Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

13 hours ago, Gladys said:

Even crapper than before Tesco bought Shoprite?  The proof in the pudding is that Vic Road is always busy when I go in, and I go in often as it is my 'corner shop'.  That Shoprite, which was their main store,  was rarely busy with few queues at the tills.  However, you have to assume that Lake Road has taken a bit of a hit as those who would go there now go to Vic Road.

Went to the new PE Tesco this week, again busy, fair range but not as wide as Lake Road and prices seemed to be the same.  

I really can't see how you regard Shoprite, as was, as a paragon of supermarket shopping.  It was second rate on just about every front and, to an extent, that is understandable as they just didn't have the buying power to offer the range and prices that their larger competitor could.  They tried tie ups with other brands and retailers but it just didn't work. 

Spot on. 

Lake Road has been a little quieter than say this time last year, but it is still a very busy shop. The prices at Lake Road, Little Switzerland, and Port Erin are all the same. I've yet to see anyone definitively state something factual about price differences in the three stores. 

People hammering on about Shoprite before it was purchased by Tesco are forgetting that they about 6 - 12 months away from closing up shop if they didn't find a buyer... that was reflected in the token price that Tesco paid for the Shoprite business. It was a failing business. 

The real money for Isle of Man Enterprises is having Tesco at all of the sites paying a commercial rent over the next 20ish years. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Frances said:

good start to Peel shop in Michael St - the set of chilled food cabinets failed thus all produce cheese etc missing this morning along with some fruit - prices are higher than shoprite according to one contact - on a few items where I know the Waitrose price across they were about 25% higher so my guess is that will be more expensive - veg + fruit more expensive than M+S and a restricted selection - there are I suspect only about 50-60% of lines that used to be stocked by Shoprite

Don't go spoiling the dream for all the "believers"

9 hours ago, Frances said:

good start to Peel shop in Michael St - the set of chilled food cabinets failed thus all produce cheese etc missing this morning along with some fruit - prices are higher than shoprite according to one contact - on a few items where I know the Waitrose price across they were about 25% higher so my guess is that will be more expensive - veg + fruit more expensive than M+S and a restricted selection - there are I suspect only about 50-60% of lines that used to be stocked by Shoprite

Keep on guessing and suspecting. Most would rather deal in facts

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, finlo said:

Inside the tent mate pissing out!

Perhaps you should seriously consider whether being inside the tent is right for you.  

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
I never did much of my food shopping in Shoprite - usually most was at M+S with other items from the Co-op - but there were some items the local Peel Co-op didn't stock and I used Shoprite thus my account was based on my impressions rather than comparing a shopping list which as a older single person and a non meat eater, non-drinker + non smoker who avoids junk food, is probably significantly different from those the revamped Peel Michael St shop seems set up for. Edited by Frances
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, finlo said:

Inside the tent mate pissing out!

You keep saying this, but you decline to elucidate. I could understand your reticence if you were directing the Tesco operation on the Island whilst hating their guts, but then you post absolute nonsense about every aspect of the business which proves you don't have the inside track you claim. If in spite of this, you actually are on the inside, then why? If you despise the company with the passion you demonstrate here, why continue taking the shilling? If you are a contractor you shouldn't be dealing with them on principle. If you merely work for a contractor to them, you are not on the inside.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So, recently I gave up shopping almost exclusively in Shoprite to almost exclusively in Tesco's, for obvious reasons.

Generally it's been good, they definitely have a better selection now and some things are cheaper, although others are more expensive. Generally the cost of a big shop has gone down slightly.

One thing I have noticed though is the quality can be a bit dubious. I bought some raspberries yesterday (sell by date marked 27th) which were covered in mould when I opened them. I've also had some scotch eggs in which the eggs were watery and didn't look fit to eat. I've also had some blueberries that had quite a few mouldy ones in. 

All this in the couple of months since they took over. I can only ever remember one such problem with Shoprite in decades of shopping there, it was some chicken that was off. I took it back, they didn't even look at my receipt before refunding me and giving me a much bigger pack of chicken for free.

It will be interesting to see how I get on returning the raspberries tomorrow. Hopefully just teething problems but no a great start.

10 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

So, recently I gave up shopping almost exclusively in Shoprite to almost exclusively in Tesco's, for obvious reasons.

Generally it's been good, they definitely have a better selection now and some things are cheaper, although others are more expensive. Generally the cost of a big shop has gone down slightly.

One thing I have noticed though is the quality can be a bit dubious. I bought some raspberries yesterday (sell by date marked 27th) which were covered in mould when I opened them. I've also had some scotch eggs in which the eggs were watery and didn't look fit to eat. I've also had some blueberries that had quite a few mouldy ones in. 

All this in the couple of months since they took over. I can only ever remember one such problem with Shoprite in decades of shopping there, it was some chicken that was off. I took it back, they didn't even look at my receipt before refunding me and giving me a much bigger pack of chicken for free.

It will be interesting to see how I get on returning the raspberries tomorrow. Hopefully just teething problems but no a great start.

Raspberries are very susceptible to mold. As are blueberries. Do what the Americans do and wash them with weak bleach (milton diluted 100*) and rinse well. Does wonders to their longevity.