Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

This has been discussed before.  There is no anti-competition law that could have been used to assess whether or not the transaction should proceed.

I do not know if there was such legislation, whether it would have prevented the transaction.  I do not know, for sure, whether the transaction would have been refused if it took place in the UK.

Even if there was the legislation and the transaction was deemed to fall within it and refused, what would happen next?

Empty Shoprite stores across the island?  Several independents taking on some of the stores? Aldi or Lidl stepping in? 

The fact is it has happened.  No doubt Tesco are monitoring performance of all stores and will probably make adjustments to maximise the performance of each.

As we keep on saying, it all has to settle so we know exactly what we have.

Edited by Gladys

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

This has been discussed before.  There is no anti-competition law that could have been used to assess whether or not the transaction should proceed.

I do not know if there was such legislation, whether it would have prevented the transaction.  I do not know, for sure, whether the transaction would have been refused if it took place in the UK.

Even if there was the legislation and the transaction was deemed to fall within it and refused, what would happen next?

Empty Shoprite stores across the island?  Several independents taking on some of the stores? Aldi or Lidl stepping in? 

The fact is it has happened.  No doubt Tesco are monitoring performance of all stores and will probably make adjustments to maximise the performance of each.

As we keep on saying, it all has to settle so we know exactly what we have.

I have discussed it all before a better outcome would have been a more balanced landscape rather than such a dominant player . We are where we are and as you say time will tell . But unless someone wants to close the thread because it’s all been said (which is almost what you want to do ) I will keep expressing my opinion. 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

I have discussed it all before a better outcome would have been a more balanced landscape rather than such a dominant player . We are where we are and as you say time will tell . But unless someone wants to close the thread because it’s all been said (which is almost what you want to do ) I will keep expressing my opinion. 

I do not want to close the thread, and I want to see discussion and new issues raised and debated. 

You can keep on expressing your opinion, as I will keep expressing mine, but do not accuse me of wanting to close matters (or you) down just because I don't agree with all you say.  Discussion is a two-way street. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I do not want to close the thread, and I want to see discussion and new issues raised and debated. 

You can keep on expressing your opinion, as I will keep expressing mine, but do not accuse me of wanting to close matters (or you) down just because I don't agree with all you say.  Discussion is a two-way street. 

Ok but the opening line “ this has all been discussed before “ implies you don’t want it aired . A bit like when I was posting on pricing matters a few weeks ago and you said I was posting to an echo chamber again it implies closing down . That’s how I see it anyway 

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

Ok but the opening line “ this has all been discussed before “ implies you don’t want it aired . A bit like when I was posting on pricing matters a few weeks ago and you said I was posting to an echo chamber again it implies closing down . That’s how I see it anyway 

Well, you see it wrong. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Yeah but you're wringing it out when it's well past its sell-by date, and you're impervious to the logic offered of other posters.

How far are you going to go with it? The tesco situation is what it is, done and dusted...

Edited by quilp
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, IOM said:

Also Shoprite used to advertise on selected products “Tesco price match “

so after everything you've said previously what this line says to me is that shoprite REDUCED some of its prices to be in line with Tesco pricing !!??    who was ripping us off again ??

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, quilp said:

Yeah but you're wringing it out when it's well past its sell-by date, and you're impervious to the logic offered of other posters.

How far are you going to go with it? The tesco situation is what it is, done and dusted...

I am not actually impervious to the logic offered by other people they are entitled to their views just as much as I am entitled to mine I have never deviated from that . And who defines whose logic is correct? I also think there is a lot more on this topic that will develop you only have to look at the number of people posting to see that so for me at least it’s not past its sell by date . 

10 minutes ago, IOM said:

I am not actually impervious to the logic offered by other people they are entitled to their views just as much as I am entitled to mine I have never deviated from that . And who defines whose logic is correct? I also think there is a lot more on this topic that will develop you only have to look at the number of people posting to see that so for me at least it’s not past its sell by date . 

I’ve always said we need to wait until all the conversion is completed, and then some. The store and IoM area manager have a degree of latitude over what to stock and it’ll need time to settle down for each store. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WTF said:

so after everything you've said previously what this line says to me is that shoprite REDUCED some of its prices to be in line with Tesco pricing !!??    who was ripping us off again ??

Shoprite were not to use your words “ ripping us off “ if they were then they would have had excessive profits and high net margin  and that certainly wasn’t the case in fact I think they were losing money . What they were doing was finding a way with a completely different business model of trying to compete with the then Tesco Lake Road store which I would admit at that time was a very competitive offer . 

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’ve always said we need to wait until all the conversion is completed, and then some. The store and IoM area manager have a degree of latitude over what to stock and it’ll need time to settle down for each store. 

I think that’s fair enough I agree it’s a significant change that’s taking place.  It’s for that reason that I don’t think this topic or matters relating to it are past its sell by date . 

18 minutes ago, IOM said:

Shoprite were not to use your words “ ripping us off “ if they were then they would have had excessive profits and high net margin  and that certainly wasn’t the case in fact I think they were losing money . What they were doing was finding a way with a completely different business model of trying to compete with the then Tesco Lake Road store which I would admit at that time was a very competitive offer . 

my point was that you say tesco are charging us more on island but shoprite had to reduce prices to match them, i dont recall you mentioning any issues with shoprite prices 

1 minute ago, WTF said:

my point was that you say tesco are charging us more on island but shoprite had to reduce prices to match them, i dont recall you mentioning any issues with shoprite prices 

Tesco are charging us more on island since the acquisition. I was referring to Shoprite prior to the acquisition that’s the difference.