Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Just now, A fool and his money..... said:

Or another way, £2.49 billion is an obscene amount of profit.

The time has come to start taxing them appropriately on the IOM (actually it's long overdue).

Aren't they taxed here? 

I think Costco really only works if you buy in bulk and travel frequently to Liverpool I don’t know what their delivery charge is.    A friend has been a member for a while but frequently travels away and picks stuff up in her van on the way home so it works for her.   It would be interesting to find out more about it if anyone went to the Palace today.

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

The time has come to start taxing them appropriately on the IOM (actually it's long overdue).

It's not, considering the scale of capital employed. It's peanuts. There are nearly 10 billion shares in issue. Some of the profit will be reinvested and the latest dividend yield is 3.67%. You can get far higher returns in a deposit account. They also pay their taxes onshore, unlike Amazon and their ilk.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Yes they are, but like most rich companies or individuals, not based on what it costs to provide public services.

Not Tesco's fault that our government wastes taxpayers' money on excessive pointless bureaucracy and grandiose schemes, but their tax rate could stand a little more jacking up to something approaching what they pay in the UK. Better still, make the likes of Amazon pay fair taxes in every country they trade in. American tech firms get a ridiculous free ride at the expense of indigenous business.

8 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

No it isn't, it's £4.30 for every £100 customers spend. Most shareholders are pension funds. 

• Like 1

It should also be remembered that Tesco employ over 330.000 people in the UK and are the largest private company employer in Europe. Thus putting vast amounts of spending power back into local economies. Unlike so many on line companies that not only pay little, if any tax outside of their registered jurisdictions and employ very few people outside of their head offices.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, finlo said:

As Costco are here at the moment let's hope they fancy getting a foot in the door.

There was a Costco thread on this forum last time they did this in 2009. Meeting was at the Palace ,although it was the Hilton back then.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, finlo said:

As Costco are here at the moment let's hope they fancy getting a foot in the door.

Hardly, they are trying to entice customers to use their UK stores, most likely Liverpool.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emesde said:

There was a Costco thread on this forum last time they did this in 2009. Meeting was at the Palace ,although it was the Hilton back then.

What a fascinating insight am do glad we now know there was a thread on Costco back in 2009! You accuse me of writing drivel at least my ‘drivel ‘ as you put it is relevant to today not 15 years ago ! 

1 hour ago, IOM said:

What a fascinating insight am do glad we now know there was a thread on Costco back in 2009! You accuse me of writing drivel at least my ‘drivel ‘ as you put it is relevant to today not 15 years ago ! 

I'm sorry that my 3 lines of information caused you confusion.However not surprised 🙄

It was written to remind anyone interested that Costco are here again.

I though that someone intelligent ,experienced,and with a knowledge of the fmcg market might find it useful.

But hey ho it caused you to react instead.