Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Don't lose sight of the fact that Tesco exists to make profits for its shareholders, big profits. They're not on Mann for our benefit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68776913

Yes, there are costs for getting their products over here but I do wonder with such massive profits why some of the costs to outlying areas/islands etc aren't absorbed.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kopek said:

Panorama tonight looks at Tesco 'price matching' ! Not all it makes it out to be?

BBC News story on it here.  Basically it's saying that the goods they use for price matching aren't as good as Aldi's.  Like a lot of Panorama 'investigations' it's something a bright sixth-former could have produced, bulked out with a lot of self-satisfaction.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Kopek said:

But who wouldn't want their Chicken Nuggets to have 60% Chicken, Aldi, as opposed to <40% Tesco, that extra protein is important to develop those sixth form brains?😆

Peeling the breadcrumbs off must have been a task!

And have you checked where the chicken comes from? It's not British (or last last time I looked it wasn't) or even European.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

BBC News story on it here.  Basically it's saying that the goods they use for price matching aren't as good as Aldi's.  Like a lot of Panorama 'investigations' it's something a bright sixth-former could have produced, bulked out with a lot of self-satisfaction.

Somebody will be along shortly to say BBC Panorama have overplayed their hand and don’t know what they are talking about ! 

4 minutes ago, IOM said:

Somebody will be along shortly to say BBC Panorama have overplayed their hand and don’t know what they are talking about ! 

Forget the pricing issue.... if they want a real story they should do a trace of where the chicken comes from and the lack of adequate animal welfare processes used in rearing, transport and slaughter. Why they need to import chicken & chicken parts is beyond me. 

• Like 3

On 8/29/2024 at 5:04 PM, Tinpot said:

I see Tesco are currently advertising for staff.

£12.02 an hour!!! And not great hours.  Is it just me that thinks that’s appalling?

It's above the minimum wage.

https://www.jibble.io/news/tynwald-isle-of-man-minimum-wage-2024#:~:text=Labour Laws%2C Minimum Wage%2C World&text=The Isle of Man minimum,the living wage by 2025.

17 minutes ago, Moghrey Mie said:
On 8/29/2024 at 5:04 PM, Tinpot said:

I see Tesco are currently advertising for staff.

£12.02 an hour!!! And not great hours.  Is it just me that thinks that’s appalling?

It's above the minimum wage.

It's also not what they're offering:

Our Tesco Colleague rate of pay starts from £12.02 an hour, however roles in the Isle of Man attract an additional location pay supplement which increases the overall hourly rate of pay to £12.85.  

There's a lot of jobs on offer, though mainly for 'festive colleagues' or in Peel.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

Don't lose sight of the fact that Tesco exists to make profits for its shareholders, big profits. They're not on Mann for our benefit:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68776913

Yes, there are costs for getting their products over here but I do wonder with such massive profits why some of the costs to outlying areas/islands etc aren't absorbed.

Been around this before on here. The profits are far from massive considering the market capitalisation of the company, and last year's profit was under a billion. Both figures are before tax. Many of the prices in Tesco superstores here are the same as in the UK, including Aldi price matches, Clubcard offers and others.

Of course they are here to make a profit, as is every business everywhere.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's well known. They try to put a product out to match the price of the discounter while bearing the costs of a full service supermarket. Some of the products that are scraping to make a margin are BOUND to have a compromised specification. Not rocket science.