Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

I was in the new Onchan store yesterday. There were a couple of items on my list, a specific type of wine and a multi-pack of a specific ice-cream product that I'd bought, in Victoria Road, earlier in the week with Clubcard 'yellow label' discounts. These were both full price. I didn't bother. 

Today, I was in Victoria Road and both products were still under 'yellow labels' and had a discount of around 25%.

This suggest that not only are there variations in price between the Superstores and Express stores, but the Superstores aren't necessarily going to be the same. 

I'm not saying that this is right or wrong. We all know that Tesco don't price the same across their network, but to have different pricing in two Superstores a mile apart seems a bit odd.  

Edited by Nellie
To add 'Clubcard'
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Nellie said:

I was in the new Onchan store yesterday. There were a couple of items on my list, a specific type of wine and a multi-pack of a specific ice-cream product that I'd bought, in Victoria Road, earlier in the week with 'yellow label' discounts. These were both full price. I didn't bother. 

Today, I was in Victoria Road and both products were still under 'yellow labels' and had a discount of around 25%.

This suggest that not only are there variations in price between the Superstores and Express stores, but the Superstores aren't necessarily going to be the same. 

I'm not saying that this is right or wrong. We all know that Tesco don't price the same across their network, but to have different pricing in two Superstores a mile apart seems a bit odd.  

The yellow label is a discount to shift the stock.  It is not standard pricing across the stores. 

2 minutes ago, Gladys said:

The yellow label is a discount to shift the stock.  It is not standard pricing across the stores. 

I'm not talking about those sticky labels they put on individual items that are about to go out of date, rather the discounts that are offered to Clubcard users.

Anyway, I'm not unduly concerned. I just thought it was a bit strange. 

5 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'm not talking about those sticky labels they put on individual items that are about to go out of date, rather the discounts that are offered to Clubcard users.

Anyway, I'm not unduly concerned. I just thought it was a bit strange. 

Sorry, I see.  Odd that the same Clubcard offers aren't applied across all stores, they are advertised on TV and through their app, perhaps they need to be told in case there is a glitch in the system. 

I was in the Onchan store on Thursday afternoon and there was certainly a 25% off 6 bottles of wine deal on. Because of store size the ranges carried are smaller . I took my car to Lake Rd and picked up a selection of wines there. Same 25,%deal. I suspect that the same clubcard deals are in the system for all superstores but probably a staff member had missed putting the shelf sticker at the point of sale.

For those desperate for a drink I think it said the deal came off on Monday🤪

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

There is music in the Vic Road store, certainly helps the time pass.  

It does actually, l do one big shop a week, it seems more pleasant with tunes l can sing along too:D

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lilly said:

It does actually, l do one big shop a week, it seems more pleasant with tunes l can sing along too

Music is a matter of taste, and tastes vary.

A while ago I was on a flight back from Tenerife to Liverpool, and some happy holiday-makers decided to have a sing-song - Yellow Submarine and stuff like that. Not to my taste.

I turned to the old dear sitting next to me to voice my displeasure and found that she was quietly singing along with them.

I remained silent and grumpy for the rest of the trip.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Music is a matter of taste, and tastes vary.

A while ago I was on a flight back from Tenerife to Liverpool, and some happy holiday-makers decided to have a sing-song - Yellow Submarine and stuff like that. Not to my taste.

I turned to the old dear sitting next to me to voice my displeasure and found that she was quietly singing along with them.

I remained silent and grumpy for the rest of the trip.

Yes, of course music is a matter of your own taste. They probably use popular music, could useful to sell their products too, a bit like the bread baking smell. 

3 hours ago, Nellie said:

was in the new Onchan store yesterday.

Would be interesting if you noted the full price in each store. It's common practice to 'increase' the full price when applying a loyalty discount, makes the discount seem to be greater!

It  could be that the Onchan full price was lower than the Vic rd full price.

Often the discounted price can be priced lower in other supermarkets 'normal' price.  Not that we have any 'others'!!!

Which?  have another review coming up on this subject.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

I wish Tesco would get some in-store music. Depressing walking round with none.

No - No, and just  NO.

I hate it.  Usually there is one or two speakers that have something living them and the sound is muffled, or you hear the cone flapping about as it tries to keep up.  

There are a couple that are angled in such a way that they project what ever is playing in it to a pin point sonic blaster 5'6" high from the surface of the floor - right where I want to stand to check out the environmental credentials of something I may wish to purchase.

The last song you hear stays in your head all the way home, while you are unpacking and while you wash,  neatly iron and fold your eco-sourced cloth bags to put away for next time.

If anything should happen to you in shop playing music (you bump in to someone you hate, you get a trolley rammed in to you by a twonk or you trap a finger in the little bag hoop thing) your brain replays that moment every time you hear the song for the next month.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Would be interesting if you noted the full price in each store. It's common practice to 'increase' the full price when applying a loyalty discount, makes the discount seem to be greater!

Often the discounted price can be priced lower in other supermarkets 'normal' price.  Not that we have any 'others'!!!

don't worry, IOM will have have already started compiling a list for us , should be ready in a few weeks unless they wait until all the stores are up and running.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Onchan Shoprite used to have music so unless they have dumped the system it is possibly still there, perhaps they haven’t got around to sorting it yet.   There was no money in the ATM they were advertising on the opening day I expect there are always teething problems.   

2 hours ago, Kopek said:

They are renown for inflating pricing , just to them put a club card offer on them