Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, finlo said:

Can't have been far off though!😀

I suppose not, really. 

ETA, probably close because my parents were children during the war, and the habits were passed on from their direct experience.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gladys said:

What is a napper?

The head of the beast,  Manx meats prefered to send them for incineration than process them.

Re testicles,Lambs were sold as "Lambs Frys"  Sometimes confused with "Sweetbreads" which are. I think, the Thymus glands from the neck, I havnt spottted them for a while, last I had them was in Madrid, V nice they were too.

Edited by mollag
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Gladys said:

Cheek is a really tasty cut of meat, but so hard to get hold of.  When Tesco had the butcher's counter, they sold it, but not now. 

Ballahig meats at St John's will sort you out with any offal or different cuts, cheeks/shin etc give them a call, they will even deliver to your door.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Ballahig meats at St John's will sort you out with any offal or different cuts, cheeks/shin etc give them a call, they will even deliver to your door.

Thanks.  I have used them, and they are very good on price too.  Just a shame that these cuts are not more widely available. 

I did chat to someone on the Manx Meat stall at the food fair last year, or the year before.  They said that there was no demand from butchers, which was a bit of a cop out I thought.  Presumably marketing isn't within their remit. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Fred the shred said:

As a kid we regularly had liver,heart  or tripe for dinner and an ox tail made great soup.   Pigs trotters were also sold.   Of course it was war time so nothing was wasted.

Love an oxtail as well as cows udder and tripe only thing I wasn't struck on was brawn, my father was a butcher and we were lucky enough to get such delicacies back in the day. I only realised as I got older that they were the bits nobody wanted. I would happy today to sit at the table with the family and delve into a pot of shin broth and a pot of spuds in their jackets accompanied by a large dollop of butter it was heaven back in the day.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Thanks.  I have used them, and they are very good on price too.  Just a shame that these cuts are not more widely available. 

I did chat to someone on the Manx Meat stall at the food fair last year, or the year before.  They said that there was no demand from butchers, which was a bit of a cop out I thought.  Presumably marketing isn't within their remit. 

Gladys unfortunately the people of today do not have time to cook the more economical cuts and want something that cooks in minutes, although they will sit for hours gazing at a telephone etc. times have changed and not for the better.

• Like 4

Just now, Beelzebub3 said:

Gladys unfortunately the people of today do not have time to cook the more economical cuts and want something that cooks in minutes, although they will sit for hours gazing at a telephone etc. times have changed and not for the better.

That may be true, but a slow cooker is ideal for cooking these cuts and is quite a time saver for the evening meal.  Takes a bit of forethought and planning though! 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Remember lamb shank's (stands back while the more puerile go to town) many moons ago could not get rid of them. Or when asking butcher for some bones for the dog " I've thrown a couple of shanks in there with them" used to be reply, along comes some Basildon barrow boy trendy chef says you got to try these. Now Can not get em for love nor money, well you can at £14 a pair. Just cook them and they come and eat them.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Remember lamb shank's (stands back while the more puerile go to town) many moons ago could not get rid of them. Or when asking butcher for some bones for the dog " I've thrown a couple of shanks in there with them" used to be reply, along comes some Basildon barrow boy trendy chef says you got to try these. Now Can not get em for love nor money, well you can at £14 a pair. Just cook them and they come and eat them.

Indeed Jamie Oliver has a lot to answer too, lamb shank's indeed cost a fortune now😁

The Binnie Report on the Abattoir was quite revealing on the attitude to cheaper cuts

10.3. Red Offal facilities

The red offal processing facilities were inspected and the procedures which were in place were deemed to be of a high standard. The quality of processing was excellent, and the preparation and presentation of the product was good. The operative was trimming skirts, liver, kidneys, hearts and tongues to a very good standard.

We were told that the product was going to a dog food factory, and it is possible that the product was being overprepared. The product was processed to a standard which would meet human consumption standards. If this could be achieved, the product could potentially be sold at a higher price point.

It may be worth exploring the potential for sale of offal for human consumption. This may not be possible and is certainly not as large a priority as many of the other factors identified during this audit, but it is something which could potentially add revenue.

As so often when government management is involved, the main driver seems to be keeping things simple for those in charge.

• Like 1