Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

Chair of the commissioners Jamie Horton says it's an 'exciting' change for the town and hopes it will encourage more businesses to move to the south. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/castletown-commissioners-say-tesco-move-will-be-an-exciting-change-for-the-town/

Exciting time for Castletown, not since the town turn from Gas street lighting to electricity have there been so excitement in the town.  I believe Mr Speaker will be doing the opening ceremony, in his Albert Arkwright costume. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Holte End said:

Exciting time for Castletown,

You do not understand big business. Anyone who is involved in big business is permanently in a state of excitement e.g.:

"Welcome to the Manx Development Corporation (MDC).

We are an exciting, new company"

Permanently excited , but not much capable of original thought.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Holte End said:

Chair of the commissioners Jamie Horton says it's an 'exciting' change for the town and hopes it will encourage more businesses to move to the south. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/castletown-commissioners-say-tesco-move-will-be-an-exciting-change-for-the-town/

Exciting time for Castletown, not since the town turn from Gas street lighting to electricity have there been so excitement in the town.  I believe Mr Speaker will be doing the opening ceremony, in his Albert Arkwright costume. 

Did they not object to the Tesco last time when tried to open in Castletown 🤔🙄

27 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

That may have had to do with the identity of the freehold owner of the site, rather than who was going to operate the store.

31 minutes ago, Manxman1234 said:

I don't think so, not the Commissioners based on this from 2011:

https://www.energyfm.net/cms/news_story_178526.html

But the problem wasn't about a Tesco as such (which they couldn't stop), but the associated licence (and Tesco wouldn't and didn't open without one).  From memory there were particularly worries about there being effectively an off-licence till 11pm or midnight.  I think the objections came from other retailers and H&B.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Welcome to the Manx Development Corporation (MDC).

How did the MDC come to be part of this thread???  Do you have agenda???

Catletown have a problem with footfall and maybe the Comms are thinking this could be our saviour. Whether it will or not is not the point, do they, the Comms, do nothing and be seen to do nothing or do they hope tha the Tesco branch will bring more people into Castltown?

Stay still or advance, if you're a Castletown rate payer, what do you want? Same rates and nothing new or same rates and an attempt to raise the   profile of , where was it again? Oh, that sleepy lil town in the south that is really not worth visiting!!!

Not sure what I expected last night but it was kind of a sad non event when they closed the little Switzerland one. A last staff group pic, maybe three customers in the last hour, and the usual hostility towards cameras even in the last moments (would have been nice to get a pic or video of the last checkout transaction for example). Maybe the place didn’t mean as much to people as I thought. Zero media or politicians either. Just closed the door and it’s no more. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Not sure what I expected last night but it was kind of a sad non event when they closed the little Switzerland one. A last staff group pic, maybe three customers in the last hour, and the usual hostility towards cameras even in the last moments (would have been nice to get a pic or video of the last checkout transaction for example). Maybe the place didn’t mean as much to people as I thought. Zero media or politicians either. Just closed the door and it’s no more. 

The stock was considerably run down over this last week.

Was talking to one of the checkout staff and they see the move to Tesco as a good thing, better terms and conditions.  

Wish them all the best. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I bumped into a friend in there on Thursday evening. He was quite upset that it was all coming to an end, he's not a person that takes to change very well but I guess we all like things that have served us well over a long time to remain the same? 

I can recall Shoprite in its early days and that's fifty years ago! It got me thinking of how all of the familiar businesses of my childhood which seemed so well established have gone, Woolworths, is the big one but more recently the Lexicon bookshop. Very few are still trading, but Devereau's, Colebourne's and Harrison and Garrett are the only local businesses that I can recall which are still operating?

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I can recall Shoprite in its early days and that's fifty years ago! It got me thinking of how all of the familiar businesses of my childhood which seemed so well established have gone, Woolworths, is the big one but more recently the Lexicon bookshop. Very few are still trading, but Devereau's, Colebourne's and Harrison and Garrett are the only local businesses that I can recall which are still operating?

But if you went back another 60 years to Edwardian times, most of those familiar businesses wouldn't have existed either (though Devereau's is older).  There's a constant changeover of businesses, often because there is no one to continue running existing ones (which was the situation with Shoprite).

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But if you went back another 60 years to Edwardian times, most of those familiar businesses wouldn't have existed either (though Devereau's is older).  There's a constant changeover of businesses, often because there is no one to continue running existing ones (which was the situation with Shoprite).

Yes indeed Roger, it almost seems that the passing down of mature businesses to the third or fourth generation is a thing of the past? There's probably many reasons for this, not least that they may never have moved the business with the times and relied on a dying customer base, or that there is no interest in the next generation, or any members to take it on?