Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

17 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

question is are they using face technology to guess if I am over 25? Are they using some sort of tech to recognise me and my club card and remember that a shop worker has previously authorised me?

A quick google suggests they were trialing tech a few years ago to guess ages, but I didn’t find a conclusive answer.

A similar thing happened to me in a small Tesco superstore in England a few weeks ago. Certainly in my case there was no high tech about it .I was expecting someone to come over to authorise it when a staff member working at a monitor called over that he had authorised it from his monitor realising that I was over 18..

In fact I was waiting for him to offer me a seat as I understand that's an important part of us old people doing shopping 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, emesde said:

In fact I was waiting for him to offer me a seat as I understand that's an important part of us old people doing shopping 🤣

Yes, I would like them to at least hesitate before they press the authorise button. 

• Haha 4

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, emesde said:

A similar thing happened to me in a small Tesco superstore in England a few weeks ago. Certainly in my case there was no high tech about it .I was expecting someone to come over to authorise it when a staff member working at a monitor called over that he had authorised it from his monitor realising that I was over 18..

Thanks, I have seen them do that before but this was instant and made me wonder if it is somehow remembering people.

Edited by Anthony Ingham

8 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, I would like them to at least hesitate before they press the authorise button. 

Good luck with that.

A while ago I bought some liqueur chocolates in a Douglas store and was served by a very pleasant young man but new to retailing. He apologised but said he would have to see some ID. 

I think he was extremely embarrassed when I used my photo ID bus pass.😊

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Yes, a vain one though.  I do sometimes ask that they at least hesitate, but it is usually met with a nervous laugh. 

Yes .....it's the laughing that does my head in. Want to slap em.😜

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

Big brother is mighty near…..

Tell me about it. Just been looking at the new requirements for European travel  next year .ETIAS .

Will probably all have to be ,"chipped" soon . A little micro chip in the back of the neck and you'll never need id cards again.

2 hours ago, emesde said:

You can laugh as much as you like about the need for seating . Three elderly people separately raised this when I was talking to them so all I was doing was representing their views . I appreciate you may not need seating yourself and that’s good but some people do . And if you want to carry on laughing then I suggest you go have a conversation with those very three people who are all over eighty and see what they have to say to you .