Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

1 minute ago, Last Ten said:

Can’t wait for Tesco to come here!

Hovis thick sliced bread yesterday at Tesco £1.39

Hovis thick sliced bread in the robbing Spar shops £2.05
That difference is best in my pocket so Tesco will be a welcome to my family.

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

Spar is a convenience store.  Convenience stores are more expensive than supermarkets.

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

It's interesting. Is an area of flood risk a flood plain though? 

It’s an area of flood risk because it’s a flood plain.

Up until the 1860’s the river had three of four meandering channels. It’s classic flood plain.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Was the area below Peel Road, where the railway station is, blasted ? Just that if you look at Railway Terrace from the car park, it looks like a cliff and the properties are built on stilts. 

I don't think so if you look at the 1866 Ordinance Survey the cliff line is already there:

image.thumb.png.853e4fd26b3416ce39cfa86ff8948306.png

(coloured lines are existing road network overlaid) and Peel Road was already there.  It's possible they blasted a bit further down to get stone for building.

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I don't think so if you look at the 1866 Ordinance Survey the cliff line is already there:

image.thumb.png.853e4fd26b3416ce39cfa86ff8948306.png

(coloured lines are existing road network overlaid) and Peel Road was already there.  It's possible they blasted a bit further down to get stone for building.

Thanks Roger.  Very interesting.  There is a Hermitage marked (something to do with the nunnery?) And also a mark where the highest spring tides will reach.  The area around the bus and rail station is shown as The Lake, hence the road name I guess.  

Fascinating, thank you.   

34 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

Can’t wait for Tesco to come here!

Hovis thick sliced bread yesterday at Tesco £1.39

Hovis thick sliced bread in the robbing Spar shops £2.05
That difference is best in my pocket so Tesco will be a welcome to my family.

IMG_1372.jpeg

IMG_1369.jpeg

In spar defense for once - Tesco will be selling as a loss leader,  

the same people on the let’s give big pay rises to everyone fail to remember cost base for all these businesses increase accordingly. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s an area of flood risk because it’s a flood plain.

Up until the 1860’s the river had three of four meandering channels. It’s classic flood plain.

You are pushing it now. A flood plain regularly floods. When was the last time Tesco flooded. 

I accept 'regularly' is subjective and defining a flood plain might technically make it one, but a 'classic' floodplain it certainly is not. 

Just now, Happier diner said:

You are pushing it now. A flood plain regularly floods. When was the last time Tesco flooded. 

I accept 'regularly' is subjective and defining a flood plain might technically make it one, but a 'classic' floodplain it certainly is not. 

A few years ago, the car park certainly flooded damaging many cars. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

The carpark last flooded earlier this year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

That’s not the definition of flood plain. It’s a classic, but small scale flood plain. You’re getting confused by the human overlay of the last 150 years.

Lots of flood plains have been reclaimed, the channels canalised by straightening, raised banks, levees, or other flood protection methods. They’re still flood plains.

The Glass flood plain lies between Peel Road and the far side of Leigh Terrace, and between the Glass & the Dhoo, upstream of Quarterbridge, taking in the rugby pitches over to Cronkbourne Road and the meadow below Kirby.

There has been regular flooding of NSC, King George V Park, the Fire Station, Hills Meadow, Tesco Car Park. Why do you think they’ve rebuilt, strengthened and raised the banks behind Oddbins, KFC, Costa, McDonalds, Food & Winecellar etc, up to Milestone.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

In spar defense for once - Tesco will be selling as a loss leader,  

the same people on the let’s give big pay rises to everyone fail to remember cost base for all these businesses increase accordingly. 

And how often do you find loss leaders with other outlets on the Isle of Man? Not many, so bring it on Tesco.