Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Warburtons 50:50 medium loaf; coop 15p more expensive

6 x large eggs; same price

jaffa cakes; coop 5p more expensive

leeks; coop 95p per kilo more expensive

Heinz Tomato Soup; coop 10p a can more expensive

those were the first 5 items I looked at. Full prices, no member’s discount or club card.

if I’d applied those the Tesco savings are even bigger.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, IOM said:

Quite a lot of products in Coop are cheaper than Tesco Express and in some cases full offer Tesco stores . In fact cans of Baxter’s soup are cheaper in Spar than Tesco ! You will no doubt say I am making it all up though which is your usual default position 🤣🤣🤣🤣

pains me to say it,  but i agree with you on the baxters soup pricing and can confirm you're not making it up  ( this time )  

actually i'm not sure if it was/is a spar shop i saw the soup in ??  but it was in the wessex garage on alexandar drive,  £1.95 a tin.

i had to have a bit of a dig  😉

EDIT in RED 

Edited by WTF

9 minutes ago, Fred the shred said:

My friend has a Cooperative delivery and she is very happy and slots seem easy enough to get , Tesco slots are like hens teeth.

There seem to be a lot more Tesco slots now.

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I don’t think I've said that you’re making things up. I’ve said that it’s contrary to my experience.

And you don’t seem to be comparing like with like. What’s important, for home delivery, is the comparative cost on the coop and Tesco home delivery web sites.

Hmmm . I was making no reference to delivery charge rather referring to the in store price . I seem to remember you saying I had no idea what I was talking about …... It’s an actual fact that there are quite a lot of prices cheaper in the Coop than Tesco Express and it’s astonishing you can find products like canned soup 15p cheaper in Spar than full offer Tesco stores given how some posters trumpet how good Tesco are . As I have said before it’s worth shopping around it’s not as simple and straightforward as some seem to think . 

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

Hmmm . I was making no reference to delivery charge rather referring to the in store price . I seem to remember you saying I had no idea what I was talking about …... It’s an actual fact that there are quite a lot of prices cheaper in the Coop than Tesco Express and it’s astonishing you can find products like canned soup 15p cheaper in Spar than full offer Tesco stores given how some posters trumpet how good Tesco are . As I have said before it’s worth shopping around it’s not as simple and straightforward as some seem to think . 

I’m posting in the context of the Coop offering an island wide delivery service. So you’ve got to compare like with like.

And I’ve not mentioned delivery charges, at all.

And, if you were going to shop around, then you’d use the club card and multi buy deals or member prices. And Tesco on most things would be substantially cheaper. 

The Heinz tomato soup is an example. 5 cans for £5, saving £4 on single marked price.

Ive neither time, nor inclination to visit several shops, to find the cheapest. But I do shop around the Tesco site and buy the offers.

Im not a Tesco fan. I’m utterly without loyalty. However I like to do my shop in one visit, be it on line for delivery, or collection or in person. 

I’d love there to be an ALDI and a Booths over here.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I’m posting in the context of the Coop offering an island wide delivery service. So you’ve got to compare like with like.

And I’ve not mentioned delivery charges, at all.

And, if you were going to shop around, then you’d use the club card and multi buy deals or member prices. And Tesco on most things would be substantially cheaper. 

The Heinz tomato soup is an example. 5 cans for £5, saving £4 on single marked price.

Ive neither time, nor inclination to visit several shops, to find the cheapest. But I do shop around the Tesco site and buy the offers.

Im not a Tesco fan. I’m utterly without loyalty. I’d love there to be an ALDI and a Booths over here.

I think the point is if you want a particular brand ( we prefer Baxter’s to Heinz soup for example ) and there is no club card or multi buy offer then you may well pay a premium in Tesco . If you are not brand loyal then fine but I suspect a lot of people like what they like . I appreciate you don’t want to shop around thats entirely your free choice but I am posting to maybe help others who in some instances are “ brainwashed” that Tesco are always the cheapest. 

For info the Baxter’s tomato soup is £2 in Tesco £1.85 in Spar and £1.95 in Coop. 

But I know you want to send me a plaque saying “ I don’t know what I am talking about “ so obviously the above is just made up rubbish 🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 minute ago, IOM said:

I think the point is if you want a particular brand ( we prefer Baxter’s to Heinz soup for example ) and there is no club card or multi buy offer then you may well pay a premium in Tesco . If you are not brand loyal then fine but I suspect a lot of people like what they like . I appreciate you don’t want to shop around thats entirely your free choice but I am posting to maybe help others who in some instances are “ brainwashed” that Tesco are always the cheapest. 

For info the Baxter’s tomato soup is £2 in Tesco £1.85 in Spar and £1.95 in Coop. 

But I know you want to send me a plaque saying “ I don’t know what I am talking about “ so obviously the above is just made up rubbish 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Problem is you’re one track. You don’t help anyone with your claims, because they’re misleading.

Coop are starting an island wide delivery service. That’s what I was commenting on. You’re commenting, cross purpose and scattergun about something(s) else.

Im pointing out the Coop on line prices are consistently substantially more than Tesco, and the range is limited. About 450-500 items, compared to several thousand.

And I do shop around. Picking up the bargains in the shop, and shopping medium, that suits me.

Everyone 'shops around' to some extent, be it between stores for big items, or in store where you might take up a different brand of the same product, or a slightly different product, to make a saving.   

However, will people really waste time, energy and petrol by pursuing the best price on every item in their shopping list?  Most people will exercise the kind of discernment above, and will look at the total cost of the shop to decide if it suits their budget or not. 

Glad that the Co-op is offering deliveries, for those who want to use it, but if you are going to do a comparison, compare like with like. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Co-op in Ramsey is getting hammered now the main Shoprite is closed too. I was in there yesterday, it already looked like it had been pillaged by lunchtime.

me too ,  but miraculously they had everything i went in  for and the usual basket fillers i didn't intend to buy.

51 minutes ago, WTF said:

me too ,  but miraculously they had everything i went in  for and the usual basket fillers i didn't intend to buy.

Exactly the point I made about the small Port Erin Coop which was battered every day for weeks . However @emesdewas busy posting it was not the case and yet again I did not know what I was talking about !