Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

24 minutes ago, Beelzebub3 said:

Usually there are a lot of restrictions in a built up area and stricter planning as well as if building housing sewerage and storm water drains need to be adequate ,this is a lot easier when in an non built up area, although services etc may be on site they may not be where they are required and costs a lot of time and money to move where required. the other problem in town is that access and egress onto the site can be a nightmare as road closures etc may be required as the area will be still open to resident's business in the area also.

There is a premium though for flats on the riverside/waterfront. It's not like the brownfield sites at say the Park Rd site where the only benefit is being in town.

Our concern should be that UK has had a Competition Act since 1998 and the Isle of Man has still not written the secondary legislation needed for our Competition Act which received the royal assent in 2021.

Why don't we just cut and paste these things?

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1998/41/contents

Edited by Moghrey Mie

I heard it was rushed through as Lidl had made an offer and government was worried about a civil service exodus into the retail sector if they bought Shoprite. 

FD72282F-A534-4A48-8F27-C17EA119AEC3.jpeg

• Haha 6

when do tesco start officially filling the shoprite shelves and taking the money from the tills ?   i ask because i've been a 2 shoprites in the last week where there are quite a few  empty spaces where lines/items tesco won't continue to sell have been sold off cheap , they were looking like lloyds chemists.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, WTF said:

when do tesco start officially filling the shoprite shelves and taking the money from the tills ?   i ask because i've been a 2 shoprites in the last week where there are quite a few  empty spaces where lines/items tesco won't continue to sell have been sold off cheap , they were looking like lloyds chemists.

Already have taken over 

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

Plenty of Tesco stock in both Port Erin and Ramsey today.

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Some Tesco eggs came home in my wife’s shopping today.

Cheap, but horrible compared to the Gellings ones Shoprite did or from a farm.

If this is what saving 1.20 on six eggs looks like then I want Shoprite back.

Gellings eggs are ok, those Coole girl ones from the Ballamodha are much better, Faraghers eggs from out Andreas are good too. No excuse whatsoever to buy imported eggs.

Shop local.

• Like 4

Just now, TheTeapot said:

Gellings eggs are ok, those Coole girl ones from the Ballamodha are much better, Faraghers eggs from out Andreas are good too. No excuse whatsoever to buy imported eggs.

Shop local.

We pretty much always do.  She was tempted by the low price and like I said they were vile compared to what we are used to.  It won’t happen again.

32 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Already stocking with Tesco lines, but there are no Tesco clubcard offers and lots of signs apologising for the gaps, but there is a transition period. 

to be honest some pricing was what prompted my post ,   a litre of gordons gin is 24 quid in  tesco but 18 with a club card ,  it is just over 25 quid in shoprite , i dont see why the stock price would be over a quid difference between the 2 ,  and will club card prices be rolled out island wide ?

4 minutes ago, WTF said:

to be honest some pricing was what prompted my post ,   a litre of gordons gin is 24 quid in  tesco but 18 with a club card ,  it is just over 25 quid in shoprite , i dont see why the stock price would be over a quid difference between the 2 ,  and will club card prices be rolled out island wide ?

It will be a while before Clubcard offers are available in the ex-Shoprite stores I reckon.  They're going to have to alter all the systems and perhaps install new tills etc.  It will probably take place when they rebrand the stores, which I suspect will be done one at a time.  And of course in the ones that become Tesco Express, the same offers may not apply, just as prices may be higher.

At the moment they must just be entering Tesco stock items into the Shoprite system in the same way that they used to put in Sainsbury's.  Whether they are using the same prices as Lake Road for own-brand I don't know, but they may well leave branded stuff, such as Gordon's, as it is.

20 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It will be a while before Clubcard offers are available in the ex-Shoprite stores I reckon.  They're going to have to alter all the systems and perhaps install new tills etc.  It will probably take place when they rebrand the stores, which I suspect will be done one at a time.  And of course in the ones that become Tesco Express, the same offers may not apply, just as prices may be higher.

At the moment they must just be entering Tesco stock items into the Shoprite system in the same way that they used to put in Sainsbury's.  Whether they are using the same prices as Lake Road for own-brand I don't know, but they may well leave branded stuff, such as Gordon's, as it is.

Or, perhaps until the acquisition is actually completed, (the announcement was 'will' rather than 'has')  the agreement is to terminate/run off their other supply contracts and take replenishment from Tesco.