Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

that set back courtyard can be seen in the 1867 O/S 1:500 plan13_08_22.jpg.eb9baac12f961129d2f956e12816ed4c.jpg

the entrance to Guttery Gable (originally the side wall of Paul Kelly's herring house hence the name) can be seen

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Frances said:

that set back courtyard can be seen in the 1867 O/S 1:500 plan13_08_22.jpg.eb9baac12f961129d2f956e12816ed4c.jpg

the entrance to Guttery Gable (originally the side wall of Paul Kelly's herring house hence the name) can be seen

Thanks for that, always thought the name came from overhanging gutters, not fish guts. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gladys said:

Thanks for that, always thought the name came from overhanging gutters, not fish guts. 

Just for balance, the Guttery was more likely the reference to the Gutteries,---abattoirs in the area, It links from Cattle Market st to Howard slip. There were at least 3 tannerys in the close area, the last being Fayles yard on Well rd hill.  

Mostly Herring processing was done close by the harbours, as in Peel, in Douglas the Herring houses were on South Quay, It seems daft to ship the fish from the harbour, by horse cart,  all the way to Market St for processing.

In later years the Cattle market was behind the Saddle pub, butchers would buy and employ drovers to drive the beasts to Market st for slaughter, the hides to the tannerys. Ths Drovers would retire to the Victoria Tavern in Drumgold st, tying their droving dogs outside, hence "Dogs Home" this is but one tale told with bellys to the bar. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, mollag said:

Just for balance, the Guttery was more likely the reference to the Gutteries,---abattoirs in the area, It links from Cattle Market st to Howard slip. There were at least 3 tannerys in the close area, the last being Fayles yard on Well rd hill.  

Mostly Herring processing was done close by the harbours, as in Peel, in Douglas the Herring houses were on South Quay, It seems daft to ship the fish from the harbour, by horse cart,  all the way to Market St for processing.

In later years the Cattle market was behind the Saddle pub, butchers would buy and employ drovers to drive the beasts to Market st for slaughter, the hides to the tannerys. Ths Drovers would retire to the Victoria Tavern in Drumgold st, tying their droving dogs outside, hence "Dogs Home" this is but one tale told with bellys to the bar. 

Every day's a school day.

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, mollag said:

Fabulous history, thank you.  Often wondered where the name for the Dogs Home came from - had assumed the dogs was really a reference to the reprobates who frequented it! 

Edited by Gladys
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Fabulous history, thank you.  Often wondered where the name for the Dogs Home came from - had assumed the dogs was really a reference to the reprobates who frequented it! 

At the junction of Drumgold/Nelson/Market st was another linked Pub, The Shepherd Inn, roughly where the Premier Inn is now, as it's a flock of sheep, surely Sheepflockers would be a better description 🤫

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Just to bring it back to Tesco, their 'finest' loose leaf earl grey tea is shite.

Apols for the distract, I am ok with Tesco, dont miss Shoprite, but as withEarl Grey, Tesco English breakfast teabags went down the swanee a while back, the foil packs were removed and the bags left a orrible residue in the cup---Bad Tesco 😒

Just now, mollag said:

Apols for the distract 😒

Oh I liked the distraction. I was pretty sure there was a Robinson's where WHSmith is, but I'd have been small so could have been wrong. I don't think it would have been there by the time I was old enough to go into town on my own.

• Like 1