Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

2 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

And how often do you find loss leaders with other outlets on the Isle of Man? Not many, so bring it on Tesco.

Loss leaders are there for a reason, to get you in and spend money you hadn’t planned on spending. 

it doesn’t mean other businesses ripping you off, it generally means paying fair price to their suppliers 

when Tesco squeeze out the competition, watch the prices rise as they have done in the UK 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Thanks Roger.  Very interesting.  There is a Hermitage marked (something to do with the nunnery?) And also a mark where the highest spring tides will reach.  The area around the bus and rail station is shown as The Lake, hence the road name I guess.  

Fascinating, thank you.   

The Hermitage was part of the Nunnery Estate. It covered where Quayles Garage was with gardens up towards what became the old Wool Control Centre. Now a reclamation place.

The Hermitage became the original Cunningham House, then Quayles and now the new Douglas City flats.

what was the Hermitage garden was developed as a Drill Hall in the 1890’s. In the basement there was/is a rifle range. Next to Brown Bobby. Big sign saying Armoury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

A large flat area of land near the mouth of a river with a built harbour and is called Lake Road can't possibly be a flood plain no, of course not.

Fucks sake Happier Diner.

A 'large' area? Extending all of 50m to the south!

I only said its not what you visualise when you think of a 'plain'.

6 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A 'large' area? Extending all of 50m to the south!

I only said its not what you visualise when you think of a 'plain'.

Except it’s not just that area. The flood plain extends up to Cronkbourne Road and Kirby Meadow.

If you look a the map Roger has posted, one page back, the area marked Ropewalk is on the flood plain. There are cliffs marked, escarpment. The area marked lake. I mentioned the meandering branches of the Glass. That’s shown. The area marked with field numbers 2930/2/3/4 was in effect an island, with the river on each side. It was a marshy swamp. As was The Lake.

Small river, small flood plain. Big river, etc.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except it’s not just that area. The flood plain extends up to Cronkbourne Road and Kirby Meadow.

If you look a the map Roger has posted, one page back, the area marked Ropewalk is on the flood plain. There are cliffs marked, escarpment. The area marked lake. I mentioned the meandering branches of the Glass. That’s shown. The area marked with field numbers 2930/2/3/4 was in effect an island, with the river on each side. It was a marshy swamp. As was The Lake.

Small river, small flood plain. Big river, etc.

My wife remembers tesco flooding,  she says it was all just water under the fridge. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

A warning is not a flood. When did tesco last flood. By tesco I mean the store, not a puddle in the car park. I honestly don't remember.

The store is set higher than the road.  The car park has flooded at the far end, but the store is set higher. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Manxman1234 said:

when Tesco squeeze out the competition, watch the prices rise as they have done in the UK 

What does this mean? They certainly haven't squeezed the competition out in the UK. It gets more intense all the time. If you mean in specific locations, that doesn't work either because they have national pricing.

10 hours ago, Gladys said:

The store is set higher than the road.  The car park has flooded at the far end, but the store is set higher. 

I have heard that they are going to produce a Tesco cookbook which relies on non perishable and flood proof ingredients just in case the store floods.

Sound like a recipe for disaster to me!

• Sad 1

I haven’t seen Dealz mentioned with regard to other retail outlets, you would be surprised at how much stuff that shop moves in small quantities perhaps but it adds up the prices have crept up recently but always busy.   The staff at Shoprite have had an information pack from Tesco apparently their hourly rate is going up around £2.50 an hour from January this is for staff at Victoria Road, they also think all other stores will be Tesco Express.    Regarding loss leaders M&S have done this with there value bread currently at 80p for quite a while now.

Off topic but went to Tesco yesterday ( it's been a while since I've gone there) 

When coming down Bank hill ( going downhill past the  steam railway station)  and waiting to turn right to tesco ,  the building opposite  ( ? Railway  Pub )  seems to have put up a fence blocking  visibility of the cars coming  towards you over the bridge 

Saw someone in front of me nearly have an accident as they didn't see the car coming  from the left ( cars coming  have priority ) Both cars were small ( I think a i10 and a swift ) .. I suppose those who are tall or in an SUV might be okay ..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1