Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I'm not sure that will work.  Even if the larger Port Erin, Peel and Ramsey shops become 'proper' Tesco stores rather than Expresses, they may not have the same range or choice as Lake Road and people may still be going in there for their main shop if they went before.  And of course the majority of people work in Douglas, so it may still be more convenient to go there before going home.

And the Tesco Expresses won't just be more expensive than the others, they'll have much less range and possibly lack budget lines.  So they may get less use than they did as Shoprite, though they might stock more in the way of convenience food (sandwiches, ready meals) than they did before.  

Not so sure, by the time you get rid of Subway in Port Erin, and the chemist in Ramsey, give them a redesign, and there will be plenty of space to stock a large Tesco. 

40 minutes ago, Cambon said:

Not so sure, by the time you get rid of Subway in Port Erin, and the chemist in Ramsey, give them a redesign, and there will be plenty of space to stock a large Tesco. 

Nothing like as large as Lake Road though.  I've just measured up the areas on Manngis and total floor space comes up as:

Port Erin 1770 sq m

Peel 1875 sq m

Ramsey 1870 sq m

Tesco Lake Road 4375 sq m

All very rough but you can see that the current Tesco is much bigger than any two of these together.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Nothing like as large as Lake Road though.  I've just measured up the areas on Manngis and total floor space comes up as:

Port Erin 1770 sq m

Peel 1875 sq m

Ramsey 1870 sq m

Tesco Lake Road 4375 sq m

All very rough but you can see that the current Tesco is much bigger than any two of these together.

I agree. However, Lake Road includes considerable stores, large staff canteen, public toilets, convenience store and bakery, which are unlikely to go. The other three all have concessions in that will be going. Results will not be dissimilar in useable space. 

Edited by Cambon
  • Like 1

WC Wilson's, Shoprites warehouse opposite the Power station, contains a huge freezer and oodles of shelf goods storage.

I spoke with a Tesco staff member earlier in the year, he was under the impression Tesco were very frustrated with the struggle for expansion permissions, Shoprite being a serial objecter, they sought permission to add another floor to Lake road, but no. 

Personally I always thought The Lake road a poor position, the Cooil road area would have been better, particularly for non Douglas residents wanting a Tesco shop. The Lake road was a great oppo to bring residenial accomodation back into the heart of the  town.

48 minutes ago, mollag said:

WC Wilson's, Shoprites warehouse opposite the Power station, contains a huge freezer and oodles of shelf goods storage.

I spoke with a Tesco staff member earlier in the year, he was under the impression Tesco were very frustrated with the struggle for expansion permissions, Shoprite being a serial objecter, they sought permission to add another floor to Lake road, but no. 

Personally I always thought The Lake road a poor position, the Cooil road area would have been better, particularly for non Douglas residents wanting a Tesco shop. The Lake road was a great oppo to bring residenial accomodation back into the heart of the  town.

Did Shoprite object to the mezzanine planning? Did they get party status? It was refused on purely planning grounds, is my recollection.

I sort of agree about Lake Road, however a lot of it was owned by government ( Railway land ) as well as ex Quiggins/Timber Yard, and it was a brown field site. Whereas at the time Cooil Road wasn’t zoned for retail, and was controlled by IOM Industrial Development Co Ltd and nothing was zoned on Ballapaddag side. I’m still surprised at what has been allowed south of Cooil Road. 

Im uncertain about building anything on a flood plain. May not be the best place for housing long term.

Coop put the deal and plans together for Lake Road and then sold out to Tesco.

At the end of the day we are moving to the 15 minute city concept. I don’t think we will get any more large out of town retail built.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Did Shoprite object to the mezzanine planning? Did they get party status? It was refused on purely planning grounds, is my recollection.

I sort of agree about Lake Road, however a lot of it was owned by government ( Railway land ) as well as ex Quiggins/Timber Yard, and it was a brown field site. Whereas at the time Cooil Road wasn’t zoned for retail, and was controlled by IOM Industrial Development Co Ltd and nothing was zoned on Ballapaddag side. I’m still surprised at what has been allowed south of Cooil Road. 

Im uncertain about building anything on a flood plain. May not be the best place for housing long term.

At the end of the day we are moving to the 15 minute city concept. I don’t think we will get any more large out of town retail built.

Flood plain?

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It would needs be raised  John, not impossible, the milestone area section was raised quite a bit.

15 minutes ago, mollag said:

Hence the name Lake Road, in the right conditions it would flood up as far as the Quarter bridge, big tides meet melt watet / heavy rainfall, it still occurs to a degree.

I didn't say it couldn't flood. It's just not what I picture when I think of flood plain. I could of course be wrong. It's a steep sided valley to me. More of a Boscastle than a vale of York?

20 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Flood plain?

Before the railway was built the whole area below Peel Road to the river Glass was a marshy lake. Including Hills Meadow and the NSC.  The river was straightened, banks were built to give it a defined channel. The railway line to Peel is on a raised embankment. That allowed the land between the line and Peel Road and the railway to be drained.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Before the railway was built the whole area below Peel Road to the river Glass was a marshy lake. Including Hills Meadow and the NSC.  The river was straightened, banks were built to give it a defined channel. The railway line to Peel is on a raised embankment. That allowed the land between the line and Peel Road and the railway to be drained.

Was the area below Peel Road, where the railway station is, blasted ? Just that if you look at Railway Terrace from the car park, it looks like a cliff and the properties are built on stilts. 

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It's interesting. Is an area of flood risk a flood plain though?