Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

I saw it on a House of Commons select committee at which Tesco and other supermarkets were asked to provide evidence about food and the food chain . One of the topics was shrinkflation . If their Director talks about it as in the now which is exactly what he did i assumed that’s what it was after all it was to an official committee . And let’s put it like this did you know it had happened at all ? And if you didn’t don’t you think it’s relevant to know what’s happening to your food ? You can have a pop at me all you like I don’t mind but all I am doing is literally relaying what was said to the committee last week . 

Shrinkflation has been going on forever.  I'm sure the chocolate bars of my youth are about half the size now.  Have you seen a modern wagon wheel?  It's a skateboard wheel.

The cost of living crisis has accelerated it recently though.  But no one wants smaller sausages. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, WTF said:

to be fair,  sausages with high meat content tend to be dry and horrible, a sausage needs a good fat content to baste the meat that is in it

The definition of meat in a sausage includes the fat and gristle. It’s the rusk or crumbs that have been increased.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Gladys said:

When you say 'now' it implies it is recent and a logical presumption is then that recent inflationary pressures have resulted in the reduction.  

But the reduction happened in 2019, so not a new change and one that seems to have been accepted by customers for 5 years, or thereabouts. 

What is the context of the submission last Tuesday? 

No it happened between 2019 and 2023, not in 2019.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, IOM said:

I saw it on a House of Commons select committee at which Tesco and other supermarkets were asked to provide evidence about food and the food chain . One of the topics was shrinkflation . If their Director talks about it as in the now which is exactly what he did i assumed that’s what it was after all it was to an official committee . And let’s put it like this did you know it had happened at all ? And if you didn’t don’t you think it’s relevant to know what’s happening to your food ? You can have a pop at me all you like I don’t mind but all I am doing is literally relaying what was said to the committee last week . 

Of course the director referred to it 'in the now' because that is the meat content currently applied. 

Of course it is relevant know what is happening to my food, the information is there on the packet.  Is this really a revelation?

Out of interest, I have just checked the pork content of Andrea's Meat Co Manx Dragon sausages.  The ingredient list states that the pork content is at least 66%, but I buy them because I like them. 

I am not having a pop at you at all, just disagreeing that a statement without context is something of concern to me as a consumer. 

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No it happened between 2019 and 2023, not in 2019.

The quote from the Telegraph indicates that M&S reduced the percentage over that period, but Tesco reduced their meat content in 2019.

IOM  why are you putting Confused emojis  against everything .All I did was cut and paste part of an article from an edition of the Telegraph .How can you possibly find the wording of that confusing. ? There weren't even any long words in it.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Shrinkflation has been going on forever.  I'm sure the chocolate bars of my youth are about half the size now.  Have you seen a modern wagon wheel?  It's a skateboard wheel.

The cost of living crisis has accelerated it recently though.  But no one wants smaller sausages. 

You are absolutely correct, Wagon Wheels were huge.  I remember Mars bars being significantly bigger as a child (nothing to do with the size of my hand) and the when decimilisation happened, the price changed from 4d to 4p! It was crippling when you sixpence (2 1/2p) pocket money!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Of course the director referred to it 'in the now' because that is the meat content currently applied. 

Of course it is relevant know what is happening to my food, the information is there on the packet.  Is this really a revelation?

Out of interest, I have just checked the pork content of Andrea's Meat Co Manx Dragon sausages.  The ingredient list states that the pork content is at least 66%, but I buy them because I like them. 

I am not having a pop at you at all, just disagreeing that a statement without context is something of concern to me as a consumer. 

If a Director sits before a HoC and refers up an example of reducing meat content on two products it’s fair to assume he is talking about a recent change . He actually said the meat content was reduced from 97% to 90% and that’s why he referenced the meat content. Of course we all buy things we like I get that but my point remains that Tesco and M and S as now shown reduced their meat content and did not reduce their price . @emesdecan go on about the timeline as much as they like ( that’s why I put the confused emoji the timing is irrelevant in the context ) I doubt they knew before this exchange. 

Just now, IOM said:

If a Director sits before a HoC and refers up an example of reducing meat content on two products it’s fair to assume he is talking about a recent change . He actually said the meat content was reduced from 97% to 90% and that’s why he referenced the meat content. Of course we all buy things we like I get that but my point remains that Tesco and M and S as now shown reduced their meat content and did not reduce their price . @emesdecan go on about the timeline as much as they like ( that’s why I put the confused emoji the timing is irrelevant in the context ) I doubt they knew before this exchange. 

But it is on the packet, and you wouldn't buy them again if you didn't like them 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gladys said:

But it is on the packet, and you wouldn't buy them again if you didn't like them 

I doubt it said on the packet that it was a new lower meat content when it was changed though did it ! 

59 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Don’t forget the “head meat”, steamed off the carcass.

Oddly enough that can't be used in "pork sausages" nor can offal.  But it can be used in "sausages" according to the article I linked to.  Pork sausages appear to be different from sausages made from pork (and other stuff).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Of course not.  It will have been "NEW IMPROVED RECIPE".

Indeed, but at least they didn't emblazon them with something about being slightly more acceptable to vegetarians. 

Edited by Gladys