Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

10 hours ago, x-in-man said:

Majority of the checkouts are the Self Service crap.

Perfect! Wish Shoprite had invested in that years ago. Self-Service / scan & go is great and saves me loads of time waiting for the geriatrics who can't find their card to get through the manned tills.

I've only been in the new store once, I felt disappointed also. Felt like there was 'less' stuff than I was expecting it to have. With the big hole down the middle of the aisles felt a bit odd when the aisles aren't that big to start with.

• Sad 1

33 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

With the big hole down the middle of the aisles felt a bit odd when the aisles aren't that big to start with.

One of the points that people praised about the old Shoprite compared with Lake Road Tesco was that the aisles were wider.   Maybe Tesco listened.

• Like 1

Have to say the side aisles don't 'flow' as each half is offset against the other.  But, I suppose, the central aisle running parallel to the tills is where you would branch from rather than the top or bottom aisles.  

I have not been unable to get what I would normally get from Lake Road, but have only done one big shop at Vic Road.  The household section is disappointing.  

There is quite a lot of dead space at the entrance, perhaps they will be filling it with bigger seasonal items.

As for seating, I haven't noticed any behind the tills but there is the cafe which (should be) accessible by the lift.  

2 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

Victoria Road seems to have everything Lake Road does which is good. It's just difficult to find which I guess will get easier with familiarity.

Haven't been back to lake road since Victoria Road opened, is it any quieter?

Don't bother. It's still really busy. Keep away. Don't add to the problem 

• Haha 4

5 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Have to say the side aisles don't 'flow' as each half is offset against the other.  But, I suppose, the central aisle running parallel to the tills is where you would branch from rather than the top or bottom aisles.  

I have not been unable to get what I would normally get from Lake Road, but have only done one big shop at Vic Road.  The household section is disappointing.  

There is quite a lot of dead space at the entrance, perhaps they will be filling it with bigger seasonal items.

As for seating, I haven't noticed any behind the tills but there is the cafe which (should be) accessible by the lift.  

I think if you are elderly you probably don’t want the shop go up to the cafe on the proviso there might be a seat .  A lot of older people like to walk around the store with someone , selecting their items but then don’t want to stand at the checkout. That’s why seating should be provided . 

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Perfect! Wish Shoprite had invested in that years ago. Self-Service / scan & go is great and saves me loads of time waiting for the geriatrics who can't find their card to get through the manned tills.

I probably count as a "geriatric", but I make a point of trying to have my card/s in my hand to ensure that I can make a quick getaway.

What I find really pathetic is the youngsters who have to pay with their mobile phone, after spending about 10 minutes looking for "smart" vouchers. It's those people who cause queue blockages.

At least if you use the self service, it's only yourself you are holding up, but give me a human at a till every time (and give someone a job).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, woolley said:

I thought this was going to be the flagship Tesco on the Island 

I think it was used by the media to make it sound more exciting. I agree with you that there seems to be more choice at Lake Road.

9 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think it was used by the media to make it sound more exciting. I agree with you that there seems to be more choice at Lake Road.

'Flagship' is Tesco's term for it not the media's, I did say people were going to be disappointed much to the cries of 'wait and see' from the fanboys.

20 minutes ago, monasqueen said:

What I find really pathetic is the youngsters who have to pay with their mobile phone, after spending about 10 minutes looking for "smart" vouchers. It's those people who cause queue blockages.

i feel your pain ,  i had the joy, and to be fair i found it rather amusing as i took the piss out of them , watching a couple of youngsters in  front of me scroll up and down their phones for 5 minutes looking for vouchers they didn't find , followed by wanting to pay part cash part card which the even younger lad on the till didn't know how to do,  but i would recognise them again and would queue behind someone else.

55 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think if you are elderly you probably don’t want the shop go up to the cafe on the proviso there might be a seat .  A lot of older people like to walk around the store with someone , selecting their items but then don’t want to stand at the checkout. That’s why seating should be provided . 

I understand that and have said before that you should raise it with the Store Manager.