Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Like you Gladys.i certainly wouldn't do a big shop in a Tesco Express,but then they are not intended for that.They are convenience stores and compete with Spar and Co-op and others of that type .they carry a smaller and different range of products from the superstores.They open earlier and cater for a different market. But there will be 6 superstores and 4 express stores by the end of the year. That doesn't sound like a bad mix.

For the record I do 90 % of my shopping in M &S as It is the most convenient. However I cannot see why the negative feelings to a store that is so much better than the ones they are replacing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

However I cannot see why the negative feelings to a store that is so much better than the ones they are replacing.

In your opinion, in a few months time you'll be beating about the crap shopping options here.

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

I got stuck in the gridlock of traffic at Lake Road Tesco this afternoon, apparently due to Castletown Road being closed for tree trimming? It was a nightmare; no one could move.  I just wonder why the department responsible would choose today, as TT is about commence. 

Sorry, l think l may have posted this in the wrong listing.  It was the Tesco bit that encouraged me!

The only thing I could find about it was a 3FM piece that just repeated a Facebook post from BUs Vannin apologising for the blockage (presumably their buses were affected coming out of the yard).  It's for the felling of diseased ash trees on the Nunnery Estate, which might have been done more sensibly earlier - I always assumed they avoided tree felling in Spring anyway due to birds nesting etc.

I wondered if the tree-felling needed had been caused by the wind the other night, but looking at the TTRN [temporary traffic regulation notice] list available via here, it looks like it was planned and the link to the Road Watch item suggests it was booked as far back as April:

• Name
    Old Castletown Road
  •  
    Description
    Temporary closure requested by Watling Streetworks on behalf of the Nunnery Estate to allow for felling of large dead ash trees. For queries, please telephone 851681.
  •  
    Date
    Today 9:30 AM - 3:30 PM

TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS

•  
    Detour

•  
    Old Castletown Road

INFORMATION FOR OPERATIONAL TEAMS

•  
    Road agency
    Isle of Man

RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS ROAD EVENT

Isle of Man

•  
    Event info last updated
    Apr 16, 3:38 PM
  •  
    Last updated on Causeway one.network
    May 24, 11:16 PM

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The only thing I could find about it was a 3FM piece that just repeated a Facebook post from BUs Vannin apologising for the blockage (presumably their buses were affected coming out of the yard).  It's for the felling of diseased ash trees on the Nunnery Estate, which might have been done more sensibly earlier - I always assumed they avoided tree felling in Spring anyway due to birds nesting etc.

I wondered if the tree-felling needed had been caused by the wind the other night, but looking at the TTRN [temporary traffic regulation notice] list available via here, it looks like it was planned and the link to the Road Watch item suggests it was booked as far back as April:

• Name
    Old Castletown Road
  •  
    Description
    Temporary closure requested by Watling Streetworks on behalf of the Nunnery Estate to allow for felling of large dead ash trees. For queries, please telephone 851681.
  •  
    Date

TRAFFIC RESTRICTIONS

•  
    Detour

•  
    Old Castletown Road

INFORMATION FOR OPERATIONAL TEAMS

•  
    Road agency
    Isle of Man

RESPONSIBILITY FOR THIS ROAD EVENT

Isle of Man

•  
    Event info last updated
    Apr 16, 3:38 PM
  •  
    Last updated on Causeway one.network
    May 24, 11:16 PM

Yes, Roger,  it was definitely planned.   l saw the notice a few weeks ago, as l use that road often to pick up my grandchildren from school in the South of the island.  I remember thinking when I first saw the sign that it was an odd decision to  close the road at this time, presumably knowing what a massive disruption it would cause-or maybe not! 

It affected an awful number of people.   l spoke to several car drivers who were baffled at what appeared to be a poorly planned decision.  l personally hadn't anticipated the gridlock it would cause in the surrounding area

• Like 1

8 hours ago, emesde said:

Like you Gladys.i certainly wouldn't do a big shop in a Tesco Express,but then they are not intended for that.They are convenience stores and compete with Spar and Co-op and others of that type .they carry a smaller and different range of products from the superstores.They open earlier and cater for a different market. But there will be 6 superstores and 4 express stores by the end of the year. That doesn't sound like a bad mix.

For the record I do 90 % of my shopping in M &S as It is the most convenient. However I cannot see why the negative feelings to a store that is so much better than the ones they are replacing.

Some M&S food prices have of late been quite competitive. Which might account for their food sales increasing 13% (with a margin of 4.8%) in their last financial year.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, finlo said:

Just to add their stated aim is to push all other retailers off the island so I hope their low quality offerings satisfy all your retail requirements.

If that is their stated aim, please provide a link to that statement. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, finlo said:

In your opinion, in a few months time you'll be beating about the crap shopping options here.

That is so untrue on several levels. As I said I do most of my shopping in M&S .

Now if M &S were to close I would rather by far that Tesco was there as my main venue rather than Shoprite  

As I understand it ,it was Shoprite that were seeking a buyer for their business rather than Tesco wanting to take over 10 shops. I imagine Tesco were the only group who would have been interested.

If Tesco hadn't done the deal I think  there would have been several empty units for some time.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, finlo said:

Even crapper than before Tesco bought Shoprite?  The proof in the pudding is that Vic Road is always busy when I go in, and I go in often as it is my 'corner shop'.  That Shoprite, which was their main store,  was rarely busy with few queues at the tills.  However, you have to assume that Lake Road has taken a bit of a hit as those who would go there now go to Vic Road.

Went to the new PE Tesco this week, again busy, fair range but not as wide as Lake Road and prices seemed to be the same.  

I really can't see how you regard Shoprite, as was, as a paragon of supermarket shopping.  It was second rate on just about every front and, to an extent, that is understandable as they just didn't have the buying power to offer the range and prices that their larger competitor could.  They tried tie ups with other brands and retailers but it just didn't work. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Even crapper than before Tesco bought Shoprite?  The proof in the pudding is that Vic Road is always busy when I go in, and I go in often as it is my 'corner shop'.  That Shoprite, which was their main store,  was rarely busy with few queues at the tills.  However, you have to assume that Lake Road has taken a bit of a hit as those who would go there now go to Vic Road.

Went to the new PE Tesco this week, again busy, fair range but not as wide as Lake Road and prices seemed to be the same.  

I really can't see how you regard Shoprite, as was, as a paragon of supermarket shopping.  It was second rate on just about every front and, to an extent, that is understandable as they just didn't have the buying power to offer the range and prices that their larger competitor could.  They tried tie ups with other brands and retailers but it just didn't work. 

You're teetering on the edge of that rabbit-hole again.

Up to you, just saying. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

What are you comparing their higher prices and less choice with?  It's a Tesco Express after all. 

In Castletown I'd say there are slightly higher prices and less choice, though that a special case as there's no nearby larger store to compare it with.  With prices I suspect they are only a bit higher than Shoprite and some categories are usually less (eg fruit and veg).  But the Express mark-up coupled with the lack of budget lines means that people may be paying more than they were. 

This is compounded by Tesco's decision to put their own goods into the stores while they were still branded Shoprite.  So people had the experience of shopping Tesco goods at (usually) Lake Road prices and then have the stores reopen with Express prices and choice.  So they certainly noticed a big increase on what went immediately before.

As far as choice is concerned, this is again because of a Tesco decision to treat Castletown as a standard Express (Peel and Ramsey may work differently).   So there's certainly an increase in choice for certain types of goods - more crisps, sandwiches, food to eat on the go and so on.  Which is why they've made such an effort to have all the Expresses open for TT.   But that comes at the expense of other stuff, there's less frozen for instance.

Posted (edited)
On 10/11/2023 at 1:08 PM, CrazyDave said:

The only island residents this is good for is the Nicholsons, and possibly Mezeron if some rumours are to be believed.

Everyone else will lose out on some way.

It seems like there was some truth in this.  Maybe that Dave fella knew more than people gave him credit for 🤔

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Some M&S food prices have of late been quite competitive. Which might account for their food sales increasing 13% (with a margin of 4.8%) in their last financial 

Yes, l think you are right.  Lots of people switching to M&S.

good start to Peel shop in Michael St - the set of chilled food cabinets failed thus all produce cheese etc missing this morning along with some fruit - prices are higher than shoprite according to one contact - on a few items where I know the Waitrose price across they were about 25% higher so my guess is that will be more expensive - veg + fruit more expensive than M+S and a restricted selection - there are I suspect only about 50-60% of lines that used to be stocked by Shoprite

6 minutes ago, Frances said:

good start to Peel shop in Michael St - the set of chilled food cabinets failed thus all produce cheese etc missing this morning along with some fruit - prices are higher than shoprite according to one contact - on a few items where I know the Waitrose price across they were about 25% higher so my guess is that will be more expensive - veg + fruit more expensive than M+S and a restricted selection - there are I suspect only about 50-60% of lines that used to be stocked by Shoprite

Express stores do be like that.