate it, never mind the public, this may be some time off.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Because on my shopping, when I check, it isn’t there. I don’t understand why you don’t seem to grasp that fact, at direct variance/contradiction of what you say.

Because it is relevant. Directly relevant. For me it’s the only thing that’s relevant. Same, I suspect, for other shoppers. For me the price differences are demonstrably insignificant in my practical experience.

Well you are lucky with your shopping list that’s all I will say there are enough examples to prove the point . I get its relevant to you but I am trying to make the broader population aware of the issue not specifically your shopping list believe it or not not everyone buys what you do !!!! As @Gladys points out we will see where it all shakes out when the whole thing is complete ! 

Since IOM  has been regularly posting on this subject. to save us all  because we are unable to make buying decisions by ourselves , I have found I have taken to drinking much more regularly.

I checked prices around the area and found I was able to save £8.50 on a nice bottle of single malt.

So I really don't care if my cheese has gone up 2p a packet.its still cheaper than it was in ShopRite .

I think the hundreds of other shoppers in store seemed happy even though they were buying their choice of products of their own accord .

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, emesde said:

Since IOM  has been regularly posting on this subject. to save us all  because we are unable to make buying decisions by ourselves , I have found I have taken to drinking much more regularly.

I checked prices around the area and found I was able to save £8.50 on a nice bottle of single malt.

So I really don't care if my cheese has gone up 2p a packet.its still cheaper than it was in ShopRite .

I think the hundreds of other shoppers in store seemed happy even though they were buying their choice of products of their own accord .

What a load of utter nonsense! Since when did I say people were unable to make decisions by themselves? What I have sought to do is help people understand they can then make whatever decision they like I really don’t care . And since when was it ever 2p on a pack of cheese ? Your posts literally make no sense at all ….. 

• Confused 1

27 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well you are lucky with your shopping list that’s all I will say there are enough examples to prove the point . I get its relevant to you but I am trying to make the broader population aware of the issue not specifically your shopping list believe it or not not everyone buys what you do !!!! As @Gladys points out we will see where it all shakes out when the whole thing is complete ! 

1. Of course I don’t expect that everyone buys the same. I’ve never said they did. But they buy regular items. Your random items weren’t all what I’d call regular. And given they stock 15,000-18,000 items some lines will sell thousands a week, some only ten. If the price differential is on the line that sells ten it doesn’t make a 5% price increase overall.

2. I think it’s been me consistently pointing out we can’t judge until the conversion is completed. Glad you’ve finally grasped the point.

3. I don’t get why you don’t understand that it’s actually shopping baskets that count, not random items.

Not you, so don’t take even more offence, but a few pages back there was debate about Battenberg cake. It’s years since I’ve bought one of those because commercial Battenberg is dry and tasteless in my opinion. Of course, the price difference is vitally important if you’re Battenberg addicted.

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

What a load of utter nonsense! Since when did I say people were unable to make decisions by themselves? What I have sought to do is help people understand they can then make whatever decision they like I really don’t care . And since when was it ever 2p on a pack of cheese ? Your posts literally make no sense at all ….. 

you’re starting to come over very brined hind leg of pork obsessed, and totally lacking a sense of humour.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

What's "non-commercial Battenberg"?   Artisanal?   Home-made?

Have you never made your own victoria sponge, apricot jam and marzipan? But then there’s @Gladys’s view 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Mr Helmut Fromage said:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/douglas-man-accused-of-fraud-appears-in-court/

Maybe (subject to court proceedings and JW shouting sub judice hence the maybe) the expansion of Tesco has had an adverse effect on head of the Co-Op & Mr Claire Christian MHK - slightly awkward if proven.

Already linked to. Keep up at the back. But not wise to speculate on things like causation now it’s live in court.