Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

You are speaking for yourself, which is fine and understandable. However I prefer the scan and shop. We are all different in our preferences. It does have something to do with customer convenience, if Tesco had it and Asda didn't I would favour Tesco, that gives them more custom and saves them money.

Mutual benefit. Me/ Tesco. 

At my ASDA we have ~30 scan & pay requiring just two members of staff and they take up far less room than a serviced till. Getting checkout staff isn't easy, we have many pensioners on zero-hour contracts which they love. Work ~20 hours a week, discount on what you buy, earn roughly as much as the state pension.

2 hours ago, emesde said:

Yes .just Google it and there are many reports from research companies both here and abroad.

Surely it's down to the supermarkets to balance the savings they make against the increase in cost of paying for theft. They must know exactly how much they are losing (via stocktake). They clearly are not or they would not be expanding the service. Google does show research but nothing conclusive. 

I was In Haringey last month in a Tesco express. A youth walked in and took a load of ready meals (piled up in his arms). He walked through the self service check out area and passed the counter, security guard and out. I informed the security guard and he just said they were advised not to challenge. It's shite like this that is increasing shoplifting and not scan and shop. 

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A youth walked in and took a load of ready meals (piled up in his arms). He walked through the self service check out area and passed the counter, security guard and out. I informed the security guard and he just said they were advised not to challenge. It's shite like this that is increasing shoplifting and not scan and shop. 

You didn’t fancy making a Citizen’s Arrest, HD?

Every retail grocery group is reporting that the amount of shoplifting has increased with self scan. They all say the same things and all are trying to find ways to redress the balance e.g. this headline.

Co-op lost £70m to shoplifting in 2023 as it uses AI to stop self-checkout theft.

6 minutes ago, emesde said:

Every retail grocery group is reporting that the amount of shoplifting has increased with self scan. They all say the same things and all are trying to find ways to redress the balance e.g. this headline.

Co-op lost £70m to shoplifting in 2023 as it uses AI to stop self-checkout theft.

It doesn't help that the Co-op's procedure is to let shoplifters walk out unchallenged for fear of harm to the staff if they try to stop it.

12 minutes ago, majkul said:

It doesn't help that the Co-op's procedure is to let shoplifters walk out unchallenged for fear of harm to the staff if they try to stop it.

Greggs too. Their staff are told not to challenge shoplifters anymore after someone was assaulted. They don't even ring the police or use the CCTV evidence. Only in the case of cash robbery. 

Those who don’t like self check out are unfortunately not going to like the next few years.

RFID and other tech will remove checkouts completely (despite some teething issues with initial roll outs) and AI will replace staff at drive through  etc, which is already happening in America.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Greggs too. Their staff are told not to challenge shoplifters anymore after someone was assaulted

This gave rise to a new crime on the statute books - assault with a dense pasty.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

This gave rise to a new crime on the statute books - assault with a dense pasty.

Did some family research some time ago and was delighted to find that an ancestor had been charged with assaulting someone with a piece of beef.  She was acquitted, but what an awesome charge!

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

I think it’s been mentioned already but it would be good to see get go here.

No scanning, no checkout, no hassle.

https://www.tesco.com/zones/getgo

This looks similar to what Amazon shops were trying out in London.

Amazon recently announced that they are now abandoning this method of paying ,at least for the time being.    https://www.theverge.com/2024/4/2/24119199/amazon-just-walk-out-cashierless-checkout-ending-dash-carts

Edited by emesde
Link added