Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

5 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I'm no longer sure what your opinion and view is!   You are providing commentary on the meat content and price of the sausages - that's information, certainly - but not your opinion.   What is your opinion?   For example, have you stopped buying those sausages yourself?

Same here.  I don't believe that I have, in any of our exchanges.

Apologies I was not specifically referencing you with regard to unnecessary comments I was making a general point . 

My overall view has been well stated throughout the thread that I don’t believe letting Tesco acquire all the Shoprite stores was the right thing for the island it has ended up with a disparate market share . And I think Tesco commercial behaviour is not always what it seems and whilst I agree it’s not all about sausages it’s an example of the sort of thing that goes on . The reason I have provided the information about sausages is its specific evidence to support my opinion . 

Just now, IOM said:

Apologies I was not specifically referencing you with regard to unnecessary comments I was making a general point . 

My overall view has been well stated throughout the thread that I don’t believe letting Tesco acquire all the Shoprite stores was the right thing for the island it has ended up with a disparate market share . And I think Tesco commercial behaviour is not always what it seems and whilst I agree it’s not all about sausages it’s an example of the sort of thing that goes on . The reason I have provided the information about sausages is its specific evidence to support my opinion . 

But it goes on with all supermarkets. Even if there were other supermarkets here, they will be selling similarly manipulated items to preserve their profit.  Even good old M&S have reduced the meat content of sausages to the same percentage. 

What I would be much more concerned about is how Tesco treat local suppliers as they have a reputation for being quite ruthless.  There will be standards required and providing they are justified as being a level playing field in the industry, then fine.  If they basically screw the margin until the pips squeak, then that is something I would be vocal about. That is where I would be focusing any campaign. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, IOM said:

You should be out in the street with your tesco flag celebrating the miracle of capitalism 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

For context, that's about the weight of an AA battery, spread over 12 sausages. 

(Tried to find the comparative weight in elephants or blue whales, but that didn't help.) 

who found a battery in their sausages ?

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

So that's what happens to all those batteries that we put in re-cycling!!!

It puts the 'sizzle' in our sausages!!!

It's OK you meat eaters moaning about your sausage content, God knows how much sawdust, ink and Bostic is in the plant food ones!!!

Edited by Kopek

Further research shows that with my favourite Manx Dragon sausages at 66% pork (and the same pack weight as my Tesco chipolata comparison), there is a further 3.5 worth of AA batteries of pork missing.  

(Feel free to check my sums, as it is a light hearted comment.) 

Posted (edited)

Judging by how busy M&S the Coop and Robinson's have become it would seem a lot of people haven't slavishly just swapped Shoprite for Tesco so there is some intelligence left amongst the general public.

Edited by finlo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, finlo said:

Judging by how busy M&S the Coop and Robinson's have become it would seem a lot of people haven't slavishly just swapped Shoprite for Tesco so there is some intelligence left amongst the general public.

I hadn't noticed..

On 5/9/2024 at 3:37 PM, Jarndyce said:

Don’t forget the “head meat”, steamed off the carcass.

The tastiest pies I have had were made with beef cheeks they were proper tasty meat pies with a lovely gelatinous gravy. Pigs cheeks cooked low and slow with sherry is another delicious dish. 

• Thanks 1