Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

13 hours ago, John Wright said:

Except it’s not just that area. The flood plain extends up to Cronkbourne Road and Kirby Meadow.

If you look a the map Roger has posted, one page back, the area marked Ropewalk is on the flood plain. There are cliffs marked, escarpment. The area marked lake. I mentioned the meandering branches of the Glass. That’s shown. The area marked with field numbers 2930/2/3/4 was in effect an island, with the river on each side. It was a marshy swamp. As was The Lake.

Small river, small flood plain. Big river, etc.

There was a stream running behind the Garages in Hills Meadow, behind where Robinsons was, parallel to the main road, a scrap yard I think now, it ran under the access ramp. Those units below Peel road would flood up to 2 foot, I was involved raising the height of the electrical outlets to 3 feet in my brothers welding shop. [late 70's]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

@daisy confused again? Surely not. Its very simple. 

Confused by your lack of understanding of flood plain.  Confused that you dont recall the Lake Road site being flooded ... Tesco, the actual 'shop', may not have been flooded ... but access to it was and I think they had to close early because of it.  https://www.facebook.com/EnergyFMIOM/posts/update-report-of-flooding-lake-road-and-tesco-car-park-douglas-parliament-square/10152188056874341/ Hey ho .... apparently you know better

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, daisy said:

Confused by your lack of understanding of flood plain.  Confused that you dont recall the Lake Road site being flooded ... Tesco, the actual 'shop', may not have been flooded ... but access to it was and I think they had to close early because of it.  https://www.facebook.com/EnergyFMIOM/posts/update-report-of-flooding-lake-road-and-tesco-car-park-douglas-parliament-square/10152188056874341/ Hey ho .... apparently you know better

I don't know better. If you bother to actually read back the subject was that Tesco was at risk of flooding. Yeah the flood plain was a side discussion and I simply questioned it. 

So, is Tesco at risk of flooding or not. I think it is but because it's high up it stands above the flood plain. Like any building close to a river there is a risk of course. Quantitying that risk it complex. I'm sure when it was built it was raised purposefully and the risk of flooding would have been modelled. 

I don't understand the key in the flood hub website arc GIS but I think it's in a lower risk location than around the quay.

Still confused?

5 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I don't know better. If you bother to actually read back the subject was that Tesco was at risk of flooding. Yeah the flood plain was a side discussion and I simply questioned it. 

So, is Tesco at risk of flooding or not. I think it is but because it's high up it stands above the flood plain. Like any building close to a river there is a risk of course. Quantitying that risk it complex. I'm sure when it was built it was raised purposefully and the risk of flooding would have been modelled. 

I don't understand the key in the flood hub website arc GIS but I think it's in a lower risk location than around the quay.

Still confused?

I’m confused. Because that’s not what the discussion was about. Mollag suggested that Lake Road would have been better used for housing. I suggested it was better not to build on it because it was on the River Glass flood plain.

You then repeatedly denied the existence of a River Glass flood plain. No one, apart from you, ever raised the spectre of the store itself having flooded, yet you are still banging on about it. Gladys explained the store itself was higher than the road and a lot of the car park.

The only person on here confused is you, because you’re in geographic denial.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

I’m confused. Because that’s not what the discussion was about. Mollag suggested that Lake Road would have been better used for housing. I suggested it was better not to build on it because it was on the River Glass flood plain.

You then repeatedly denied the existence of a River Glass flood plain. No one, apart from you, ever raised the spectre of the store itself having flooded, yet you are still banging on about it. Gladys explained the store itself was higher than the road and a lot of the car park.

The only person on here confused is you, because you’re in geographic denial.

I'm not confused. It was a discussion. I questioned it and accepted the reply. I merely said it's not what I visualised a flood plain to be. 

Another question. If a building or area that is within a flood plain is raised to a level at which it never floods, is it still within a flood plain or does it become surrounded by a flood plain. Question. Not banging on?