Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

On 8/22/2024 at 10:52 PM, Gladys said:

Why?  The self scan is so easy to use. 

The scanner phones are great, but if you go in with a small basket and self scan at the till, they are very frustrating to deal with. I go to castletown express and they often dont have anyone on the tills at all, so getting bags ect is tricky. And if you do manage to get one, it always asks you to place the bag on the weighing machine.. like really it weighs about 10g! The weighing area is also normally far to small for a shop 

12 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Pretty sure I've seen them in there. 

Can't say I'd buy them though. Tesco large eggs are better value.

Tesco don’t sell Manx eggs. And for the record re your point about being positive I would prefer to celebrate the following myself 

Velikas restaurant in Douglas 

Kellas - a great new addition to Port St Mary 

Expansion of Barbary Coast 

Beach Powder- set up by a local entrepreneur and featured on Dragons Den . 

That’s just a few and all businesses unique to the Isle of Man I would say a real reason to cheer ! 

• Thanks 1

Just now, IOM said:

Tesco don’t sell Manx eggs. And for the record re your point about being positive I would prefer to celebrate the following myself 

That’s just a few and all businesses unique to the Isle of Man I would say a real reason to cheer ! 

One doesn’t exclude the other. Tesco employs a lot of people on the island and from what I heard and see, they are way happier there than at Shoprite before. The latter also changed their slogan from “Manx to the max” to “proudly locally owned” which I thought was an incredibly empty and meaningless slogan. So I finance a local millionaire rather than shareholders elsewhere? How does that benefit me as the consumer? 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, IOM said:

Excellent. I'm pleased you like those things. 

That doesn't mean Tesco isn't good news. A multimillion private investment in modernising supermarkets that would otherwise have closed. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

isn't beach powder usually called sand ?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Excellent. I'm pleased you like those things. 

That doesn't mean Tesco isn't good news. A multimillion private investment in modernising supermarkets that would otherwise have closed. 

Yes new supermarkets….. great  🤣🤣🤣🤣As I said I don’t get excited by them and certainly don’t feel the need to celebrate the opening of each one . Why do you not cheerlead for some of the great local businesses I have just mentioned? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

isn't beach powder usually called sand ?

Then you don’t understand. It’s a product made from plant minerals to help remove sand after you have been on the beach . It was featured on Dragons Den a few years ago and the local entrepreneur secured an investment. I would say that’s a really positive story. 

5 minutes ago, IOM said:

Then you don’t understand. It’s a product made from plant minerals to help remove sand after you have been on the beach . It was featured on Dragons Den a few years ago and the local entrepreneur secured an investment. I would say that’s a really positive story. 

do they make a towel out of plant minerals then ?

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

One doesn’t exclude the other. Tesco employs a lot of people on the island and from what I heard and see, they are way happier there than at Shoprite before. The latter also changed their slogan from “Manx to the max” to “proudly locally owned” which I thought was an incredibly empty and meaningless slogan. So I finance a local millionaire rather than shareholders elsewhere? How does that benefit me as the consumer? 

There is not one part of my post that say they don’t exclude each other . What my post says is I personally prefer to celebrate some of the great local businesses and I have provided examples . It’s interesting that very few of these get recognised that often on these forums . And for the record I was no great fan of Shoprite I made those comments very early on in this thread . 

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

do they make a towel out of plant minerals then ?

It’s got nothing to do with drying yourself like that I suggest you spend a bit of time understanding it ! Tell me if it were that bad an idea that you feel you want to mock why did a respected serial entrepreneur and multi millionaire from the U.K. choose to invest in it ? 

1 minute ago, swoopy2110 said:

I wish Tesco would get some in-store music. Depressing walking round with none.

What type would you like?   I like sing along music 🎶.  When l was at Peel last week some gentleman was singing outside the ice-cream shop. It was lovely lots of people joined in:flowers: