Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

3 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

The tastiest pies I have had were made with beef cheeks they were proper tasty meat pies with a lovely gelatinous gravy. Pigs cheeks cooked low and slow with sherry is another delicious dish. 

Cheek is a really tasty cut of meat, but so hard to get hold of.  When Tesco had the butcher's counter, they sold it, but not now. 

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

For context, that's about the weight of an AA battery, spread over 12 sausages. 

A 12th of an AA battery is difficult to imagine in a single sausage.

So I would use a more recognisable comparison scale.

The average smallish fart is around 30mg so that's around 60 small farts per sausage.

...or around 4 super-dooper farts (those bordering on follow-through) per single sausage.

22 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Has anyone noticed the Co-op seem to have some crazy pricing at the moment? 

Way over and above what you would pay at M&S or Tesco.

Yes I think you're right. Now that Tesco are available in more areas I think several co-ops are losing volume and so making extra margin on what they do sell to compensate. Certainly their smaller stores are very much convenience and priced accordingly.

11 hours ago, Gladys said:

Cheek is a really tasty cut of meat, but so hard to get hold of.  When Tesco had the butcher's counter, they sold it, but not now. 

Try shin of beef.   Quite nice in a stew..  Easier to get shin than the cheek

22 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Try shin of beef.   Quite nice in a stew..  Easier to get shin than the cheek

Thanks and, yes, shin is good.  Just surprised that these less common cuts of meat are not pushed more 

I think cheek got a lot of PR from a celeb chef years ago.  Just need the same now. 

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Thanks and, yes, shin is good.  Just surprised that these less common cuts of meat are not pushed more 

I think cheek got a lot of PR from a celeb chef years ago.  Just need the same now. 

Such things are seen as being for the impoverished so they'll likely make a comeback!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

As a kid we regularly had liver,heart  or tripe for dinner and an ox tail made great soup.   Pigs trotters were also sold.   Of course it was war time so nothing was wasted.

Had the same diet as a kid and it was not wartime!

• Like 1

A Cow has two small cheeks, relative to the fore and hind it is highly likely that the Butcher regarded these a bonus on the carcase price and priced them accordingly, ie down.

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Probably going into the Hamburger meat much more required today???

17 minutes ago, mollag said:

A butcher told me that IOM Meats wouldnt process the beasts nappers, he offered to take said nappers and process them himself, he was rejected.

What is a napper?

• Like 1