Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

53 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Everyone 'shops around' to some extent, be it between stores for big items, or in store where you might take up a different brand of the same product, or a slightly different product, to make a saving.   

However, will people really waste time, energy and petrol by pursuing the best price on every item in their shopping list?  Most people will exercise the kind of discernment above, and will look at the total cost of the shop to decide if it suits their budget or not. 

Glad that the Co-op is offering deliveries, for those who want to use it, but if you are going to do a comparison, compare like with like. 

Yes but some people on limited budgets have no choice but to shop around . And in many areas of the island it’s very easy to walk and make a comparison between Tesco and the Coop it does not require driving around ! 

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

The range they’ll deliver is extremely limited and expensive. It’s MIC doing the delivery. Will it be EVRI/Hermes style? Half going to the tip or the delivery drivers friends and family? The rest misdelivered or left “hidden”?

It’s all very well you saying you were talking about the delivery charges but in this post I see you are stating the range is limited and expensive.  If you want to accuse me of highlighting the important issue relating to the price of groceries and dismiss it as one track that’s fine I just think for some people on limited budgets it’s a big issue . 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes but some people on limited budgets have no choice but to shop around . And in many areas of the island it’s very easy to walk and make a comparison between Tesco and the Coop it does not require driving around ! 

So, what is your point?  As I said most people already shop around and look at the overall bill against their budget. 

11 minutes ago, Gladys said:

So, what is your point?  As I said most people already shop around and look at the overall bill against their budget. 

My point is in most parts of the island you don’t need to waste petrol to shop around which was your claim . 

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

My point is in most parts of the island you don’t need to waste petrol to shop around which was your claim . 

I would be wasting petrol in my own case, as there are very few shops near to me and those that are, are atill quite a hike away, let alone lugging shopping home.

Have you any views on the colour of orange juice? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I would be wasting petrol in my own case, as there are very few shops near to me and those that are, are atill quite a hike away, let alone lugging shopping home.

Have you any views on the colour of orange juice? 

That’s fine in your case but your post stated ‘will people want to drive around ‘  so you were not just referring to yourself . And no I have no views on the colour of orange juice thankyou do you ? 

25 minutes ago, IOM said:

It’s all very well you saying you were talking about the delivery charges but in this post I see you are stating the range is limited and expensive.  If you want to accuse me of highlighting the important issue relating to the price of groceries and dismiss it as one track that’s fine I just think for some people on limited budgets it’s a big issue . 

I’ve never mentioned delivery charges. You’ve suggested that I have, twice.

This started, today, with someone posting about the enhanced coop delivery service, which they suggested would be helpful in saving money for people who previously shopped at Shoprite, but were now lumbered with higher priced Tesco Expresses.

I pointed out that Coop on line is more limited in range, and much more expensive, than Tesco.

As for your walking, and comparing, and then, if necessary, returning, yes, it’s possible in Peel, Castletown, and Ramsey, where the Tesco Express and Coop stores are close by. But Port Erin, Peel and Ramsey have a Superstore close by, as does Onchan.

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

I pointed out that Coop on line is more limited in range, and much more expensive, than Tesco.

As for your walking, and comparing, and then, if necessary, returning, yes, it’s possible in Peel, Castletown, and Ramsey, where the Tesco Express and Coop stores are close by. But Port Erin, Peel and Ramsey have a Superstore close by, as does Onchan.

And I pointed out the Coop is not always more expensive and provided an example . In Port Erin , Peel and Ramsey comparing the Tesco full offer store to Coop is exactly what people might want to do there are examples where the Coop is cheaper than Tesco superstore and I made that point earlier . 

18 minutes ago, IOM said:

And I pointed out the Coop is not always more expensive and provided an example . In Port Erin , Peel and Ramsey comparing the Tesco full offer store to Coop is exactly what people might want to do there are examples where the Coop is cheaper than Tesco superstore and I made that point earlier . 

We’re clearly talking at cross purposes. I’ve explained the context. You just don’t get it. You’re comparing apples with god knows what. 

43 minutes ago, IOM said:

That’s fine in your case but your post stated ‘will people want to drive around ‘  so you were not just referring to yourself . And no I have no views on the colour of orange juice thankyou do you ? 

Slight misquote, you missed wating time and energy, but never mind.  However, my view on the colour of orange juice is that it is, well, orange.