Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

20 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It certainly was. But there will no doubt be people on Facebook claiming it's an Express because a tin of beans has gone up by 1p since they were in Lake Road six months ago.

Ramsey big Tesco is apparently now delayed until early October. 

Not sure too much has been done at Winerite but may step up a gear now that Onchan is done. 

It may be costing Isle of Man Enterprises a pretty penny to put the fabric of the old Shoprite buildings into a sound condition for Tesco to take on the lease. 

They were in a poor state.

My info is that the work on winerite won’t start until the others are done. And they were taken as were.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

But there will no doubt be people on Facebook claiming it's an Express because a tin of beans has gone up by 1p since they were in Lake Road six months ago.

I see you continue to misrepresent others views . I honestly don’t think that is what anybody has said . The issue is you don’t want to understand facts because you are nothing but a Tesco cheerleader. I am sure there are a lot of people very happy with the new Tesco’s and that’s fair enough but equally there are a lot who aren’t for any number of reasons ! 

• Haha 4

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

I see you continue to misrepresent others views . I honestly don’t think that is what anybody has said . The issue is you don’t want to understand facts because you are nothing but a Tesco cheerleader. I am sure there are a lot of people very happy with the new Tesco’s and that’s fair enough but equally there are a lot who aren’t for any number of reasons ! 

Oh god someone woke you up! 

It's not 'misrepresenting' when there are literally muppets on Facebook claiming that Port Erin is an Express store.

1 minute ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Oh god someone woke you up! 

It's not 'misrepresenting' when there are literally muppets on Facebook claiming that Port Erin is an Express store.

I don’t need waking up thankyou I think that’s more the case for you because you sleep walk into thinking Tesco are the greatest business ever ! If someone is claiming Port Erin is an Express I agree that’s blatantly wrong . As for your comment about 1p like I said the facts are the facts about Tesco pricing compared to across but I am not going through that again because cheerleaders like you just choose to ignore them ! 

14 minutes ago, IOM said:

And as everyone bar you accepts, the jury is out, and we will have to wait until the whole conversion project is completed before any meaningful judgment can be made.

You overplayed your hand and made extravagant claims that you couldn’t back up, very early on.

The IoM area store director team brought in 2 deputy directors to oversee the change over. They were supposed to be on 6 month secondment. It’s been extended to 12 months, as I understand.

• Thanks 1

FFS, not this again! 

From the appearance of the Shoprite stores, there was little investment - tatty shops and fittings and do we all remember the water absorbing rolls placed below freezer and chiller cabinets?

They were clearly unable to invest in their stores.  The range was poor and continual attempts to tie up with 'big names' didn't really work.  They had had their day, sad, but there needed to be huge investment to keep the stores in a reasonable state and there wasn't the buying power to provide a competitive range at a competitive price.  As others have said, they probably  sold out just ahead of taking more drastic action.

Tesco have invested huge amounts in refurbishment of these stores, they are bright, clean and the staff are very pleasant.  

I am not a Tesco cheerleader, but when you compare what we have to Shoprite it is a vast improvement.  Prices and range are better, and yes, there are variances between pricing in Express and the Superstores.  That is how the model operates.

What is the alternative?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And as everyone bar you accepts, the jury is out, and we will have to wait until the whole conversion project is completed before any meaningful judgment can be made.

You overplayed your hand and made extravagant claims that you couldn’t back up, very early on.

The IoM area store director team brought in 2 deputy directors to oversee the change over. They were supposed to be on 6 month secondment. It’s been extended to 12 months, as I understand.

What a gross exaggeration of a post ! For a start how can you even claim everyone accepts it have you literally been out and spoken to everyone what an outrageous statement! And I think time will show I have not overplayed any hand . Rather you will continue to misrepresent and downplay the views of people who share a different opinion to yourself ! At least I am happy to recognise peoples own views can you honestly say you do ? 

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

FFS, not this again! 

From the appearance of the Shoprite stores, there was little investment - tatty shops and fittings and do we all remember the water absorbing rolls placed below freezer and chiller cabinets?

They were clearly unable to invest in their stores.  The range was poor and continual attempts to tie up with 'big names' didn't really work.  They had had their day, sad, but there needed to be huge investment to keep the stores in a reasonable state and there wasn't the buying power to provide a competitive range at a competitive price.  As others have said, they probably  sold out just ahead of taking more drastic action.

Tesco have invested huge amounts in refurbishment of these stores, they are bright, clean and the staff are very pleasant.  

I am not a Tesco cheerleader, but when you compare what we have to Shoprite it is a vast improvement.  Prices and range are better, and yes, there are variances between pricing in Express and the Superstores.  That is how the model operates.

What is the alternative?

I have never referred to you as a Tesco cheerleader I will leave that for the poster they know who they are . And for what it’s worth believe it or not I agree with quite a lot of your post ! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Poppins said:

It may be costing Isle of Man Enterprises a pretty penny to put the fabric of the old Shoprite buildings into a sound condition for Tesco to take on the lease.

Tesco are doing the work, but you can rest assured they won't have worked themselves over with a bad deal.

28 minutes ago, IOM said:

like I said the facts are the facts about Tesco pricing compared to across but I am not going through that again because cheerleaders like you just choose to ignore them ! 

The facts are the facts, but you had your own facts which bore little resemblance to reality.

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

What a gross exaggeration of a post ! For a start how can you even claim everyone accepts it have you literally been out and spoken to everyone what an outrageous statement! And I think time will show I have not overplayed any hand . Rather you will continue to misrepresent and downplay the views of people who share a different opinion to yourself ! At least I am happy to recognise peoples own views can you honestly say you do ? 

And there’s the rub. I’m reporting facts. I’m neither for nor against Tesco. You’ve got your own twisted non fact based opinions.

Ill accept, I worded it badly, it should have said “all bar you and Ffinlo”.

• Haha 1