Tesco buy all nine Shoprite supermarkets- Monopoly?

darenisepic

5 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Yes indeed Roger, it almost seems that the passing down of mature businesses to the third or fourth generation is a thing of the past? There's probably many reasons for this, not least that they may never have moved the business with the times and relied on a dying customer base, or that there is no interest in the next generation, or any members to take it on?

All of those things, but also because the next generation have often done well for themselves and are in professional jobs that pay better, often far away.  Sometimes an existing employee will take over, maybe after have marrying into the family, as happened with Robinsons.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gladys said:

Yep, they're going to give the shelves and freezers a wipe down, put a Tesco sign up and be open by the end of January.  (According to Kopek). 

I know you were just kidding, but I reckon they will gut the whole store and it will be all new 'Tesco'. Bottom up refit. I hope they have a cafe on the mezzanine. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I know you were just kidding, but I reckon they will gut the whole store and it will be all new 'Tesco'. Bottom up refit. I hope they have a cafe on the mezzanine. 

Of course  they will!  It was just a gentle jibe at Kopek who couldn't understand why they would take until March to do the refit. (Sorry Kopek )

I went in on Friday and have to say I was surprised to see the empty shelves (ie the majority) being wiped down.  The shelves would never be restocked, but I suppose it was just being assiduous. 

Edited by Gladys

On 1/6/2024 at 12:30 PM, Holte End said:

Chair of the commissioners Jamie Horton says it's an 'exciting' change for the town and hopes it will encourage more businesses to move to the south. https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/castletown-commissioners-say-tesco-move-will-be-an-exciting-change-for-the-town/

Exciting time for Castletown, not since the town turn from Gas street lighting to electricity have there been so excitement in the town.  I believe Mr Speaker will be doing the opening ceremony, in his Albert Arkwright costume. 

I suggest Mr Horton takes a little time to review how the Tesco business model works . A cursory piece of internet research will tell you that Tesco closed all their in store meat counters last year so I think it’s something of a stretch to believe they will install one in what is likely to be Tesco Express in the Isle of Man ! 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

I suggest Mr Horton takes a little time to review how the Tesco business model works . A cursory piece of internet research will tell you that Tesco closed all their in store meat counters last year so I think it’s something of a stretch to believe they will install one in what is likely to be Tesco Express in the Isle of Man ! 

He's in cloud cuckoo land everything is prepacked like it or lump it!

8 hours ago, Max Power said:

I bumped into a friend in there on Thursday evening. He was quite upset that it was all coming to an end, he's not a person that takes to change very well but I guess we all like things that have served us well over a long time to remain the same? 

I can recall Shoprite in its early days and that's fifty years ago! It got me thinking of how all of the familiar businesses of my childhood which seemed so well established have gone, Woolworths, is the big one but more recently the Lexicon bookshop. Very few are still trading, but Devereau's, Colebourne's and Harrison and Garrett are the only local businesses that I can recall which are still operating?

Some of the pubs are older.  For example the Marine in Peel ..Had lunch yesterday but I think its up for sale..:-(

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I’m hoping we get F&F clothing in one of the stores somewhere.

9 hours ago, NoTailT said:

I’m hoping we get F&F clothing in one of the stores somewhere.

It would be good but I can't see it happening. Often with clothing its stocked by merchandisers and not by the supermarket staff. Too many logistical headaches with operating off shore.

19 hours ago, Max Power said:

it almost seems that the passing down of mature businesses to the third or fourth generation is a thing of the past?  there is no interest in the next generation, or any members to take it on?

It's fairly common actually,  "from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" is often spouted.  Lots of studies into it as well.

It's a big thing in the finance industry trying to get the third generation involved, or why Trusts are set up for succession, to avoid them blowing it all. 

Basically generation 1 sets it up, works hard, sacrifices, eventually starts to see a benefit.  Generation 2 sees the work involved, often brought in to do menial portions of work at a young age, sees the increase to their family wealth/standard of living, so is incentivized to also work hard, carry on the business.  Generation 3 only sees the money, apathy, were always spoiled etc, probably now a public school where they are encourage to either be a lawyer or just go and travel the world and document it on instagram. 

• Like 5