Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I think that’s fair enough I agree it’s a significant change that’s taking place.  It’s for that reason that I don’t think this topic or matters relating to it are past its sell by date . 

Stuff in Shoprite often was

It's always best to have competition between retail giants. We, the public, haven't any control over what they do?

With price comparison sites available to the general public and probably more sophisticated, paid for, sites available to the retail sector, then it's not hard to see that a retailer could undercut a competitor by a few pence on selected items but still offer a price HIGHER than their normal pricing structure!!!

It's retailing, we'll never win!

4 hours ago, IOM said:

Shoprite were not to use your words “ ripping us off “ if they were then they would have had excessive profits and high net margin  and that certainly wasn’t the case in fact I think they were losing money . What they were doing was finding a way with a completely different business model of trying to compete with the then Tesco Lake Road store which I would admit at that time was a very competitive offer . 

3 hours ago, IOM said:

Tesco are charging us more on island since the acquisition. I was referring to Shoprite prior to the acquisition that’s the difference. 

You really are like a dog with a bone on this. They always charged us a little more than in the UK, and now, I agree, they are charging us a bit more besides.

Previously we paid consistently approx 2% more for the past 5 years here than when we bought the same items in the UK, and we do this regularly. Now it's consistently about 3%, so a penny in the pound more now than before the acquisition. That may worsen of course. It's too soon to say. Yes, this includes price matches and Clubcard offers - but that's what shoppers do as a matter of course without going out of their way to buy things they otherwise wouldn't. The offers are on standard popular fmcg items. So Tesco being a competitive offer "at the time" has not changed that much. One whole percent.

Shoprite were not ripping us off on the basis of extracting massive profits. Not in recent years, anyway. They were very expensive though, simply because they didn't have the critical mass to be as efficient as the likes of Tesco. Their Tesco price matches may well have matched a few branded lines, but what they didn't tell you was that there were several just as good, but much cheaper, options on offer at Tesco.

14 minutes ago, woolley said:

You really are like a dog with a bone on this. They always charged us a little more than in the UK, and now, I agree, they are charging us a bit more besides.

Previously we paid consistently approx 2% more for the past 5 years here than when we bought the same items in the UK, and we do this regularly. Now it's consistently about 3%, so a penny in the pound more now than before the acquisition. That may worsen of course. It's too soon to say. Yes, this includes price matches and Clubcard offers - but that's what shoppers do as a matter of course without going out of their way to buy things they otherwise wouldn't. The offers are on standard popular fmcg items. So Tesco being a competitive offer "at the time" has not changed that much. One whole percent.

Shoprite were not ripping us off on the basis of extracting massive profits. Not in recent years, anyway. They were very expensive though, simply because they didn't have the critical mass to be as efficient as the likes of Tesco. Their Tesco price matches may well have matched a few branded lines, but what they didn't tell you was that there were several just as good, but much cheaper, options on offer at Tesco.

Your assessment of it is that it’s 1% but it’s very difficult to be sure that’s what it is . Also I know you talk a lot about there being Club card prices /offers but have you ever wondered why there are so many ? Is it because Tesco are being super generous or maybe their non offer price is too high ? I suspect if you looked into it prices rose heavily due to rising commodity and energy prices ( recent inflation) but interestingly never fell back when they dropped back again ……

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IOM said:

Your assessment of it is that it’s 1% but it’s very difficult to be sure that’s what it is . Also I know you talk a lot about there being Club card prices /offers but have you ever wondered why there are so many ? Is it because Tesco are being super generous or maybe their non offer price is too high ? I suspect if you looked into it prices rose heavily due to rising commodity and energy prices ( recent inflation) but interestingly never fell back when they dropped back again ……

They don’t fall back after an inflationary period, just don't rise so much. Otherwise, it is deflation.  

7 minutes ago, Gladys said:

They don’t fall back after an inflationary period, just don't rise so much. Otherwise, it is deflation.  

Of course they do if the input costs go down there is nothing to stop the retail price going down. 

• Confused 1

Just now, Gladys said:

And wages go down too? 

No but labour is only one component of a products cost . If you look at energy costs and commodity costs they have fallen substantially . How else do you think Tesco can afford to have so many club card / offer deals ? 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

No but labour is only one component of a products cost . If you look at energy costs and commodity costs they have fallen substantially . How else do you think Tesco can afford to have so many club card / offer deals ? 

Labour is a very large component of the price for many things.  Hence the sweatshops of the Far East. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Labour is a very large component of the price for many things.  Hence the sweatshops of the Far East. 

The labour component is different for every single product some have a high proportion of labour in them whereas others it’s not the biggest component . If you take a bottle of lemonade do you think the vast amount of the product is cost driven by labour , the liquid in the bottle or the logistics and packaging? 

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

The labour component is different for every single product some have a high proportion of labour in them whereas others it’s not the biggest component . If you take a bottle of lemonade do you think the vast amount of the product is cost driven by labour , the liquid in the bottle or the logistics and packaging? 

You're wasting your breath they can do no wrong.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, finlo said:

You're wasting your breath they can do no wrong.

Of course, Shoprite would have dropped prices.

My comments above are about prices in general, not just retail and not specifically Tesco.

Just now, Gladys said:

Of course, Shoprite would have dropped prices.

My comments above are about prices in general, not just retail and not specifically Tesco.

I never said Shoprite would have dropped prices . What I am trying to show is that it’s a more complex picture than people think . But I am sure there are so many offers because the non offer price is higher than it needs to be . So the cost of your food is artificially high unless you always buy the offer and at times the product you like might not be on offer that’s all I am saying ….

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

I never said Shoprite would have dropped prices . What I am trying to show is that it’s a more complex picture than people think . But I am sure there are so many offers because the non offer price is higher than it needs to be . So the cost of your food is artificially high unless you always buy the offer and at times the product you like might not be on offer that’s all I am saying ….

No, you were complaining that prices haven't come down.  On your lemonade question, at what point from the originating of the raw materials to you leaving the store with your bottle do you think labour is not involved?