Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Taken you a long time to come to acceptance. DM me with your name and address and I’ll personally pay for a plaque and send it to you, framed, to hang on your wall.

Very helpful really very helpful indeed thankyou so much you are such a kind soul ! 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I use for fuel, where having a Carrefour card gets me an 8 cent per litre discount. 

John just wondering does the Carrefour card work throughout Europe or do you have to have a different one in each country 

Similarly does a  UK Lidl card work throughout Europe. 

39 minutes ago, emesde said:

John just wondering does the Carrefour card work throughout Europe or do you have to have a different one in each country 

Similarly does a  UK Lidl card work throughout Europe. 

Country by country. Some Carrefour operations are franchisee operated. Think I have a LeClerc loyalty card for best price in France.

I get fuel in Spain from Petromiralles or BonArea. They’re 10c + cheaper than everyone else, and Miralles still have guys serving, they’re mainly hgv commercial but always have a few pumps for cars.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I went in a coop somewhere in England last year and my coop card wouldn't work - apparently I needed a green one.

Supermarket 'loyalty' cards are utter bullshit.

I depends where you are.  The cards on the Island are part of the Co-operative Group, which the biggest of them and it should work in their stores.  But there are other regional Co-ops such as Southern and Central England who have never joined that and that includes smaller ones as well such as Channel Islands.  And our cards won't work there.

The move in the Co-operative Group from divi to members discounts may make getting a card worth more than before, depending on what you buy.

• Like 1

Yes a friend of mine got a co-op £50 voucher for something she bought.She lives in the west country ,but none of the local branches would take the voucher. Evidently is was only valid in mid counties co-ops. Luckily they had some branches in Gloucestershire.but still had to travel a bit to use it.

It was much worse years ago when there were hundreds of societies.  I used to deal with Bristol CRS and Portsea Island Coop back in the day..

There was one society I remember only had 1 branch ,East Harptree in Somerset.,.  It's much better now but still confusing 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

Nothing to stop them from registering on line and getting a virtual one.

Last time I was in Germany supermarkets there had promotions where you had to collect coupons or tokens to get money off.. I'm not sure it's that different. 

It's not quite rocket surgery is it?

20 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Last time I was in Germany supermarkets there had promotions where you had to collect coupons or tokens to get money off.. I'm not sure it's that different. 

It's not quite rocket surgery is it?

Yes, coupon clipping is still popular with some Bulgarian and Spanish supermarket groups. Just like it was in IoM & UK.

1 hour ago, emesde said:

There was one society I remember only had 1 branch ,East Harptree in Somerset.,.  It's much better now but still confusing 

Lane Bottom Industrial & Equitable Pioneers was like that up until the mid 80’s. One shop. Huge warehouse. 

Somewhere between Oldham/Rochdale, I think.

Lots of Manchester canny folk went to Kendal Milne & Co and saw what they liked, especially white goods and furniture, then out to Lane End with details. Saved 40% and got divi.

My grandparents bought a beautiful Birds Eye Maple bedroom suite for my parents, for the spare bedroom. I inherited it, and used some of it.

Posted (edited)

I visited Shoprite, Onchan tonight.  I just needed basic stuff for dinner, the shelves were practically empty.  Is this the TT? Or something else?

Edited by Lilly
Added letter

8 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I visited Shoprite, Onchan tonight.  I just needed basic stuff for dinner, the shelves were practically empty.  Is this the TT? Or something else?

Reducing stock and not replacing prior to closing and conversion to Tesco, I’d guess. Although there’s lots of people over. Not sure they’d find Onchan Shoprite however.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, John Wright said:

Reducing stock and not replacing prior to closing and conversion to Tesco, I’d guess. Although there’s lots of people over. Not sure they’d find Onchan Shoprite however.

I did wonder if that was the reason.   I also noticed, they appear to be using it a a clearance to get rid of stock. London Gin 50% off.  Teabags 75% reduction.   Citrus lemon l use in a fat free cake 75% off etc.  Just to add to your last sentence, it's extremely busy. 

14 minutes ago, Lilly said:

I was in there the other day .lots of booze in stock so I think expecting decent sales but will be running down for refit 

The Village Walk shop will be rebranded as a Tesco and reopen some time in August.

The doors will close at 9pm on Saturday, 15 th June