Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

9 hours ago, Nellie said:

I was in the new Onchan store yesterday. There were a couple of items on my list, a specific type of wine and a multi-pack of a specific ice-cream product that I'd bought, in Victoria Road, earlier in the week with Clubcard 'yellow label' discounts. These were both full price. I didn't bother. 

Today, I was in Victoria Road and both products were still under 'yellow labels' and had a discount of around 25%.

This suggest that not only are there variations in price between the Superstores and Express stores, but the Superstores aren't necessarily going to be the same. 

I'm not saying that this is right or wrong. We all know that Tesco don't price the same across their network, but to have different pricing in two Superstores a mile apart seems a bit odd.  

You can check the in store price in the app. 

What was the particular item?

11 hours ago, IOM said:

Yes new supermarkets….. great  🤣🤣🤣🤣As I said I don’t get excited by them and certainly don’t feel the need to celebrate the opening of each one . Why do you not cheerlead for some of the great local businesses I have just mentioned? 

I don't mind those businesses, they're good at what they do. 

But I don't have the urge to pull them down, just because I'm not excited by them. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I don't mind those businesses, they're good at what they do. 

But I don't have the urge to pull them down, just because I'm not excited by them. 

I think you are so wrapped up in your Tesco flag you don’t really know what you are posting at times ! If you were to look back I commented about the Tesco Victoria Road store and said “ I thought it was a nice store with wide aisles . Good area for fresh produce and am sure the clothing will be popular “ . Perhaps you would like to enlighten me on how that is pulling Tesco down ?  You also don’t understand what the Tesco offer is because you said you thought they sold Manx eggs and they absolutely don’t - personally I think that is a great shame. What I have commented on is I find it strange that you find the need to post every time a new Tesco store opens or is it the case that a large multinational needs you do that ? 

What is more surprising is your approach to local businesses agriculture and aquaculture ( yes I distinctly remember you pulling down the Manx shellfish sector in a previous post ) . Those businesses I called out are local and in most cases they are investing their own money in a challenging environment to make a success for the island . I for one salute them for doing that it’s a shame your preference is to cheer a multinational organisation on a regular basis but I recognise that is your choice . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IOM said:

What I have commented on is I find it strange that you find the need to post every time a new Tesco store opens or is it the case that a large multinational needs you do that ? (…) but I recognise that is your choice . 

I find it strange that you feel the need to post every time anyone else posts about a new Tesco store opening - but I recognise that is your choice.  I appreciate that everyone needs a hobby - but why not just ignore them?

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Jarndyce said:

I find it strange that you feel the need to post every time anyone else posts about a new Tesco store opening - but I recognise that is your choice.  I appreciate that everyone needs a hobby - but why not just ignore them?

I think a fair point it’s certainly no hobby for me . However said individual has a history of misrepresenting my comments and in that case I am less inclined to ignore them and correct them as I just did ! 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, IOM said:

I think you are so wrapped up in your Tesco flag you don’t really know what you are posting at times ! If you were to look back I commented about the Tesco Victoria Road store and said “ I thought it was a nice store with wide aisles . Good area for fresh produce and am sure the clothing will be popular “ . Perhaps you would like to enlighten me on how that is pulling Tesco down ?  You also don’t understand what the Tesco offer is because you said you thought they sold Manx eggs and they absolutely don’t - personally I think that is a great shame. What I have commented on is I find it strange that you find the need to post every time a new Tesco store opens or is it the case that a large multinational needs you do that ? 

What is more surprising is your approach to local businesses agriculture and aquaculture ( yes I distinctly remember you pulling down the Manx shellfish sector in a previous post ) . Those businesses I called out are local and in most cases they are investing their own money in a challenging environment to make a success for the island . I for one salute them for doing that it’s a shame your preference is to cheer a multinational organisation on a regular basis but I recognise that is your choice . 

TLDR. Enjoy your Sunday. 

PS remember Big Tesco closes at 6pm today.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, IOM said:

What I have noticed is the rapid increases on their goods week on week. Generally starts as a discounted item for a week then when it stops being the item of the week it increases in price from what it was "pre offer"

• Thanks 1

I liked Tesco over the other storesbut what I have found now is that the Lake Rd store is carrying less stock these days, maybe a mis balance between stores, stock wise. 

Recently I have had to visit both Lake Rd and Victoria rd, to tick all my boxes, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mollag said:

I liked Tesco over the other storesbut what I have found now is that the Lake Rd store is carrying less stock these days, maybe a mis balance between stores, stock wise. 

Recently I have had to visit both Lake Rd and Victoria rd, to tick all my boxes, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

They seem to have a lot more short dated items and reduced to clear items now as they try to work out who buys what where and when.. 

• Like 1

A disappointing trip to the Onchan store today could not get two very basic grocery products and the ATM is still not working.    Shoprite may  have been a bit more expensive but staple goods were available Tesco is well stocked but seems a lot of choice of what they want to sell rather than what is a basic food shop.    Bring back Shoprite, not going to happen  🥲 .   and I didn’t see any of the former staff which is a shame.

One of the benefits of a monopoly is that you don't have to give the punters much consideration - after all Lidl or Aldi are very unlikely to arrive and Waitrose is unlikely to fit in with the average Tesco-bred customer.
  • Like 3

Tesco have agreed to sell more local produce. 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/supermarket-steps-in-to-help-manx-potato-producer-with-surplus-stock/

Just a shame the farmers couldn't have acted like grown ups and approached Tesco business to business, rather than shitting the bed at the agricultural show and embarrassing themselves. 

The question remains, do the silent majority of the Manx Public actually want to buy this stuff? Certainly from what I've seen in stores the better quality and often cheaper British potatoes will be sold out, with Manx stuff left on the shelf, even with Tesco selling the Manx stuff at half price. 

The other big question is why aren't Co-op and M&S selling any of this stuff? 

Co-op in particular as they have the largest number of outlets of any retailer on the island - a sort of Monopoly if you will (according to some people).

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

The other big question is why aren't Co-op and M&S selling any of this stuff?

A related question is why no-one on here is freaking out about that fact, while Tesco get a daily kicking…

On 8/26/2024 at 4:59 PM, Frances said:

One of the benefits of a monopoly is that you don't have to give the punters much consideration

51 minutes ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Co-op in particular as they have the largest number of outlets of any retailer on the island - a sort of Monopoly if you will

Hang on - so all the monopoly comments are actually aimed at the Co-op?