Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Shopping for misanthropes 

Bollocks.

We were in there today and had a good chat with some of the staff.

It’s just that come time to leave we walked straight past the queue of people waiting to pay to a self checkout till and were done in a couple of minutes.

A nice chat with the lady by the door on the way out, home and fed.

• Like 1

I can operate them but they do seem to fail too frequently.

I also prefer to have a cashier checking out my purchases.

I am not happy about a large organisation manipulating their sytems to save money using my free, forced services.

That's all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

This is a serious question.  What is difficult about it?

Scan an item, put it in the bag, show the same scanner your phone with the payment/club card qr code.

Walk out with your shopping.

I’ve never seen one anywhere that is wheelchair accessible. The positioning of the screen and the card reader is difficult when you are seated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

I’ve never seen one anywhere that is wheelchair accessible. The positioning of the screen and the card reader is difficult when you are seated.

That might be so, but is hardly what was being asked.

I have to admit to being lucky enough to not need to consider such things.

32 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

I can't see the older shoppers getting the hang of the self-service checkouts. I'm determined to familiarise myself but I've not had much luck so far. Most elderly customers have got no chance and I can see Tesco having to rethink the checkout systems. Too many things can go wrong and staff are constantly having to assist customers.   

They accept that staff have to help some shoppers. They don't mind them. Every single person that can master it though is saving them having a member of staff doing it. So even if they had to assist every single customer they wouldn't really be any worse off. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Anthony Ingham said:

That might be so, but is hardly what was being asked.

I have to admit to being lucky enough to not need to consider such things.

It’s not a question of whether you’re lucky enough, or not, it’s a question of the retailer having a legal obligation. At least one in every store should have a lowered screen and payment reader. Same with car park pay machines.

You asked, without qualification, what was difficult with self check out. I gave an example. There are others, older people who need assistance bagging up, is another example.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, doc.fixit said:

I can operate them but they do seem to fail too frequently.

I also prefer to have a cashier checking out my purchases.

I am not happy about a large organisation manipulating their sytems to save money using my free, forced services.

That's all.

It's an extremely competitive marketplace. Costs feed through to prices that you pay.

9 hours ago, woolley said:

It doesn't. According to the staff, they carry only 40% of the grocery lines that are stocked in the Lake Road store. This was borne out by our experience in searching for stuff that wasn't there. On this basis, it would appear that all those around the Island who thought they were going to enjoy the Tesco Superstore experience closer to hand are going to be disappointed.

9 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Thats quite difficult to believe. 

It's what we were told by 2 separate members of staff in the store. I cannot verify it, but it does chime with our experience of things we always get at Lake Road being nowhere in sight. Obviously if it's true, then the 40% of items stocked are going to be mainly the most popular 40%, so any specific basket would only have a few things missing.

2 minutes ago, woolley said:

It's what we were told by 2 separate members of staff in the store. I cannot verify it, but it does chime with our experience of things we always get at Lake Road being nowhere in sight. Obviously if it's true, then the 40% of items stocked are going to be mainly the most popular 40%, so any specific basket would only have a few things missing.

It is not hard to fact check.  Why anyone would dispute it is beyond me.

11 minutes ago, woolley said:

Gladys kidding herself to think that Tesco have a clue what they're doing? Your contributions to this thread become more ridiculous as time goes on.

Well I have to deal with these knob heads daily so I think my opinion counts slightly more than yours!

8 minutes ago, woolley said:

I'm not sure I agree. Shoppers are a diverse lot.  Sure there are very popular items. 40%! That's a massive amount.  Surely someone would have noticed and not just needed the staff to tell them. Not saying it's wrong, just doesn't feel right. 

@Anthony Ingham says its easy to fact check. Maybe he will be along with the 'fact' soon. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

I'm not sure I agree. Shoppers are a diverse lot.  Sure there are very popular items. 40%! That's a massive amount.  Surely someone would have noticed and not just needed the staff to tell them. Not saying it's wrong, just doesn't feel right. 

@Anthony Ingham says its easy to fact check. Maybe he will be along with the 'fact' soon. 

Two random Items that I never buy banged into the Tesco app that were both available at Lake Road.

Only one available at Little Switzerland.