Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, Fred the shred said:

Marks and Spencer’s don’t have seating by the tills neither do the Coops.  You will be wanting beds for a quick lie down next, possibly after you pay the bill.

Marks and Spencer’s do have seating very near the tills there are several by the rear door and quite a few people use them ( and there is the clue if people use them there is likely to be a need )  !The Coops are by nature a convenience store so you are unlikely to be on your feet for very long . 

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Perfect! Wish Shoprite had invested in that years ago. Self-Service / scan & go is great and saves me loads of time waiting for the geriatrics who can't find their card to get through the manned tills.

Wait till the 'geriatrics' start trying to use the self-service and see how long the queues get then.

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

I think the big plus of the self checkout is that it's far easier to shoplift. Even if they catch you they just let you pay for the item and go on your way.

That's the problem the supermarkets have set up for themselves.  Even if they detect fraud, it's difficult to prove and even worse if they successfully prosecute because other shoppers will stop using them for fear of ending up in Court from an honest mistake.

As this CNN article from six months ago says, US supermarkets are starting to reverse the switch to self-checkout and losses to shoplifting are effectively double what they are in stores that have them.

46 minutes ago, IOM said:

Marks and Spencer’s do have seating very near the tills there are several by the rear door and quite a few people use them ( and there is the clue if people use them there is likely to be a need )  !The Coops are by nature a convenience store so you are unlikely to be on your feet for very long . 

From observation they tend to get used most, both in M&S and eg Shoprite Port Erin, by older customers who are waiting for the person who was helping them shop go and get the car to collect them - and possibly at the start where they were dropped off as well.  So there is certainly a need.  At Lake Road I suspect people end up having to be left in the parked car.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

From observation they tend to get used most, both in M&S and eg Shoprite Port Erin, by older customers who are waiting for the person who was helping them shop go and get the car to collect them - and possibly at the start where they were dropped off as well.  So there is certainly a need.  At Lake Road I suspect people end up having to be left in the parked car.

There are seats in Lake Road. 

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Wait till the 'geriatrics' start trying to use the self-service and see how long the queues get then.

They won't. As they "don't like technology" and would rather count out £50 worth of shopping in £1 coins and 10ps that use a card / phone to pay.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

BREAKING NEWS     A garden bench has now been placed behind the tills in Victoria Road.    Victory for the people .    IOM will be delighted 😂

so they are now selling garden furniture too , what price are they ?

This one was obviously one that had been pre loved 🤣    It was jumping up there this affy really busy.   Three staff assisting an old person on the self serve doings , I know they were old as they went to school with me.   I had whizzed through the proper pay desk with a charming assistant serving whilst they were still messing about.  

I can't see the older shoppers getting the hang of the self-service checkouts. I'm determined to familiarise myself but I've not had much luck so far. Most elderly customers have got no chance and I can see Tesco having to rethink the checkout systems. Too many things can go wrong and staff are constantly having to assist customers.   

Just now, Shake me up Judy said:

I can't see the older shoppers getting the hang of the self-service checkouts. I'm determined to familiarise myself but I've not had much luck so far. Most elderly customers have got no chance and I can see Tesco having to rethink the checkout systems. Too many things can go wrong and staff are constantly having to assist customers.   

This is a serious question.  What is difficult about it?

Scan an item, put it in the bag, show the same scanner your phone with the payment/club card qr code.

Walk out with your shopping.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Tesco can't possibly have got it wrong as they know everything about everything and never make mistakes.

• Haha 1