Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

11 hours ago, Kopek said:

...or why you were paying as much in the past for a product that could be ' improved '?

Retailers eh! What are they like?

Indeed it’s bad practice. And for a Tesco executive to say customers wanted a reduction in meat content demonstrates what they are really thinking . It also begs the question if the sausage really is better with 90% meat than 97% why was the original recipe set at 97% in the first place ! It does not stack up .

21 minutes ago, display name said:

You should seek medical help

If understanding what I am eating and what I am paying for what I am eating requires medical help then yes I require it .
Personally I think anyone who does not think about what they are putting in their mouth and for how much is more in need of medical help ! 

19 minutes ago, IOM said:

If understanding what I am eating and what I am paying for what I am eating requires medical help then yes I

Just to help you  ,here are the ingredients . I don't think they would have been very different in a 97,%version

INGREDIENTS: Pork (90%), Water, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Calcium Lactate), White Pepper, Sage, Stabilisers (Tetrasodium Diphosphate, Disodium Diphosphate), Coriander, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Nutmeg, Dextrose, Bamboo Fibre, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Colour (Paprika Extract).

Hope that helps 😜 

• Thanks 1

We are talking about 24.5 grams on a 350 gram packet.  It really is not going to keep me awake. 

What is in them is on every packet, your choice if the change has made the product inedible for you. 

18 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I'm all for a butchers sausage. But give me some Richmonds on a hangover and I'm gravy.

Ingredients
Pork (42%), Water, Rusk (Wheat), Pork Fat, Starch (Wheat), Soya Protein, Salt, Stabilisers: Diphosphates, Guar Gum*, Flavourings, Preservative: Sodium Metabisulphite**, Antioxidants: Ascorbic Acid, Alpha Tocopherol, Colour: Carmine, Casing: Beef Collagen, *A Vegetable-based ingredient that helps keep our Sausages succulent, **This just keeps them fresh for longer!

(I've left Tesco's rather panicky-sounding comments in).  It's not so much that you'd be better off with some bread and lard, it's that it's more or less the same thing.

I think the 42% is the absolute minimum of pork there can be and it still be called a pork sausage.  Note that the pork fat isn't included.  Irrespective of what UK law was in 1967, the country has been through numerous Sausage Wars, both real (most recently in 2021) and imaginary (Yes Minister!) since.  Currently the only fat etc that counts to the percentage is that attached to the meat - though with the right butchery that's a lot.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Gladys said:

We are talking about 24.5 grams on a 350 gram packet.  It really is not going to keep me awake. 

What is in them is on every packet, your choice if the change has made the product inedible for you. 

Of course it’s all listed and it’s everyone’s choice what to do that is at least the benefit of prepackaged products with clear labelling . The central point is that you are getting less for your money . I should have also added in my note to @display namethat the consumer group Which did a big study into exactly this sort of thing and much more maybe I should write to them and all their readers who found it enlightening and suggest they all need medical help too !!!!

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's not so much that you'd be better off with some bread and lard, it's that it's more or less the same thing.

Well put. And if the bread is decent bread, I suspect the bread and lard option would be the significantly healthier option.

1 hour ago, IOM said:

The central point is that you are getting less for your money

Indeed: but what would you suggest?  A boycott of the sausages until they give us a higher meat content?   Boycotting Tesco?   Writing to your MHK?

Drawing it to people's attention is one thing - but what do you think is going to happen next?

36 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

Indeed: but what would you suggest?  A boycott of the sausages until they give us a higher meat content?   Boycotting Tesco?   Writing to your MHK?

Drawing it to people's attention is one thing - but what do you think is going to happen next?

Of course I don’t advocate any of that I am not sure if I ever did ! All I am doing is sharing my opinion and view it might help some people think about things and if it doesn’t then that’s fine too each to their own . I think some posters misunderstood me at times I recognise that the newly refurbished Tesco stores are a good thing for example the stores are modern and up to date with the latest environmental considerations . What I don’t necessarily agree with is some of Tescos commercial behaviour ( and it’s this that I have largely called out ) and it remains to be seen how that will be in the future on the island . What I do find extraordinary is how so many posters just don’t seem interested in the price of their food what’s happening with it or simply dismiss it as irrelevant but I recognise that’s their choice too . What I try not to do is send unnecessary comments like “ you need medical help “ when I don’t like or don’t agree with someone . 

7 minutes ago, IOM said:

All I am doing is sharing my opinion and view

I'm no longer sure what your opinion and view is!   You are providing commentary on the meat content and price of the sausages - that's information, certainly - but not your opinion.   What is your opinion?   For example, have you stopped buying those sausages yourself?

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

What I try not to do is send unnecessary comments like “ you need medical help “ when I don’t like or don’t agree with someone

Same here.  I don't believe that I have, in any of our exchanges.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

For context, that's about the weight of an AA battery, spread over 12 sausages. 

(Tried to find the comparative weight in elephants or blue whales, but that didn't help.) 

• Haha 1