Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Just now, emesde said:

I was in there the other day .lots of booze in stock so I think expecting decent sales but will be running down for refit 

The Village Walk shop will be rebranded as a Tesco and reopen some time in August.

The doors will close at 9pm on Saturday, 15 th June 

Thank you, for information, l had no idea it was closing on the 15th.

1 minute ago, Gladys said:

Think it was only announced today. 

Thank you, Gladys.  I use Onchan fairly regularly for dinner options, l will have to be more organised in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

It's very gallant to let someone else use your discount card but is it legal? Are they defrauding the shop?

I've had people ahead of me in the Tesco queue borrow mine on the suggestion of the checkout operator, so it looks as if they're OK with it.  And of course you get the points from their shopping.  Though if may lead to them sending you vouchers on stuff you'd never buy (but they do that anyway.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, IOM said:

Thanks . Although @emesde and others have said in previous posts that I have no idea what I am talking about !!!!!

It was to acknowledge you had raised it as an issue, not to say I agree that it should be an issue. 

There are all kinds of incentives offered to consumers - air miles, loyalty cards, bulk buy offers.  It is the way of commerce. 

Any consumer has the choice whether to avail themselves or not, and if they choose not to I cannot see the grounds for complaint. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I've had people ahead of me in the Tesco queue borrow mine on the suggestion of the checkout operator, so it looks as if they're OK with it.  And of course you get the points from their shopping.  Though if may lead to them sending you vouchers on stuff you'd never buy (but they do that anyway.

I would imagine the till operators would turn a blind eye to avoid confrontation? Getting points on someone else's shopping could be a problem? Deceit/fraud??? The rules probably do not allow this but it's probably inconsequential to the might of Tesco!!!

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

A perfect example of a win win situation 

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Posted (edited)

... only if they don't put their prices up to cover their losses!!!

It's rather like saying that 'shoplifting' is OK without considering the losses are built into the price that 'You' pay!

Edited by Kopek
more and more

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

... only if they don't put their prices up to cover their losses!!!

But the supermarket haven't lost anything. It's just one extra card holder buying into a promotion that had been costed anyway. And as we know it is generally the supplier that is funding the promo rather than the retailer.

Posted (edited)

They've missed out on the non cardholder paying the full price. Which is what partly pays for the special offer.

Edited by Kopek

2 minutes ago, Kopek said:

They've missed out on the non cardholder paying the full price.

True but that's nothing like shoplifting or stealing. The retailer will be on a year end target from all major suppliers. There will be bonuses for hitting and exceeding product targets so the retailers concern is to hit targets plus . So it's volume they want and customer to pay. As long as they are paid at least the promotional price they are fine . Stealing is a different proposition altogether.

10 minutes ago, WTF said:

disaster , the offer on 1 litre of gordons gin has ended.

Stop whining.

The real problem is that my favourite malt isn't on offer at the moment 🤣🤣

Have checked, superficially,  the Clubcard t&cs and they say that the Clubcard and points etc. are not transferable.  There are also some terms about sharing a Clubcard and adding cards to your account.  So the card is intended to be used by the person it is issued to. 

Offering someone your Clubcard to get an offer is likely contrary to the conditions, but do Tesco care unless you are really ripping the arse out of it? 

The t&cs also say that if a member of staff tells you something different to the t&Cs, the t&Cs will prevail. So, a cashier telling you it is OK, is not an excuse if you get challenged. 

Whether offering your card is fraud or another criminal offence, I don't know. 

That is another 20 minutes of my life I will not get back. 

• Like 2